Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #21
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
There is no greater feeling that falling in love with a new Montana. I say go for it! Dont look back, you only live once...

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:33 AM   #22
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Ah, I remember when I first fell in love, she was a girl named…wait, we’re talking about Montanas, right? Well, I remember that too!

After having seen them at Unicoi SP in the fall of 2004, I went to Camper City in Buford, Georgia to check them out. Though it was a RAINY day, it did nothing to dampen my feelings when I returned home and told Marsha I knew what our next RV would be!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #23
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Wordsmith,

Is that called puppy love, pup tent love, popup tent love, on no it is RV love. I fell in love with the 3400RL two years ago, I hopefully get to sign the papers on June 1 or 2 and drive our new Monty off the dealers lot. IMHO when you find the right floor plan for you it is all over but the comparing and then coming back to what you fell in love with.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #24
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
Yes, we have plenty of storage in the kitchen. The pantry is big and plenty of cabinets. We put some of those wire shelves in some cabinets and that just about doubled the useable space.

We've been fulltiming in ours since October, '05. Absolutely love it!! Yes the "media room" in the back is terrific. I put a cable outlet in the outside storage so I can watch some tv on a nice day (and has earphone connections so as not to bother others).

The 1/2 time oven, MW, and Convection combo is fabulous. I cook alot and haven't even turned on the propane oven except to see what temps is actually heated to (if I needed it).

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Be careful looking at the new models! I try to steer clear of RV shows, dealer's specials, etc. Ours is paid for but those new ones...oh my, how enticing. Hey, we've got the bugs worked out of this one and we've added so much. But dealers tell me, "That's okay, we'll give you the same thing. We'll remove your solar panels and reinstall. We'll give you the Mor/Ryde Independent Suspension axles, and etc., etc."

Oh well, maybe we can get by without buying another one....right now.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #26
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
ols1932 - I do know what you mean - we have this one paid for and all bugs worked out of it, so hate to think about going through it again! We wish we would have known how much we would like traveling we'd have gotten a larger unit but being newbies - who knew! Love the new models even the 2950RK (didn't have it out at the time) had a better set up in the kitchen than ours - of course they didn't have that one when we bought and oh those flat floors in the bedroom!

bigbob7777 - thanks for the info about kitchen room - it is hard to really tell just looking. My hubby just knows I try to take the house for our 4 months of road travel!

We are now getting the Monty ready for a tentative leaving date of June 28th - YEAH, we can hardly wait.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:14 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The shower does look awful as someone on another forum remarked it cheapens a otherwise quality unit..however you can't see it unless you are in it so it is tolerable.We had to caulk all around the bottom of the surround in some cases there was no caulk there at all.We also had the dealer change out the cheapy drain with one of better quality with a proper seal. After looking at the OEM drain, it is just sealed with plumbers putty, and not much of that, would not be surprised that if in some cases the installer did not have time to seal the drain..If you have a leak the 2 prime suspects are the drain and poor caulk around the bottom.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:37 AM   #28
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
The shower in the Monty is one of the reasons we kept looking at others for over a year. We couldn't find anything we liked better even with the shower so I guess I will keep my eyes closed when it it. I think it will not clean as easy as our one piece shower in the New Vision and have a higher risk of leaking than the one piece shower.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:57 AM   #29
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Driftwoodgal, Yep, it IS RV love, and, I must confess, it continues to grow. I believe that is key to true happiness with an RV, how your enjoyment with it stands the test of time and familiarity. The 3295 was not our first choice, but Marsha and I both are in agreement that we could not have found a floorplan that better suits us.

Hope your signing of the papers goes well and that your love for your Montana continues to grow!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #30
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
As I posted earlier our shower had to be completely replaced due to water wicking not only on the floor but into the basement - that first year was quite a challenge to get things done but Keystone made everything right. I continue to think that a one piece unit would take care of all leaking problems disregarding the drain.

Driftwoodgal - it seems to clean up fine - just a little extra in the groove that connects the pan to the walls.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 05-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had read and was told that you do not want to caulk the inside bottom of the shower surround. There is no caulk from the factory as this is to allow for water to drain from behind the surround. Mold and mildew WILL build behind the surround if you close off this escape route.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:02 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The shower surround WAS caulked from the factory all the way around..however the guy who installed our surround missed many places all the way around. I understand that the Rv industry does many strange things but to design a surround to leak is really weird. Looks like we are on the phone to Keystone again looking for someone who has the answer.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:26 AM   #33
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just looked at a few 2006 models and none of the "bottom shower surrounds" are caulked. Sounds like a call might be a good idea.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #34
eztraveler2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #1441

My wife dragged me to a RV show locally in February. We went through the 3400rl and the next thing I new I got hooked and bought one. We have the desert sunset interior, pretty well loaded, currently set up seasonal in upstate N.Y..We have a couple minor glitches with the day/night shades, the one over dinette is beige and the rest are mauve or moroon, the other one over large picture window in rear has tear in end, dealer, Alpin Haus in Amsterdam has ordered replacements. There is also a Camper's World there. Otherwise we love it.
eztraveler2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #35
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Rich,

When you find something out would you post your findings? I hopefully will sign papers on Thursday for the Monty, but only if I feel that things are as they should be. I have emailed my salesman just about every problem that has shown up on the boards. I am sure that the dealer will honor everything, they have already gotten approval on several things from Keystone, but I would love to pull it off the lot and not return. Decals have been ordered for the ones that are damaged, so we will have to return for those.

After looking at floorplans and different models and manufactures for the past two years. I have been like a homing pigeon and returned to the 3400 again and again. I think I might have to paint the shower a beige to put up with it. Just kidding, I really wished that they would have put a better product in them though. You seem to have to trade out on something when you are buying an RV, or so I have been told, the shower is my one item that I would change out.

Colleen
Old 05-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #36
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
richfaa, it seems in some or most cases the pan lip is cut too short going up the wall then they install the surround and depending IF things are level will depend on the wicking of the water hitting the bottom of the surround. In ours you can see a difference in width going from one side to the other - they did use silicone sealing it. This will be our second trip since we had it replaced in the winter of '03/'04.

Gook Luck - it is flustrating!

MontanaSky - we were told that also but somehow ours had a leak into the basement. Too much water gets under the pan causing that black mold - we saw one of those at the dealers that they were fixing.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 05-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #37
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Lorraine,

Every dealer that I have visited have told us that the shower can't leak because of the flashing. I have always doubted that information because of the showers that I have at home with the shower pans. I have always had doubts about how this shower is put together. We only shower so the tub thing isn't an issue. Having a son in mold remediation I know what water can do to any type of surface.

Rich,

Our shower is not caulked around the bottom of the shower walls and the tub. It is caulked around the glass enclosure at the bottom of the glass.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #38
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lorraine,
Sorry to hear you had some leaking trouble.

I am wondering on the shower surround how would enough water get behind there to leak into the basement? The base of the shower goes up approx. 3" and the surround overlaps the base. I was under the impression that "moisture" (not streams or gallons of water) could get behind the surround. This moisture would escape to the bottom of the surround and into the base of the shower. Maybe their has been a big change between my current '04 or my previous '02 coach's in the shower that I do not understand how why Keystone would caulk the base of the surround?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #39
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Eztraveler2000,

Welcome to the MOC, I think you got lost in the shower debate.
You have a great layout in the 3400RL. We have the 2980RL. My wife loves all the counter space in these two layouts. We have had a few little things wrong with our unit, but all fixed up now, I think they all do. If we retire this coming year we may look at getting a 3400RL, but we've only had the 2980 for 6 months. The "hit" on the trade might be a little much but you only go around once.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is my opinion that the primary cause of the "shower leak" is the drain.It is a poor seal, it is only sealed with plumbers putty.We had ours replaced at PDI with a "proper drain" and yes ours was cut to short along the bottom and it was caulked'
armed with information from this forum and a good pre pdi and pdi you will get a good unit out of the dealers lot. Just went out and looked again..the shower enclosure IS NOT caulked along the top..In fact I can get 2 fingers down behind the enclosure in the corner.. I cannot believe that..Water is going to get in there and I do not buy the..let it drain behind the wall and out the bottom ....story. Be that true why did they caulk the bottom when it was to short or was the workman not aware of the "drain behind the wall theory)I will consult with our contractor friend and get his opinion and possible fix.