Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
pound99
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1836
Hanging pictures on walls of RV

We would like to hang some light weight pictures on the walls of our RV. Does anyone have any suggestions what to use to hang them. Thanks for any advice.

pound99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
pound99,

we use double faced sticky tape, the 3M company makes a super duty kind, we found in the automotive department at walley world.

Hangs stuff real good! Even a wood artwork piece that is not real lightweight.

Enjoy! I am sure others will come along with some other great suggestions!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with Carol on the double stick tape but I also use Velcro. I have a couple of my small Gormans up with Velcro. That allows you to take them down when traveling, if they are valuable for instance, and then stick them right up when you set up. I haven't found many places in the 3400 to hang pictures. One place that I know I'm going to is to take down the mirror in the toilet room and replace with a picture.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Watch the stickies... a sticky hook on the end of the kitchen cabinet removed the paper wood grain finish right off the cardboard cabinets.

The doors are real wood... the cabinets are hardboard coverd with oak colord plastic... paper... wahatever sort of stuff... it peels right off.

Ended up with a couple of nice little brass screws... drill a pilot hole so the screw doesn't chew up the hardboad too much.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Believe it or not, a straight pin will hold lightweight pictures! Just tap in lightly with a hammer,holding carefully so that it will not bend. Keep tapping until there is about 1/4' still sticking out. Then hang using one of those sawtooth thingies on the picture. We discovered this early on in our 16 moves--you get real tired of patching all those $%$##$ holes that regular nails and screws leave--so for small stuff this works great and the hole when you remove it (using needle nose pliers) is almost invisible and needs no patch.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Haven't done this yet, but plan to put cork squares on the pantry doors in the 3400. Then use push pins to hold the pictures. The frames just weigh too much and we want our favorite people (grandsons) to have a place for there artwork. This way we can keep it current. You can put the matting over the picture to give it a nicer look and it is easy to replace the picture as the kids grow...This might also work on the frig door.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Carol, when using the double sided tape how does it effect the walls when you want to remove items? I tried it hanging a paper towel holder on the under side of the cabinets since I wasn't sure that was where I actually wanted one and like Gruffy I ended up with a peeled place. Fortunately I wanted the holder in the same place and Jack mounted it with screws.

Bowie - I like your idea will give it a try.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
CountryGuy

What did you guys use to hang your clock and do you take it down while traveling or leave it up?
Thanks,
Kalamity & Bob
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I go to Wallie World and buy regular, but good quality hangers and pre drill the area I want to put the hanger. I then use musium wax to keep it from doing the dance on the wall while going down the road, after a long trip there will be rub marks on the wall eventually.
I would let the wife do it but,,,, I dont know she has a box of too big of nails. so I just do it.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:00 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quick second to Gruffy above. We had the same experience. Quite a surprise. From a little adhesive backed calendar given to us by a generous campground host.We now have a little medallion mounted there now, covering the ugly 'peeled' spot.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:06 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
To all, who asked:

Our clock was originally hung over the door, gold clock, white wall, no contrast, besides, it was in the EXACT location we wanted that wood raccoon, affectionately called Razzy! Had him in the other trailer for years, AL LOVES that artwork!

Clock was hung with screws by Keystone, moved clock to end of kitchen cabinet, dark color, contrast to the gold clock, mmmmn, works for us! Al hung clock again with 2 screws. We do not take it down to travel, only to replace batteries and change time zones!

Razzy was hung with a LOT, and I do mean a LOT of the double faced sticky tape! He is over the door, and we are thrilled with where he is, and how he looks. He will not be moved again. He will hang there till we no longer have this Montana. We will do what we did when we removed him from the TT, IF there is any damage from the removal process, we will put something up there, go to walley world and find an inexpensive piece of art, put it up there over the holes/tears.

I have a few other things up with sticky tape, I made sure I was SURE that was where I wanted them first, VERY sure. Once they go up, they stay up, until we sell, then they either stay or I replace to cover up any damage.

Photos of the twins (only grandchildren) are placed in frames with NO glass, put on dresser in bedroom, and I also have a couple in those clear plastic frames with their own holder (look like a "L") They are small ones and fit on top of one of the window valances. Have to take those down when we travel.

I have other little things pinned or hooked to the valances. I do not remove them to travel, but I surely COUNT them before the slides are moved! I have some very small, very light weight travel memoriablia that I wanted on top of some of the valances. I put velcro on them, the longer looped part of the velcro, sticky taped velcro. Sticky side to the memoriablia, long looped side to fabric. The long loops will hook into the fabric on the valances. Just wiggle the item around till the long loops catch on the fabric. Done with care this will NOT damage the fabric (at least so far, in almost 2 years, I see no damage).

My goal is to have as little stuff to stow as possible for travel with Montana. Packing this wonderful HUGE thing for travel days is already a challenge, I used to be able to tear down and stow on the TT in less than 30 minutes. I have yet to even come close to that time from with Montana! Montana is a LOT of rig!

Sticky tape WILL pull the fake wood vinyl stuff off the walls, there is NO doubt about that. It probably will leave some damage on the heavier white stuff on the walls.

The suggestion of using a pin is interesting, Bowie, have you tried this yet, was wondering how hard it would be to get a pin INTO the walls of Montana. Your trick is one of my favorites in the stick built.

(Side note: Kalamaity, I am so happy that you have decided to keep your rig, hope you will find ways to help your hubby set up or drive or something, so that you two can continue to enjoy your Montana for years to come! We are all pulling for you two!)

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:05 AM   #12
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
To get the double sided tape off, try a hair dryer. The heat makes the glue soft. When hanging, position the tape so you can direct the heat at the tape. After it is off, some citrus oil will take care of any remaining glue spots. BTW, This works well for bumper stickers too.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I just saw some hangers on QVC. They are thin wire hangers that go into the hollow wall and then support a lot of weight by their design. Look here QVC Hangers and search for Item Number F8768

Thanks to whomever "fixed" my link - I tried to remember how to do that, but forgot and was short of time to go find out !
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #14
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
Carol,
Thank you so much for the good wishes on not having to sell. I tell you it would be easier to put one of our sons up for sale on ebay. Just kidding. It really feels good to get to read on here and learn nifty tricks from others.

We are very excited to be able to continue on. Bob normally goes up ahead of me and then, after I'm done with work, I drive up. There are many in our group who offer to help him set up and sometimes he'll accept their offers, but sometimes it's really hard for him to accept help. We may find that we'll just go up after I'm done working and sometimes I'll take an afternoon or day off.

Thanks also for the tips on hanging the clock. Our rig didn't come with one, but I had found a cool 'vintage' looking clock with grapes & wine glasses (that match the border of Monty) at a garage sale. Last year I stuck some velcro up where you have yours located now, but I always pulled it down for travel. We'd like something more permanent.
Kalamity
Old 03-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
First - Kalamity and Bob - Bob I hope you will let people help you. When I became disabled about 10 years ago, it was so hard. I had been a Tom Boy and always pretty active. Played and coached Girls Softball, rode my bike all over town, hunted, climbed trees, etc.. And here I was at first in a wheel chair and then walking with a cane. And they couldn't fix it. But finally I decided this wasn't going to stop me. Okay sometimes I fall because I forget to pick up this stupid leg that doesn't always work. I couldn't go to RV shows and our beloved railroad shows and most of all my Jimmy Buffett concerts. Sooo we bought me an electric cart to do all of the above. And if people want to help me, I let them. I can do more because of them. They enable me and it is okay. There is freedom in this RVing so grab it.
Second - There are these little clips that are for office cubicles. They work great on our valances. They have two pins that go down into the fabric and then you can hang over the clip or use the clip to clip things there. They are pretty strong also. Office supply stores have them. I have my "you don't see dirt, it's angel dust" plaque on one. (I collect angels.)
Old 03-15-2005, 03:17 AM   #16
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
Morning, Sue.

I've often wondered if you were a Buffet fan or had winged babies or both because of your name. Some of our parrots travel with us.

Bob had a stroke a bit over 10 years ago, and, yes, it can be very hard for him to accept help outside our sons and myself, but he's working on it. I know it would be hard for me to ask, but I think it's even harder for a man. His right side is partially paralyzed so he uses a cane with his left hand (which leaves no hands free for him to carry things usually) and, like you, he has a leg that will sometimes give him fits. I know it's not much fun for me sometimes so I can only imagine how hard it is for him. A cart has been discussed before and we have to revisit that thought in the near future.

Thanks for the tips on the clips.
Kalamity
Old 03-15-2005, 08:58 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Kalamity,
I hope we can meet someday so I can see your parrots. I love them. Can you post a picture?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:33 AM   #18
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
I use the smallest nail/brad that will do the job... then I use that stuff that looks like putty to keep it straight on the wall when traveling. I also use the putty-like stuff to hold a few knick nacks in place while traveling. Works to even stick things on the fridge. I plan to use goo be gone if I have a problem removing all the remains when necessary. So far have not had a problem and no torn paper or wood veneer.
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:17 AM   #19
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I've been pondering the question of how to hang pictures myself. 3M has hooks of different sizes and velcro strips that have an adhesive that is supposed to be removable with no damage. I have several sizes of these but have not attached them to any parts of the Montana yet. Anyone have experience with this product?
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #20
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We are having REALLY good luck with the Velcro commercial grade (black, 2" wide in the 4ft roll). Much better adhesion than the standard-grade white or black 1/2" roll. We've used it at the corners (1"x2") of heavier photos and clocks. We test on occasion to be sure it won't fall. Good as the day we hung it!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote