Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Twist on waste value

We continue to get seepage bypassing the individual tank values into the main waste channel. When we take the cap off to drain we'll sometimes have some waste water behind it. Has anyone used these type of gates to address this issue?
[image]http://www.geocities.com/mountaineer315rls/twiston-valve.jpg[/image]

315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:58 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Yes, these valves are being used by a number of people with good success. You can do a search on the MOC and find past discussions. I too had some seepage after last winters storage and I used a seal lubricant in my holding tank which fixed the small amount of seepage I was experiencing.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:00 AM   #3
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Have looked at these valves. We opted to install a permanent valve instead. Have had the ears break off on the caps. Thought the same may happen with the valve with the same type of hookup. That is the reason we took the other way, plus cheaper to do the permanent valve.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have one installed on my waste line and it has stopped the problem of having a suprise when you take the cap off.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:08 AM   #5
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I added one of these to the end of the line so that I could equilize the tanks and get more storage. about a year ago and no problems yet.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:20 AM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
A "Waste Gate Valve" was one of the best after market products I added. No more surprises!
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:25 AM   #7
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
I have the same problem, It's the kitchen tank that does that. Looks like a great fix.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:44 AM   #8
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I had this problem when I first got the rig only to learn about the galley waste valve on this forum. You may all ready be aware of this valve but it has been one of the best kept secrets among dealers who sell Montana. In my case the galley valve was left open and anytime I moved the unit, galley water would accumulate behind the drain cap. Once I learned about the galley valve hidden between the wheels, and closed it, the "seepage" ended along with the embarrasment.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:28 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Actually it may not be the valves that are leaking. On our rig the water was coming from the galley tank. And it was NOT because it was leaking but rather because of the design of the line run to the main. Depending on model, of course, the galley line can hold a fair amount of water. On ours the line is a bit flat or actually slightly lower near the tank end. This would cause about a half to quart of water to still be in the line after draining.

This, of course, caused the dreaded "surprise" every time we opened the sewer cap to hook up the hose. We installed one of the gate valves and that took care of the problem.
We were fortunate that the rig was still under warranty at the time so the dealer took care of it for us. It is an easy and inexpensive "fix". Everyone should have one!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:18 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ditto what HamRad discusses, only we were not under warranty. No more surprises, easy install, great invention!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #11
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Galley valve?? Galley Tank?? I just went out and looked, only saw black water tank valve and gray water tank valve. Do I have a third tank and valve I know nothing about? If I do have a Galley Tank Valve and close it I would guess it had to be opened sometime to drain it?
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Hey Sweetfire, SUPRISE-SUPRISE. Isn't it nice to see other people getting the suprise once in a while. Just makes you feel not quite as lonely. Thank Goodness I happened to see my Galley Valve and ask about it Enjoy your travels.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sweetfire, you should have a galley pull. It will be in line with your kitchen AND, you will find it under the rig. Ours, same rig as yours, is under the dining room table (slide), near the wheels. It is black and is hard to see cause of the color. I have threatened to paint it WHITE! If you have never found it and never pulled it, it probably is open, that, or you never have to use the galley to do dishes casue someone is eating out a lot! HA HA HA. You have 3 waste water tanks, 1 for black, 1 for gray (usually the pull is next to the one for the black) and one for the galley.

Read the archives, LOTS of discussion on this before.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #14
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
mine is under the dinning slide also and hard to find so I put a elastic band on it hooked to a piece of plastic pipe out to the edge of the slide so I can pull and push without geting under the slide and unhook and store when I move.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

Galley valve?? Galley Tank?? I just went out and looked, only saw black water tank valve and gray water tank valve. Do I have a third tank and valve I know nothing about? If I do have a Galley Tank Valve and close it I would guess it had to be opened sometime to drain it?
Sweetfire,
On the street side of the rig very near the rear look under the trailer and you'll see a pull handle. It is black so a flashlight comes in handy. It is actually just a little easier to see and get to when the dining room slide is out. Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Depending on the model this will be in different places. On the 3400 it is on the street side above the tires. You have to almost lay on the ground and look up and under to see it. Once you know where it is, it isn't as hard but that first time is a bummer.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #17
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Thanks for all the great feedback. I missed earlier threads on this subject. I believe what is happening is what Hamrad described (the long flat run from the galley and water collecting there). I knew of all my valves and always make sure they're closed after draining. It was gray water but its still a nasty little surprise and I'd been pondering this problem for about a year... I think its time to spring for this $15 solution.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #18
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We had the "surpise" drainage on our TT. We got one of these extra values and solved the problem! Works GREAT! We have three holding tanks too on our 315 RLS TT.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #19
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Ok, I'll check again tomorrow. We picked the Monty up late last year and haven't had it out yet. Thank god for you guys/gals. I wonder what other surprizes I'm in for? By the way, what is the capacity of the galley tank?
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
This is some very good info on this topic. I've experinced the same thing on my unit and what Hamrad says makes sense. The valve looks like a good fix. Thanks to all.

Sweetfire the gray water capacity is 76 gals. between both tanks. We cook alot and usually don't eat out. Naturally the galley tank fills pretty quick. I found that a portable tank was nice to have since we camp without sewer hookups alot.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote