Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Is this normal when buying a Monty ?

Went to the dealer this morning to talk money and options and get a bottom line figure from him. (3650RK)
I told him I wanted the 2nd AC unit, slide toppers, Splendide W/D, fantastic fan and the max air vent. He sent me to CW to price out all the stuff. He said it would be better for me to do it that way. Well when talking to a salesman there the first question I asked was about the slide toppers... how much.. installation and so on. He replied back asking well what size slides. Now I'm puzzled because I dont have a clue on the exact measurements of all the slides.
To me... this just sorta seems like a pain in the rear if I need to do all this work. I was thinking the dealer would handle all of it.
I guess if I have to do more foot work then he should come off his price a little more that 16%.
Also, after looking at the paper work there is a charge of $890.00 for the PDI and walk through. Is that normal ?

Now dont get me wrong here... I dont mind paying a fair price for something and someone making a profit off of their goods, I just dont want to be taken advantage of... know what I mean?

Blue

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
When we bought ours, we never heard of that. The dealer installed the 2nd a/c, fireplace, vaccum cleaner, max air covers, etc and DELETED the slide toppers. I'd personally tell that dealer that I was going to CW to buy my Montana also! We got ours for 31% off MSRP, VERIFIED BY 2 other dealers. Charges for a PDI are a rip off, dont go for it.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I think I would see if there is someone else I could buy my Montana from. A decent respectable dealer should be able to install all those things for you. You can order the slide toppers from the factory, course, if you want Carefree or other brand slide toppers, other than OEM, then the dealer needs to work with you on that.

16% is low, suggest you look around here a bit more, and read some of the old posts via the search engine, before you go back to him!

Did your hair on the back of your neck stand on end, mine did, when I read your post. Not sure bout that PDI fee, not sure I have ever heard of that, transportation/delivery fees, yep, PDI fee and walk through, not sure bout that one.

Sounds to me he is trying to walk all over you.

But, that is my opinion, wait and see what the others here at MOC say.

Carol

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
16%!! Put on your walking shoes, better yet make that RUNNING shoes. The guy has no idea of what he is doing and he is one dealer I would stay away from, far away.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bluegill,

I've never heard of a PDI charge. I researched buying my Montana for 2 years on the internet and ended up buying it about 30 miles from where I live here in Seattle. I am very pleased with the service, but most of all I was pleased with the price. This one cost me almost $10K less than anything advertised on the web, and I was planning on driving wherever to get the best price.

BTW, my son lives in Texas, so looking there was a priority, but found Texas prices were outrageous. Look up Tacoma RV in Tacoma, WA and talk to LaDonna, she is the owner. They only buy their 5th wheels and trailers fully loaded from the factory, so there are no surprises, I really liked that aspect of dealing with them.

I suggest you find a new dealer!

Peace!
Robbie & Alice Simons
Seattle

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 SWB Laramie (LNRNGR)
2006 2980RL (TONTOW)
Line-X bed liner
Jacobs Exhaust Brake
Prodigy Brake Controller
Hijacker 24-UMS-21 Hitch
Start Fulltiming 10/2006
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Go back and tell this dealer that he is out of his mind then FIND ANOTHER DEALER.. By the way..did he just happen to have a 3650 on the lot without all those options???

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
That PDI charge is a rip off. Toppers, yes CW needs to know the width of the slide to give you a price. A good dealer would help you get that info. We got ours after purchase at CW at the suggestion of the dealer. they were at a much reduced price than through the dealer.

Dick and Toni Whitfield
MOC 3189, 05 3475, 03 Chev 2500 HD Dura Max. Isolator king pin box, Ride Rite airbags. Fir ball - Velvet.

Blue skies and tailwinds
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I think you said you were dealing with Foley's, I came close myself to working with them and this doesn't sound at all like the pre-sales service I received. Maybe it's just your salesperson???

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would find another dealer, pronto.

First of all, the 2nd AC, the slide toppers, and the Fantastic Fan are all factory options. The dealer's not involved other than taking the order and the money. Prep for the 2nd AC and prep for the w/d are also factory options. You could look to CW for the splendide and the maxxair vent cover (which you can easily install yourself). Our dealer sells and installs the w/d, too, as part of our deal

16% is a joke, in my opinion. You should get minimum of 20% just by saying you want that much. 25% if a 2006 (now a leftover model). And more with some negotiating (at many dealers).

We're about to take delivery on our fifth fifthwheel (fourth new one) and have never had a PDI charge even mentioned. I would walk from any dealer who even suggested such a thing because if he's that way on this charge then dealing with him is not going to be a pleasure for me.

Just fyi from our order sheet (a current sheet)...
retail prices...

2nd AC 13.5k btu... $695
2nd AC prep...$100
slide toppers (quad slides)...1,540
Fantastic Fan...445
W/D prep..155

You were wise to ask questions here rather than buying that dealer's line. Good luck.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #10
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
I agree with SIMONSRF - I purchased from LaDonna at Tacoma RV and got great service and a great price - I am currently looking to upgrade and will probably go back there again. They sell so many Montanas that I am sure they get a good price from Keystone and if you have the sales volume they can afford to give a better deal - I purchased a 2005 2955RL and when we came up with the final price I asked for toppers. They said they cost $450 per slide regardless of size. I pointed out to them that $450 is what you charge the customer, Tacoma RV does not pay $450 per slide - I got them added for no additional price. Dealers that only sell a few rigs a month can't and won't give you a good price.

2005 2955 with a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew cab with Duramax, Allison and Pullrite 16K slider
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We took delivery of a 2007 3400RL last Fri, 8/4. Never heard of a PDI charge and 16% off is about half what is should be if you are looking at a 2006 model.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bluegill, is this a joke? If not, I'd follow everyone else's advice AND that which will be coming. "Shocked disbelief" will probably be the norm for reactions on this dealer's method of operation. I don't think I would even give another salesman at the same establishment another chance for redemption. You have just run into a very bad dealership. Put an "X" on the map and give that place a wide berth for sales AND any service. That's scary that there are dealerships like that out there.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab, LB, SLE (w/ full power/elect options)
Reese 16K Hitch, Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)
Full undercoating, Rhino Spray-In Liner
2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
2nd A/C, Fireplace, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac
WE'RE HOME!

Don't EVER give up on your Dream.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm hoping you misunderstood, if not, run, run, run. We are on our 3rd fifth wheel and we've never heard of a PDI charge. Also any dealer wanting to be a good dealer would have sent you to CW with the measurements of the slides. If he didn't know, he should have found a tape measure.
Happy trails.........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #14
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
You should get 30% off the asking price. Right now it is a buyers market with the price of fuel. We didn't pay for a PDI. Sounds like he is trying to add to his profit. I would keep shopping with a different dealer.

Larry & Roma
2001 3295RK Montana/3s
2001 3500 4X4 Chev Ext cab Duramax Dually
Hartselle,Alabama
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
If the MSRP is $50,000, then the dealer paid $30,000 and maybe shipping. Go figure from there. Sold RVs for a couple of years, so this is fact, not fiction. Minimum of 30% off or walk.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #16
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Ask that bozo if he would accept a $890 charge from an auto dealer for the privilege of inspecting a new car he was buying from them before driving it off the lot. And you are paying a hell of a lot more for the Monty than he would be paying for a car!!

Never heard of such a thing....RUN, don't walk, to another dealer....and, when exiting stage right, you might tell that dealership's Sales Manager why you are leaving, via a Certified letter to Keystone, CC to the Sales Manager and the Owner of that dealership.

JMHO

PJ, Nan and Scooter
3655FL
'99 Dodge Diesel 2500, BD auto trans, pwr chip, Pac brake, Bielsen shocks, Banks Exhaust.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #17
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Wow, I'm not sure where to start. :-)

Yall are making me feel alot better with your comments. I thought it didn't feel right.
I guess my biggest problem is that I'm too nice of a guy and I'm too honest when talking to salesmen, so he probably sees "GREEN HORN" tattooed on my fore head. He is sorta right, This is my first time buying an RV buy not my first time to buy a new "fill in the blank".

To try and answer everyone...

Parrothead, I'm hoping I misunderstood him too. But I have the paper here at my desk in front of me with "PDI and walk through: $890.

Yes Mac, I am dealing with the affore mentioned dealer, it may be just the sales guy I'm working with, that doesn't mean the whole dealership is like that.(I'm trying to be nice again)

Yes Rich, You too are correct. He had one on his lot with out all those options.

Robbie, I think I will take your advice and talk to LaDonna down in Tacoma, its only a 2 hour drive from here.

And to everyone else, Thanks a million for your advice and in put.
I have to admit, I was feeling a little disappointed today when I left the dealership, but after reading all of the posts above I have a new out look now.

Thanks again
Blue
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:04 AM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Blue,

Now that you got the straight story, and have admitted yourself to being a nice guy, how bout (note, tongue in cheek here, ok??)

TAKE THAT BLINKIN SUCKER SIGN OFF YOUR FOREHEAD!

This salesman has to show that paper work to someone at the organization, that tells me, he is not the only one charing the PDI charge. Something smells real foul.

I like the Patodonn's suggestion, a certified letter works for me!

We are all really glad you stopped by and asked questions!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:37 AM   #19
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Bluegill,

There was a PDI charge on our original purchase sheet that we looked at when we bought our Monty in June. We did not end up paying this fee and we did get more than 20% off of our purchase price.

If you want to really compare apples to apples and you are ordering a Monty then put all of your options down on paper and send them to several dealers. I know that there was $4K difference from the starting point from the dealer we talked with in Houston to the dealer here in Buda, Evergreen RV. If you want a price from that dealership I suggest that you contact brad@evergreenrv.com and let them give you a price. If you start with the same options then price comparing is a little easier.

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:44 AM   #20
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Charging for the PDI????? How about they pay you for the time you spent listening to their BULLS---! Like everyone else said "RUN DON'T WALK to another dealer!"

Paul & Kathi Landau
Lola, Beulah & Hamel (BLk/Tan Coonhounds)
Max (Doxie) all rescues
Kalispell Montana

02' Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Dually Longbed,
Banks Exhaust Sys.,
5"exhaust, Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese 22K Hitch, Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS.

05' 3400RL

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote