Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thinking about making a new product for Rv'ers?

This is not a sales pitch at all. It's just Market Research. I have been trying to think of a way outside of new 40 hour a week job to make a little more money to help me climb back out of the financial hole I have recently landed in. A recent post got me thinking about a product I could make for the RV market.

The product is "Hitch Covers" for 5th wheel hitches. I know I am very happy with my "homemade" version and I think because you cannot buy a decent cover for you hitch, there may be a market for them. I do know that my hitch, that has been covered for three years, looks so much better than those that have not. I also think it's a little bit of anti theft prevention. They don't know until they get the cover off how easy it will be to steal. The way I secure it to the bed rails is my own design and it is easy on and easy off.

For you 5'er drivers on the forum, do you think there would be a market for such a product? This cover would cover your entire hitch.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Fla native, I would be interested in seeing a picture of your's the one I have on mind just covers the top and not the rails at all. Yes I think you may have a good idea, I know that I have seen some trucks with their hitches all rusted and dirty.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I also would be interested in seeing a picture. I have a SuperSlider (3K) that is humongus. It is a lot of hitch to cover.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
That would be a good idea. I see that CW just started carrying covers for the pin boxes and tag a long a-frames. These are a little padded to protect You from getting hurt or dirty from them.

Sounds good to me.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Interesting thought. Do most folks leave their hitch in the TV? I remove mine when I am not using it, i.e., when the Monty is in dry dock. Covering it may be a better option than wrestling that 70# around. As far as theft is concerned, why not use at least one locking pin when attaching hitch to bed rail? U-Haul has them for the towing hitch inserts and they look very much the same size as the pins used to fasten the 5er hitch.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Sounds like a good idea. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:12 PM   #7
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Interesting thought. Do most folks leave their hitch in the TV? I remove mine when I am not using it, i.e., when the Monty is in dry dock.
I think this is a good idea! I keep my hitch in during the winter for extra weight, which helps with traction in the snow. That and a couple of 60 pound tubes of sand and I've found I don't need to use 4x4 as much. I know quite a few people with 5er hitches up this way do the same.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used to take ours out for the winter, then later just left it in all the time. Now we're fulltiming it stays in the TV all the time, even when we're stationary for two months.

I'd also like to see pictures, BJ. I go back and forth on whether I'd buy one. Some days yes, some days no. You might catch me on the right day.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My Sister just paid a bundle for hers from Pull Rite, dont Know why she got it its covered with the bed cover too.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I think its a great idea.But to really get this product off the ground I think you should send me a proto type so I can use it and show it off to my rv friends and get a feel for their imput.Of course this would be a freeby to me.but the benifits of word of mouth would be money in your pocket-not my money(laughing) but some one eles money.
All kidding aside I do think its a great idea for those who don`t take their hitch out.And I too would like to see a picture of the hitch cover.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:23 AM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I saw a bed cover once that had a zip out section when using the hitch. That way the whole bed is covered when not using the hitch. I believe it was custom made and I lost my notes of who mfgrd it.

I would like to have one.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:17 AM   #12
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
At a reasonable price, the hitch cover sounds like a winner to protect the hitch. As a full-timer we don't often take ours out of the TV since it is more likely to be stolen then than in the TV. Think the major difficulty will be designing it to fit the variety of hitches that are out there. If you are not an Escapee, join the club so you can advertise in their magazine plus you might be able to get an article in it, too.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:36 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom, my uncle had one of those on his Dodge. I saw one in a truck accessories shop, also. I think they're generally available.

--edited-- this post got out of sequence so lost its connection. It's referring to the post about a three-section bed cover where the section over the hitch can be removed for towing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 AM   #14
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I think it's a great idea too. We leave the hitch in all year round for weight in the winter with the snow. It would be nice to have something to cover it, protect it from the elements, theft and so we could use the box of the truck. We are so worried the hitch will ruin what we carry back there (furniture, etc.)
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:48 PM   #15
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thanks for all the feedback. I will work on getting a picture up soon. First I need to keep focused on moving out and getting my Miss Montana back to the factory. It's still a work in progress.

I know there are complete bed covers, but I also know they are very expensive. From my current perspective. Thanks for the idea about Escapees.

I know there are differences in hitch sizes. The cover I have in mind would be a one size fits all. I know it will work because of the way it's secured to the bed rails. Mine fits just fine on my Lil' Rocker, but I know it would fit just fine on a Reese Slider.

Thanks for your input. You are a great group of people.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote