Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
2007 Models

The new models are starting to hit the dealers. Saw one Tues...here's the latest:
- The 2980RL is being replaced by the 3075RL...exactly the same except the bar area in the galley where the sink is, has been eliminated and the sink moved to an area to the left of the entrance door, perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the coach.
- They are pushing the "Hi Gloss Gel Coated Fiberglass Exterior," an $1850 600 lb option.
- The "Value Package Option" is absolutely mandatory.
- Same for the "Moving To Montana Option" package.
- Same for the "Customer Convenience Group Option."
- MSRPs are going up 'about' $1000.

Seems to me that a 'mandatory option' is an oxymoron.

And a question...does anybody know, since these options are really mandatory, if they are included in the weight data? If not, and you want the gelcoat option, looks like they are going to seriously cut into the available cargo capability.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Please do a search here (see top of page) or go back to the main page and search the archives about that weight and the gel coat, and I am sure Richfaa will be along soon to tell you what Keystone told him about that 600 pound number (Hey Rich, thought they were supposed to be changing the literature about that????, weren't they?? )

the mandatory option has been around since 2003 when we ordered, I don't know what, know it is silly. Also do not know your answer re: weight of the mandatory options.

Enjoy your new Montana when you get it!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Hi Gloss gel coat adds a EXTRA 200lbs to the weight of the unit..The regular finish weighs 400lbs the gel coat weighs 600lbs..additional weight 200lbs..as per my conversation with Montana..The dual pane windows are about the same..200 ADDITIONAL lbs. Do a search I listed the persons name at Keystone who gave me that information..Don't know why they call it a mandatory option when you have no choice??? Our 3400rl without the Hi gloss gel coat, the dual pane windows, the fireplace but with a 2nd A/C weighed in at 11,896 lbs completely empty. (on the local landscape company scales) They are a bit slow with the updates perhaps they will update with the 2007 model year.Example I asked ..whay do you list the 3670 when it is no longer made..yes they say..but it IS a 2006 model so it is listed?????

Oh..here is a what's wrong with this picture ..question. The front and rear caps of the campers are hi gloss gel coat..the fender wells are plastic..the bottom 12 or 13 inches of the camper all the way around is , I think Aluminum..That leaves the side walls for the Hi gloss gel coat option...Ok..I have a 3400 option cost 1850..but wait the cost is the same for a 2955..the cost is the same for all of them no matter how large or small..The carpet guy comes to your home and says I will carpet your 15X24 family room for $2500.Then he looks at your 9x12 bedroom and says I will carpet that room for $2500 also..WHAT???? There is LESS gell coat on the 2955..How come it cost the same as the 3400 or the larger ones.Hummmmm.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Should be an interesting year to see if Keystone steps up with more changes. Maybe 2007 can be the year of big things to come...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Rich,
I doubt that the variation in material cost is the issue with gel coat. The prep and spray are probably virtually identical for both units. From the view of the industrial engineer, it is probably not worth the effort to do a precision estimate for each model. In fact, I'll bet the work standards (ne: quotas) for the department don't distinguish between units. Only the government insists on that sort of accounting precision. That is why government stuff costs so much -- it costs more to count stuff than it does to do stuff.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I may have forgot to mention, but on our plant tour on 5/16, Cheryl asked the receptionist when we were getting new brochures. She answered that the brand new ones should be in at the end of May. But I did see her wince, though, which told me she was more hopeful than sure that this would happen. Might want to start bugging you're local dealer about this the first of June. My experience is that the dealers will get them first, before they change anything on the Keystone-Montana website.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:57 AM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We saw the new 3075 floor plan in Florida earlier this month. When we were talking to the salesman he wasn't saying that it was a 2007 just a new model. I really like that floor plan, but just not big enough for us.

When I was talking to the dealership in Houston for a price, they lumped all of the packages together. The salesman just told me to look at the options and pick those, fireplace, 2nd AC etc.

As for the weight data I think they are included. All of the packages are on our Monty and it is around 11,900. We don't have the gel coat, but do have the fireplace.

Rich,

You know I think that same logic applies to womens clothes. A size 4 and six are the same price as a 16. I doesn't seem fair that I pay the same price as someone that wears a size 6, but heah I would love to be a 6 and have that gripe
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:05 AM   #8
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Brother Dave, (Dave and Victoria)

I really enjoyed the truth and humor of your logic and it's application.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:28 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..I am glad my carpet guy does not use that logic. I sort of looked at it as ..it looks pretty and the consumer will pay the price no matter what. Does good things to the profit margin at the consumers expense....but you are correct (37 years a Fed)..driftwoodgal..but yet the guys pay extra for larger sizes???
Old 05-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Thanks for the responses.

More research, more answers. The 'mandatory options' are included in the weights Keystone uses (shipping/interior label, etc).

Richfaa...The dealer gave me a new spec sheet from the factory, it says the shipping weight is 11650 and the interior label lists the 3400RL with a weight of 11900.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My 3400RL rolled in weighing 12,165 lbs. Be that was back in 2004, I am sure the updates over the past 2.5 years changes everything...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
KEYSTORE COULD REDUCE THERE WEIGHT FOR EVERY MODEL BY INTRODUCING FLAT SCREEN TV'S - THEY WOULD ALSO OBTAIN A FOOT AND HALF OF DEPTH ON EACH TV TO MAKE MORE LIVING SPACE... JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH. Hey Rich when are you going to have a break in living room party in that new 3400 of your's ha ha
Safe Travels to All John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Absolutly..The blender is on board and the booze cabinet is well stocked.We will be at both the GL and National Rallies...Agree on the tv sets..could they have found any heavier or bigger. When they break we will replace with flat screen Tv's half the size and 1/4th the weight.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cat320..We weighed in at 11,896 no stuff onboard. No Hi gloss gel coat, no fireplace, no dual pane windows, add 2 batteries and the 2nd A/C (100lbs) and 2 full tanks of propane.As it turns out we had maybe a full tank of fresh water on board (60gals) as we forgot to dump that tank before we left the dealers lot . The inside guage showed a full tank. so 11,896 less the max 500lbs of water = say 11,400lbs for our 3400 Oh we also did not order the end table and lamp and the coffee table and less one recliner (for the bird cage) so maybe the shipping weight on your 3400 is very close. We had weighed the truck..full tank of fuel at 7350 so when Helen gets all her stuff on board we will weigh everything again and see what we come up with. We got a big enough truck so we are not concerned with the total weight or the pin weight but we are curious.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #15
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Rich,

I am very curious as to your final weight as we will have almost the same weight. I was thrown a little by your earlier post as I thought you were saying that you had the fireplace and the dual pane windows. I thought I read in earlier posts that you didn't order those.

As to the bigger sizes for men, I am married to a wonderful man that can't find a short man shop. He is only 5' 5" so it is real hard to find pants, we almost always have to have them cut off. And shorts are impossible because by the time you cut off the extra length you will have a pocket hanging down beyond the hem. I am glad at this point that I don't have the extra weight and the price for the gelcoat on our Monty. Thanks to you and your time investigating the gel coat I am happy with the what we are buying.

Hopefully at some point we will get to the futre rallys that people are going to and I will get to stop by and meet you and your lovely wife and of course your beautiful bird. Does your bird talk?

Cat320,

The label inside of our future Monty has a label of 11900, I think. I am very intersted in what the correct weights are. We have enough truck to pull the 3400, but I do worry about the weight limits.

The
Old 05-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The bird talks alright..we will be in the RGV Texas this winter. I just want to weigh everything once We have the weight of the truck and the weight of the camper empty. When we are loaded for camping we will take the truck to the scales and they are at a landscaping company..it is just a scale. We will leave the tv and camper hooked and run the truck on the scale with camper attached but not on the scale..then run the truck off the scale and weigh the camper a little math and we will have the pin weight , weight of the camper and the gross weight. I am just curious as to what we are hauling around//after that I am sure we will never weigh it again.. By the way..I am not a big person either..I was once 6 foot 3 but life wore me down to my present 5'7" (that's a joke)
Old 05-27-2006, 02:39 AM   #17
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Are you sure that it is life that is wearing you down and not the bird coming in and taking chunks out of you when you are sleeping. If I think I remember you saying that the bird doesn't love you.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #18
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The spec sheet I mentioned in an earlier post lists the actual weights of the rigs obtained at the factory...by weighing them. The sheet has a shipping weight and an interior label weight. The latter averages 200 to 350 lbs higher than the ship weight. As compared to the brochure weight, the rigs are about evenly split, some higher and some lower than the shipping weight.

Also, the sheet lists actual empty pin weights as a percentage of the interior label weight. They go from a low of 16% (3500RL, 3500RE) to a high of 23% (3000RK), and are fairly close to the pin weights listed in the brochure.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wonder were they weigh them at the factory.When asked they said they did not do that.We have no such spec sheet and this thing was built April 24th..Something new I guess???
Old 05-27-2006, 07:49 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Those were mandantory options when we ordered ours in May 2002, also.

We do not have the fireplace nor the dual pane windows. We do have the high gloss. Ours scales at 14,360 as we tow it.

As for the weight on the cabinet stickers, when I asked a Keystone exec about that at the Tampa RV Show he told us that is with "standard options." It is NOT what yours weighs rolling off the assembly line. I still don't fully understand what a standard option is but I guess that is what most people order on their Montanas. I guess.

RichFAA, just like people, Montanas gain weight with age. Or ours has, anyhow.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote