Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Montana_2821
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2821
Big Truck Adventure

This message is from Jeanne, Rigged & Ready.

Driving our BIG truck home from the dealer was quite an experience for a small car driver like me. Ford F350, 4/4, crew cab, long bed monster was an event just climbing in to drive. After all instructions were given I Immediatley failed the first test of waiting to start the diesel engine. Bad start, so said the instructer. I bravely smiled and got it right the second try. Next I was straning to put my foot on the gas and I asked where the electric button was to move the seat forward. It is manual, so said the instructor. Big surprise, I couldn't move the seat. Help was available.

Ready and set I roughly made it out of the lot and in to traffic. I had a twenty mile ride ahead on the Fl. Turnpike. Driving along was beginning to feel comfortable when I noticed the hood was moving in the wind. I figured the dealer was expecting me to review the engine, like a man, and forgot to close the hood. Wrong. I looked for an exit and drove off to find a place to pull in and out so no backing out was required. This happened three times before arriving with the hood never closing properly. I needed a man because Bill closed it without a problem.

One final note, when parked at a light exiting the turnpike, A very small car driven by a young man, glanced up at me in the truck and after a shocked look and a smile from me we both cracked up laughing. A great ending to a very nervous ride.

The truck and I have now become very familiar friends.

Thanks for reading, Jeanne

Montana_2821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
You go, Girl! What a delightful description of what I know to be an extremely nerve-wracking experience! I too was a small car driver and was totally intimidated by our F350. I finally got past that so when we got the F250, I was okay. We have the crew cab too, but ours is a short bed. I still park so that I can pull in straight and end up using two spaces ... I can get it centered between the lines, I'm just afraid of the back end hanging out.

And the shared laugh with the young man ... absolutely priceless!

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Heh, Heh, I got nuthin' to say. Congrats!!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Assuming the truck is an auto. If you really wanted to have fun, you should have got the stick shift. LOL.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
Good luck with the new truck. Good choice. You will be a pro in a couple of weeks.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Oh Jeanne, I can really relate to your adventure. You see I drive a small car and the first time I tried backing our F350 (Crew Cab, long bed, 4 x 4) I couldn't believe how long that "big truck" seemed. My chuckle came shortly after we bought it when I decided to surprise Tom by taking the truck to the car wash and getting it nice and shiny before picking him up at the airport. Well I was having a great time and suddenly got that feeling that there were "eyes" watching me. Sure enough, when I turned around there stood a man who just chuckled and said. "That's a mighty big truck for a little lady like you." My answer was, "Oh, you should see it when I put my 35 foot fifth wheel behind it." LOL
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Enjoy your big new truck. We had a Tahoe before upgrading to the Silverado. Terrie has driven the Silverado quite a bit. I think little ladies look good driving big trucks. Like you said, you get used to it. Have fun.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:06 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Lorraine was intimidated in the beginning but has become accustomed to driving ours.
Now if I could just get her behind the wheel when the Montana is hooked up. Actually her not pulling the Montana is partly my fault. I am not a very patient instructor and she knows that only too well.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
Montana_2821
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2821
Hey the Bill half of R&R likes the lady behind the wheel of the big truck also! And we fully intend for her to do some of the driving with the 5th wheel in tow also.

We've both enjoyed being on this forum. Jeanne hasn't been one much for dealing with the computer. In fact this was her first post ever on a discussion forum. She gave me lot's of advice on a couple of other posts and in changing our name, but this post was her first. She did a great job getting the truck home and in posting here.

All of you have made us feel comfortable and as we get the rig home and start using it you can expect more questions from us.

Thanks from both of us.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Jeanne thank you for sharing your adventure. You give a gal like me a push in the right direction. I do drive our truck on a regular basis but it's only an extended cab, SWR and a short box. That alone is hard enough to maneuver in parking lots and tight places.

Congratulations on driving the truck and also on your first post. You done good girl!

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:33 AM   #11
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Great job Jeanne! Don't you feel just wonderful about what you have accomplished?? If you want to have some interesting reading, there was a thread a while back about "How many ladies drive their rigs?" That's not the exact title but close. If you can find that thread and read it, you will be much encouraged as there are a bunch of truly gutsy women on this forum and it is really a treat to read about them. Good luck to you and keep us up to date on your progress!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:43 AM   #12
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Just checked--the thread is locked so do a search and check for archived. The actual title is "Ladies--do you drive the rig?" Enjoy reading.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jeanne, to add to Bill and Pat's post, there is at least one single female member of MOC who is fulltiming with a large Montana. There may be more but for sure there's one I'm aware of.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:41 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Terrie has driven once with the Montana behind the truck. I remember last year an extended posting on women driving with the trailer in tow. It was very enlightening. We're aren't to the stage where we have any medical issues, but accidents and illnesses happen and its good to know either can hook up and drive the rig.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #15
Montana_2821
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2821
Many thanks to everyone who responded to my Big Truck Adventure. I am new at posting as well as using a computer. Bill always encouraged me to learn, but I was afraid I would be as addicted as he was. I think my fear was well founded, I am loving it!

All the responses were fun and interesting. I feel like I am making new friends. The idea of so many women driving these big trucks and also pulling their 5,er (a new buzzword for me), is encourageing. I intend to follow all suggestions and read as much as I find the time to spend on this new change in our lifestyle.

A note to Dick & Patty in Lake Orion. I have Family in Oxford and I was born in Lapeer County Hospital. My maiden name is Coulter and my family in Oxford are the Rossman's. When we lived in MI we had a dairy farm in Metamora. We visit in that area often. We moved to Fl. when I was small in 1948. Small world isn't it?

One last note of interest. This big truck is parked in our driveway. I believe our neighbors are in shock. My friends just look at that truck in wonder. My women friends say "not me". As for me, I can't wait to pull up to Lowes and tell the garden center to load up thirty bags of mulch. I could never buy more than five bags in my little car. Yeh!!

Jeanne
Old 01-20-2005, 03:34 AM   #16
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Jeanne ... You remind me of Diana (dianancolin) who told me at the Rally that if she was going to drive a truck it would be one with attitude! Don't know about the truck, but you sound like you have the right attitude!

I finally got over my intimidation of the BIG truck ... now, with my lousy sense of direction, I just have to get past my fear of getting hopelessly lost when venturing out on my own.

Look forward to seeing your future posts, Jeanne!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #17
Montana_2821
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2821
Vicki, you have Jeanne right, she has the attitude. And that's a good thing, she was with me when we bought the truck, we each drove it halfway home and when it had to go back to be serviced about 30 miles away she dropped our car that was traded in off and picked it up which lead to the post.

I have no doubt that she will do a fair amount of driving when we start traveling with the 5'er in tow.

She doesn't back down from much and that includes me!

Old 01-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #18
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Hi, "One ton" Glenda drives our Ram 3500 dually whenever a second vehicle is needed. Shes not a very big lady but looks tough driving that rig to work in downtown Hamilton to a little parking spot for the day. Even when we had the 6sp manual in our 01 Ram 2500 she was never afraid of it. She has pulled the 5er through Montreal once but she's not interested in backing it up. It's all in the attitude!

Go Jeanne!!! and Glenda!!!
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #19
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
30 bags of mulch - talk about your yuppie shopping cart. Now you can skip the bags and go for the bulk stuff.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #20
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I wish I could get Kathy interest in driving while towing the Monty. She drives the truck great, and is in fact a much more cautious driver than I am, but is not brave enough to tackle the towing. Maybe one day!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote