Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Newbie reading questions

I vowed to spend part of this long weekend reading and organizing all of the manuals stuffed into the drawer when pickup the Monty. So, yesterday I sat down and went through all of it.

I now have two owner's manuals for the DVD player that I got from two different sources but neither one actually matches my DVD remote exactly. I have a least one and sometime two of the installation manuals for the appliances but, what I find most interesting is what I don't have. I expected to find general maintenance manuals for the 5th wheel. I thought there would be something like the roof is made out of X and it should have this kind of maintenance at this interval. The gel coat should be cleaned with product Y and don't use product Z. The slides should be maintained with X at certain intervals.

So, am I still missing so of the manuals? Also, can anyone offer advice about the care and maintenance of the roof, the slides and hi-gloss finish?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
No, I don't think you're missing any manuals. The RV industry seems to think that all we need are the installation manuals. If they say to use X instead of Y they may irritate someone. The best manual for maintaining your rig is right here on the forum. Altough there are differences of opinion on most things (read a few threads) the majority will tell you what really works. Do write down all of your questions, check out the PDI list on the HomePage, and make your dealer earn his keep when you take delivery. If you have already done the pick-up, return to the scene and put him through his paces again.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welcome to the ..who cares about the consumer...RV industry...It will only get worse..This forum is the best source of information about your camper Yesterday while looking for information on a one way valve in the sewer system I got so angry, again..that that I threw out the so called owners manual..put the question to the forum and received the information in a short time....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:34 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Grant,

Do you have the white remote for the DVD? I'll email you our manual and you can see if it's the same.

You should have a small Lippert manual for the slides that shows how to adjust and maintain. Beyond that, there is not a lot of technical maintenance info. Guess these 5ers are just maintenance free, right!

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Grant,

Try this link to download our DVD manual (you're email is locked out)

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/Pho...ileShareFV.asp

or

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/v.a...90%B6%BD%AB%9C

Brad
Old 02-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Grant...you should have a one page note re the roof...it'll tell you what to do. If not try www.dicor.com. As for the gelcoat, a good rv/auto wax or polish will do fine. Just be sure it has a note about using on fiberglass boats/rvs, etc.

I put all of my paperwork/instructions/directions/etc in a three ring binder (the smaller one or two sheet items in plastic protectors), alphabetical by appliance or item. When on the road the book goes under one of the chair seats.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:bsmeaton Posted - Feb 18 2007 : 12:51:00 PM
Grant,Try this link to download our DVD manual (you're email is locked out)

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/Pho...ileShareFV.asp

Brad
Brad, your website didn't work. I get: Incomplete FileShare Web Link etc.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sorry Don,

I posted a second link to the original post. Try that one and see if it works. I haven't messed with this fileshare system very much.

Brad
Old 02-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I wonder who is in charge of the manuals for the Montana? Keystone or your selling dealership? I have two(2) three-ring binders full of policies and owners manuals. Each section is clearly marked by a tab with each appliance or material it covers listed. My dealership filled out all the registration paper work on the appliances for me, included a stamp. They had it in a Ziploc bag on the counter for me all ready to be dropped off at the post office at my leisure.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow - That has to be a Dealer with a touch of class. True pride there Sky!

I found my manuals stuffed in a kitchen drawer. At the bottom of the stack was a plastic folder with tabbed dividers with nothing in it. On my own for any registrations.

Also, there is a 30-page or so checklist for testing the water system, LP system, and most of the major systems on board. All blank of course.

Also had a checklist (yellow carbon) that had all the major appliances, tires, LP tanks etc with model and serial numbers. It is clear to me this was filled out at the factory as they put it together.

I also pulled out the Keystone DVD showing torque procedures and waved it at the Service Manager telling him he should look at it sometime. That was after I had to stop his tech replacing my wheel with an air gun at the PDI. (missing bearing cap)

I think a lot of these Dealers generate thier own grief sometimes.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our dealer did the same as Montana Sky.I was in our 3400 before anyone from the dealership was and all the manuals were stuffed in the kitchen drawers. When we signed the papers they had beem seperated all the warranty work had been completed and mailed and the dealer went over every book with us so I woud say it is the dealer that does the job.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I did not get a "Montana Owners Handbook" with my 3400 so I downloaded one from their internet site. Rather generic but informative to a new guy. I was given the rest of the manuals as everyone else, of course, I had to seperate and put in binder myself. I think they want you to "experience the Life" and hence the lack of good information.

Just waiting to sell the stick home and for spring or summer,(whichever comes first this year),to get here before we head on out of Alaska.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Grant,

Do you have the white remote for the DVD? I'll email you our manual and you can see if it's the same.

You should have a small Lippert manual for the slides that shows how to adjust and maintain. Beyond that, there is not a lot of technical maintenance info. Guess these 5ers are just maintenance free, right!

Brad
Brad,

The remote I have is gray. I did get the DVD manual that you had emailed me earlier. You say the Lippert manual is small. I will have to take another look in the manual pile.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109

Oh ya - forgot you were one of the folks I emailed it to.

The lippert manual is about a quarter page size booklet.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #15
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Wow I got lucky. I had Little pamphlet about the roof (cleaning, type, years of warranty length, inspection), lippert booklet on the slid, and the hydraulic pump. All appliances except a/c (had for the remote). Exchanged tha for the cool comfort Manuel one, had the install but nothing else had dealer get me one took 6 mos and domestic sent it to me direct. Also had many manuals of witch I didn't have that type or model (axles, brakes, water, heater refrig, awning) and of course the famous keystone of little use generic manual. All thrown in drawer. Had to fill out all warranty's myself though the dealer did supply a list of all that was installed with the serial and model numbers. (last time this was all done by them.) Now they say they don't they said why but have forgot why.
ken

keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
About the roof. As Bert said, you should have a page that tells you about the roof membrane. It may have some precautions. I can't recall for sure. It should tell you to NOT use anything with petroleum distillates in it.

Dicor used to recommend Dawn dishwashing liquid, but only the non-citrus variety. Now they sell their own branded cleaning products. At the Goshen rally we had a seminar by a Dicor representative. One thing that stuck out in my mind was him saying do NOT use anything citrus-based or with citrus odor. He said birds and squirrels are attracted to the citrus and will peck at it, putting little holes in the membrane. All I use is Dawn dishwashing liquid, non-citrus.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:06 AM   #17
ctflowerlady

M.O.C. #6909
We haven't picked up our 3475 (2006)yet, it will be a couple of weeks.
Ggranch suggested going to the hompage and check PDI- I'm new here and don't find that, can anyone direct me? Does that give suggestions as to what to ask when i pickup from the dealer? Anymore advise on what to ask... etc? I've been reading posts, this is a great site, everyone is so knowledgeable and helpfull.TIA
ctflowerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #18
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
ctflowerlady, Go to the bottom of opening page and you will see "RV Related Links". Click that and it will take you to the page you want.
Enjoy the new 3475 when you get it.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #19
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
It's OK Grant. All your X,Y and Z questions will be answered here. And better answers they are then what you will get from the factory
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:55 AM   #20
ctflowerlady

M.O.C. #6909
Thanks nailbender, an incredible amount of available information at RV related links,that should take care of me for awhile!
ctflowerlady is offline   Reply With Quote