Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Water hook up stuff

In several of the RV stores I have seen packages of water connections, i.e., "Y", "L" 45*"L", etc. For the most part they are flimsy copper fittings that will hardly last one hook up. Do any of you know where to pick up decently durable fittings?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Stiles, I have found that Lowes or Home Depot or even Manards has a pretty good selection of water hookup fittings. Probably cheaper than an RV supply store. Even Wal-Mart carries a few hookup supplies,like water regulators etc.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I now use all heavy duty brass fittings and yes they are available at Lowes and Home Depot but not necessarily in the plumbing dept. Also try the seasonal department where they have garden hose and sprinkler systems.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
As I mentioned in the pressure regulator thread, TSC (Tractor Supply Stores) carry a good selection of heavy duty plastic fittings, I think they are nylon, or maybe polypropylene, but they are meant for agricultural use, they are not flimsy. Brand name is Greenleaf. We got ours in Mission, TX, but I would think all TSC stores carry the same stuff.

TSCs are pretty neat stores to look around.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Stiles, my main problem is not the cheap fittings - although they are cheap - it is the gaskets inside these things that are really worthless. I have gone through a whole bag (10) gaskets since I started FTing last July.

Maybe I'm just tightening too much, but I don't think so...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks for the info. Yes, I too, have been disappointed in the durability of the gaskets. I am thinking those old full sized black rubber ones still may be the best.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Home Depot does have the "Y" brass fittings in the seasonal department. Walmart also has some good ones. I've got two. One for our "permanent" site and one for the road. I haven't had any problem with the gaskets failing. Tighten finger tight, then one more turn with the pipe wrench.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Stiles,
I bought a very nice HD brass "Y" and promptly left the $11 beauty at a CG (about the 3rd one) when I left. Carry spares just in case. I also have spare washers in the basement!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
linda and chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #6952
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

I now use all heavy duty brass fittings and yes they are available at Lowes and Home Depot but not necessarily in the plumbing dept. Also try the seasonal department where they have garden hose and sprinkler systems.
Tractor supply has all heavy duty brass connectors
linda and chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
Bought Tee fitting with valve to allow hose to be added when we need water without disconnecting supply hose.
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ok, this is how it ended up. I bought a heavy brass four-valve manifold to come off the CG supply. Got a good regulator with pressure gauge to go with the manifold. Now I have my water line, black water tank sprayer line, a line to the Sewer Solution with one station left over for a hose to use for general purposes. Found some good hose gaskets. Now I am set up with no leaks.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Stiles, my main problem is not the cheap fittings - although they are cheap - it is the gaskets inside these things that are really worthless. I have gone through a whole bag (10) gaskets since I started FTing last July.

Maybe I'm just tightening too much, but I don't think so...
Dave,
I use the rubber ones. They work a lot better than the kind that you tear off a sheet. Those seem to be some kind of propylene (sp) or fake rubber. Though they are somewhat soft, they compress and don't recover like the rubber ones do. I find the rubber ones readily at any Ace Hardware.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:45 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Orv. That makes alot of sense. I'll look for those.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #14
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Orv,
You are right about the higher quality hose gaskets.
Also I agree with you about ACE Hardware,
You can go to the big guys and search for an hour and never find it.
Go to an ACE hardware and they have about everything you need and the people are very helpful.
If you are going to be staying in one place for awhile find the location of your local ACE Hardware
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Like they say, "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man"
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I buy Ace whenever I can. They always seem to have what you need. Maybe not a large fancy store like some of the homeware stores (re: Big Box), but always nice people. When I go to Lowes or Home Depot, I always have trouble finding someone to help me with something. Plus, Ace always has little gadgets and seasonal displays of helpful things. Yep, Ace is the Place..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote