Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2005, 05:38 AM   #21
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I agree with Trailer Trash 2. Just a short while back, my sister-in-law locked the keys t the TT inside the TT. It was 7:00 PM on a Friday night. We called the dealer they said that we would have to bring the trailer down on Saturday morning for them to unlock it. We called a locksmith who stated he could not come out until the morning and it would cost $100. We have a 2005 327RKS TT which has a living room window close to the front door. In a manner of about 3 minutes I was in the trailer. I simply pulled on the front window pane just enough to reach the screen. I pushed on the screen and by standing on the stairs was able to get my arm in and unlock the door. No damage and no one knew the better. I don’t claim to have any talent in this area but, if I can do it that simply I am sure someone who does this type of thing for a living would have no problem getting in. The point is exactly what Trailer Trash 2 stated. If someone wants in they will get in. And, in my case they could probably do it in plain sight and no one would even notice especially if the awning is out. We keep our valuables hid and locked. Most times our dog is in the TT when we go out when staying in a park. What I have found is deterrent is the best weapon. Don’t make it easy. Hide and lock up what you can. If possible don’t leave the awning extended when you leave your unit to go sightseeing etc. As for someone breaking in when you are inside your unit, well there are other deterrents and I will leave it at that. In 30 plus years of camping both in tents and RV’s we have only had a problem once and it was our fault. Overnight, someone took our kayak paddles that were left out on the picnic table. We have witnessed several unfortunate events that have happened to other campers but again it was their own fault by not taking measures to properly protect their property.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida

Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:32 AM   #22
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jeff Heiser
We have witnessed several unfortunate events that have happened to other campers but again it was their own fault by not taking measures to properly protect their property.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff, when you witnessed the trailers be broken in to or vandilised, didnt you report it to the managagement of the park or a rainger? or even take a picture, I think that a picture is worth a million dollars, just turn it over to the athorities or park management.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:00 AM   #23
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
TT2,
We have stopped several, we have woke up in the morning and witnessed the park ranger taking a statement from the unfortunate and we have seen people go into a trailer only to find out later that they were not the owners and left with the goods. The last one hurts and has taught my whole family a good lesson.

What has happened in the past is you just pulled into your site, its late evening (10:00 ish) and you see what you think is a neighbor coming out of their rig or their vehicle. Only to find out in the morning they were not the owners and several campers are missing items. MAN does that stink especially when you see the person(s) and you say hi and they the same. When I believe or feel something is strange or wrong I always address it. My Navy background has left me very well equipped to stop most bad guys one way or another (most times now by reporting it to the police or ranger but there has been the occasion…).

What I have learned over the years is every time I see a young person out late or up very early I stop and talk to them. Most times they give it up right there if they were up to no good. The adults are the hard ones to catch in the act. But, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. There have been several times I got an ear full from someone I have asked what they were doing only to win them over once I explained.

Believe me it’s very easy to witness something (a break in or a thief in someone’s vehicle) and not even know what is happening until the victim raises the FOULED flag. My point is this. If you take the right actions to deter the bad guy most times the bad guy will go to the next unsuspecting victim and leave you alone. At night when we are in a cg and we go out we leave the outside porch light on, I don’t leave the awning out, I make sure the window by the door is closed tight, I leave the dog (who has a very deep bark and doesn’t like strangers), we lock the compartments and put up things we don’t want taken. Inside the TT when traveling, we always keep valuables hidden and locked up. Leaving things out and in obvious places just makes it easy if the bad guy does get in.

All of us RV’ers need to do our part. Be proactive against the bad guys when ever possible, be watchful, know your surroundings and always take the proper steps to deter (not make easy) the bad guy.

One last thing; A while back in our old TT we were parked in a rest area. We pulled in very late and we all were very tired (we were headed home and I just couldn’t make it any further). No sooner than we had lain down to rest than someone was knocking on the trailer door. The person outside wanted in to talk and needed help (BS). My dog also thought it was BS. After much barking, me threatening to release the dog (who would have seriously tore the person up) and the sound of me possibly having something with a little bit more stopping power than my dog the person on the other side of door left. We though nothing more of it just that it was pretty strange, the dog slept at the door. In the morning I walked up to the restrooms and in the car parking lot there were lots of police. Evidently, possibly the same person who had knocked on our door had robbed several travelers over night who had stopped to rest. We learned a lot from that but the biggest is that if there ever is a next time regardless we call the Highway Patrol to report it.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 03-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #24
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Jeff, I can vision what you are saying and agree with what you wrote, I'm sorry I got the wrong impession on the prevous post. I have never had any situation simular to the one that you discribed happining to you, and hope that it never happen to me, I dont know how the outcome would have tranpired if to me. no one never konws what evil lerks out there. I do believe that a dog can be a deturant to would be criminal acts. Was that insident in Florda? I have heard of stuff like that happining years back in Florida but thought it was over now.

TT2
Old 03-02-2005, 04:52 AM   #25
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
TT2,
No, it actually happened in TN on our way back from IL. It was just one of those things we now chaulk up to expericence. But, we were camped in Florida at Salt Springs over Memorial Weekend 3 years ago when we saw an individual come out of a trailer next to us, he talked with us and went into the TV like he owned it only to come to find out IT WASN'T HIS. The owner was down at the spring and had left everything open. The owner had a few things taken but was VERY LUCKY. The ranger felt that me and my wife talking to the bad guy scared him and caused him to leave. That's what I meant by witnessing someone being taken but we never even knew it until after the fact. The bad guy was a cool character, he really was. It takes all kinds and this guy was a pro.

Stay Safe,
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida

Old 03-02-2005, 05:47 PM   #26
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I agree Jeff it probably made him very nervous, he sure had a lot of B---s didn't he. drove through TN didnt impress me very much, some of the people are nice.