Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2006, 03:28 AM   #61
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I guess if someone gave me a brand new 3400RL Montana (is that what ins cos do? Or do they try to pro-rate the unit?) and all my options I originally ordered and $3,000. I would feel that to be fair. Wouldn't be "happy", as no one ever is after any kind of a loss.

We have downsized and sold most everything we had over the past 2 years and 5 garage/"estate" sales.

John, I would opt for the clean shorts, though... Even if it cuts into my "contents" amount. I still have my pride. Kinda...

Colleen, I'm just kind of surprised that furniture/appliances are not considered "contents". Seems a little different from home ownership insurance... isn't it?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:17 AM   #62
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Dave,

Just to be sure that I am not giving you incorrect information I have called my insurance agency and asked several questions. You have brought up some good questions that we need to have answered also.

I will post the answer once I hear back from Denise. She is giving all of my questions to the State Farm claims department.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:29 AM   #63
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Colleen. I have to talk to my agent today about an unrelated matter. I will definitely bring this subject up, too.

I'll be interested in what your agent says.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:05 AM   #64
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Dave,

Here are the answers to my questions. Rembember that our Montana is written on a State Farm Auto Insurance policy which gives you depreciated not replacement cost coverage. We will not be renewing with them next year unless they drop the insured amount of value so we aren't paying for imaginery coverage. These answers would apply to any RV that is written on an auto policy in Texas.

They do not cover your antenna or your awnings on the policy unless you add an endorsement that insures them for a stated amount.

Your items that are in your Montana when you purchased it (day of PDI), couch, relcliner etc., are considered part of the unit and are not considered contents. If you replace a recliner with a new one it is still considered part of your Montana and is not contents. Our contents is not covered by the auto policy. We do have a 10% extension from our homeowners so we get coverage that way. That coverage is replacement cost coverage but does have a deductible.

You would be surprized what you have in your Montana if you had to replace every piece of clothing etc in it. Make a list of what you have and then when out shopping get some prices of what they cost and then come up with a figure. Remember you won't be using a depreciated price on that pair of shoes or shorts in the drawer.

Our umbrella policy will cover us inside and outside in the event someone should hurt themselves. The policy also covers us when we are towing the Montana are involved in some type of accident.

Upon renewal of our coverage next year I will be reviewing coverage by companies that write coverages for replacement cost vs depreciated. As long as we have a brick house we maybe better off writing it under the automobile policy. For people that are full timing like you Foremost or other companies mentioned would probably give you the broader coverage. The one coverage I would be most worried about would be the what if coverage..... what if I had a wreck and I hit someone or was involved in a 10 car pile up. The liability exposure could be alot.

Just curious what questions you asked of your agent and what replies you got?

Colleen
Old 08-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #65
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am still waiting for her to get back with me, I called her right at the end of the day and she was going to check with Foremost for confirmation on her answers. She is an independent agent. I will let you know when she gets back with me...

Old 08-30-2006, 05:58 AM   #66
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK, got my call back from my independent agent, regarding my Foremost FT policy. She said that anything "attached" to the Montana when delivered was NOT considered contents. However, this creates some confusion - maybe - as the dinette set is then "partially" considered contents. The chairs are NOT attached. However, the table IS attached. Therefore the chairs are extra insured "contents" that need to be added to the policy ($5 of premium for each $1,000 value), while the table is not considered "contents". My agent confirmed this was the case... Even if you unscrew the table from the floor, apparently this does not change these designations, as it is permanently categorized as to how it left the factory.

So, apparently, the LR TV is NOT "contents" as it left the factory with a screw in the top of it...

My question - and I got off the phone with my agent before I thought of this - the recliners... They are not attached... HOWEVER, they WERE attached from the factory - with straps. Foremost does not specify HOW an item is to be attached to be consided exempt from this additional "contents" extra premium. I would consider the recliners, then, to be exempt from "contents".

The couch/pullout bed, however, I guess I WILL need a replacement cost of - as well as the dinette chairs (storage seats). And apparently the "end table" and the lamp that fits between the recliners.

Oh... just had this thought... We just bought a bike for Cheryl yesterday at Walmart. Cheap, but how is that insured? Apparently, "contents". However, if we keep it in the bed of the pickup (haven't figured out how yet) would that be covered under the auto policy?

OK, that enough questions for now. I'm sure more will be generated. Thanks in advance for all of your advice on this. Really don't want to be underinsured, but once I hit $900/yr premiums, I'll be looking elsewhere. Foremost was the lowest when I chose them, and I'm not saying they still aren't the best for us, but I am always wary of insurance cos.

*On Edit~ Sorry... one more question (I think my agent has left for the day from her office, now)... If I carry that generator in the back of the pick up, isn't that considered under my auto policy? Or would the auto ins co also want an extra "rider" on that? Not trying to undercut my insurance co (I believe that's very difficult to do anyway). I just want to get the best deal I can - and still be covered...

Another... I consider the DVD player "attached" (not contents) as it is attached with a velcro strap at the factory... But this is still just as easy to steal (undoubtedly more desirable) as a dinette chair, which is unattached/"contents".

Clear as mud...

Maybe should have had the plant drill and screw 4 small screws into the couch legs and each of the chair legs, and the end table legs before it left the factory. Just remove them when you recieve your Montana. Hey! Look at that! No contents...

Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 AM   #67
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Dave,

Our dinette chairs were strapped down when we bought our Montana. We had straps that were around the dining table.

As for the bike and the generator I would consider both of those to be contents of your Montana. If you had a homeowners policy both would fall under your extended coverage from your HO policy. Since your Montana is your home I would add both to your contents coverage on your Foremost policy. Foremost is a good company, in fact that will probably be the company that we insure with next year.

When you list every item that is in the FVer on paper you will be surprised as to how much contents you have.

Colleen
Old 08-31-2006, 05:40 AM   #68
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Colleen! I currently do have my gen covered under contents. I will have to pick up the bike. I guess I have to call Keystone and get a replacement cost on the couch and dinette chairs... Also, Cheryl has some jewlery. Not a lot - under $10K - but enough so that I don't want to replace out of pocket, so I will add that to contents as well.

How do you figure reeplacement cost for the Montana? We all pay under list (hopefully). Do we have to use this "MSRP" as a replacement value (not contents)? Even is we may have paid 33% less than that?

Old 09-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #69
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, be sure you get the shipping charges for the replacement. The shipping is not cheap.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #70
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Shipping??? Wonderful...

Old 09-06-2006, 03:41 AM   #71
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Dave,

I was talking to Bob about how replacement cost would work on a RV. If it was on a home and you had damage to your roof it would just pay for a new roof less your deductible. The insurance company could hold out depreciation until you had the repairs done and then they send you a second check.

Your RV policy could pay out differently on replacement cost coverage. If your RV was damaged by hail it could pay to have it fixed less deductible. If the RV was totaled I am not sure how it would work without being able to see the policy. I know the Foremost policy is broader than the State Farm policy that we presently have. I would call and ask the agent to point you to the wording in the policy about how it would deal with a total loss. The agent might not have the answer for you, but they could call the claims department and get a clarification on how the claim would be paid out.

It is important that you are getting the correct coverage. There is nothing worse than thinking you have coverage only to find out when you have a loss that you won't get any help from your insurance company. This is when people get angry at the adjuster and the company and think they are getting ripped off. Steve makes a great point in the shipping charges, that would come into play if the RV was totaled.

Sorry I can't give you a direct answer but I wouldn't want to give you incorrect information on such an important issue. Without the policy I am just guessing, I should say Bob would be guessing.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #72
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I am also using Explorer RV Insurance for my 5er. My TV and another car are still covered under my State Farm Policy. These seemed to be the best rates for us.

Rick & Jana with our
4 legged kids, Domino & Puck
2006 Montana 3400RL
2006 Ford F350, CC, 6.0 PSD, 2WD, DRW
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #73
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Army Guy...since you're active duty, check out USAA. Always one of the top rated by the insurance gurus, active or retired military only. 800-531-8111.

Bert and Betty
Fort Smith, AR
2007 Silverado Classic 3500, DRW, D/A, CC
2007 Montana 3400RL
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #74
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Bert and Betty,

Ditto on the claims department for USAA they do take care of their policy holders. Hubby worked claims for them, as an independent adjuster, for over 20 years. They were more willing to stretch coverages than most companies.

They are one of the better companies out there for claims, but you still need to be sure of your coverages. We actually could qualify to have coverages written through them but haven't used them. We have used an independent agency that I worked for years ago. Things have changed in the agency so I am changing my policies as they renew.

Colleen