Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2005, 03:47 AM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Satellite Internet

Good Morning All,

Has anyone installed a satellite Internet system into or onto their 5er or trailer? If so, please give me the scoop on what product/service was used and how it has worked for you.

Thanks.

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:51 AM   #2
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
We use a tripod system and there is a lot of information about such a system on the newsgroup (yahoo) RVInternetBySatellite and just one of the websites that offer a full hardware system is www.dustyfoot.com
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:13 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
rickfox,
We have had a DirecWay system for about 7 months. We have the tripod system also. The DataStorm system that is the automatic system mounted on top of the rigs was simply too expensive for us. They list at about 4 to 5K per unit. And that does not include installation. That is about another 1 to 2K! And I believe the monthly cost is about $100. That is just for the internet part of things. If you want the DirecTV part of it that costs extra.

With the tripod system the initial cost is about 1500.00. Monthly cost is about 60.00 per month. I think you can buy a quicker connection if you want. We also got the BOW... which is Bird On a Wire. This is the TV part of my system. This makes it easier for us since we don't have to set up a separate dish just for the TV.

It does take a bit of getting used to as far as the setup goes. First time took us several hours. Normally we can now setup within about 30 minutes. So not too bad. Of course it is not as fast nor as easy as the auto system.

Escapees Forum has a pretty good discussion on this subject on their site. We got our system from Dustyfoot and I'd certainly recommend them. Very helpful folks. I've had to call a couple of times and they've always been very supportive. Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:15 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rick
We also have DirecWay and love it. We bought directly from Direcway which may have been a mistake but is turning out okay. They do not support taking it with you but there are plenty of companies selling it that do support it. We have seen quite a few set up in parks as we traveled and knew it could be done. And Dennis and Mary Kay and Sharon and Bob proved it. We do not plan to set ours up unless there is no other internet connection available (WiFi) and we are going to be parked for at least a week. Or we are at a rally with Dennis!
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Thanks for the input. As I understand the Dustyfoot scenero, I purchase the Internet dish antenna and hardware, and a $60/mo. DirecWay Internet service contract from Dustyfoot. For another $150 or so, I can purchase some additional hardware that will allow the same Internet dish to receive DirecTv signals, but that does not include a receiver or satellite TV service.

I have to contact DirecTv to obtain the reciever and monthly service. How is this handled? Do I call them up, have someone then install the service in my home, and then take the receiver with me when I travel? If so, are there any problems in actually receiving the TV signals no matter where I travel? Is is OK with DirecTv that I am really moving from one place to another? Are there any other issues?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will probably go this route next year..Looking at the direct tv website. Directway 599.98 for the equipment then 59.99 per month for the service, Direct tv is 45.99 for the total choice package which we already have.We could just take the receiver with us.That's 105.94 per month for Directway and direct tv.We are already paying 40.00 per month for DSL service which we will not need so -40.00 is 65.94 we will not need our home phone so we will go with our Cell phones home phone is 49.95 per month so - 49.95 =15.99 per month for both..not bad..you can get both signals on the same dish but have not seen a price for that from Directway..will check out thes dustyfoot for pricing?? No matter what direct tv may say you do NOT need a phone connection (for pay TV and troubleshooting) and directtv will work anywhere as long as you point it in the right direction.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Just don't tell DirecTV you are traveling. There is a form you can fill out to get an RV permit. We just "bought" our DirecTV dish and receiver and had them install it (free), Then we did what we wanted and also added another receiver. We decided to keep our TV and Internet separate because we use the DirecTV when we will not use the Internet depending on how long we will be parked and also what services are available at the campground. You can get service from DirecTV as long as you have a clear view of the satellite. Local channels do not apply to this. Be sure you get a dual transformer so you can hook up another receiver if you want. We have two receivers on the one dish because it has the dual transformer. We are in our stick house right now and have the dish setting on the patio on the small tripod we use in the Monty. We have four TV's hooked to it with the two receivers. We originally purchased this setup in Northern Calif. and moved it here with no problems as well as to several RV parks.
We do not or never have had our receivers hooked to a phone line. When we want to order Pay Per View, I do it on the Internet.
Happy trails..............
Old 11-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sue..good point about keeping directway and direct tv on separate antenna 's. That is a really good idea.We have 4 receivers strung out around the house right now but will cut that down to 2 when we hit the road..We are also looking at using the cell phone as a modem for internet access when needed..Internet access is a MUST for us as we do everything on the internet.We try to stay at CG's that have WIFI but that is not always possible.Several hundred heads ARE better than one/////
Unless I am reading something wrong on that dustyfoot web site.It is way less expensive to get the directway system from direct tv.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:17 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Yes Rich but they insist you have it connected to your house or a post set in cement. You will need to buy a tripod and have an adapter made for the direcway to hook onto the tripod. Sharon and Bob did that. You can buy a contractors tripod at home depot for under $100. Our son-in-law will make the adapter (has to be welded) for us. Dustyfoot's system as a lot of additional tools to use to get set up but you can buy them individually. And you can download their manual. Depends on how much time you have to get everything set up. If we were to do it again, I might go the dustyfoot way but not sure.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickfox

Thanks for the input. As I understand the Dustyfoot scenero, I purchase the Internet dish antenna and hardware, and a $60/mo. DirecWay Internet service contract from Dustyfoot. For another $150 or so, I can purchase some additional hardware that will allow the same Internet dish to receive DirecTv signals, but that does not include a receiver or satellite TV service.

Rickfox,

That is correct.

There are other companies that do the same type thing. Probably a good idea to do some comparison shopping. Don't know about the deal directly from DirecWay mentioned by richfaa but if true that would be the best deal by far.

I have to contact DirecTv to obtain the reciever and monthly service. How is this handled? Do I call them up, have someone then install the service in my home, and then take the receiver with me when I travel? If so, are there any problems in actually receiving the TV signals no matter where I travel? Is is OK with DirecTv that I am really moving from one place to another? Are there any other issues?

Technically you should complete an RV Wavier. It is free and I think you can download the form. We just take one of our home receivers with us when we travel. As long as you can hit the satellite there is no trouble getting the TV signal. Actually we often get a stronger signal on the road. If you have "local" channels remember that they are good only for a certain distance. We don't have that service so I'm not sure. I think the limit is about 2 or 3 hundred miles. Don't confuse "local" channels with the east coast and west coast feeds. These channels can go with you wherever you go. We have Fox, ABC, NBC, and CBS from L.A. and New York. Costs a buck or two for each of these.

A couple of times I've had to call DirecTV because not all our services were activated. No problem and all services were back on in a matter of minutes.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
The local service must be more than that. We signed up for local while up north but because our billing address was in Hemet (So. Calif.) we got the LA local stations. Distance was around 500 Miles. It was okay with us because it kept us up to date on what was happening at home. The purchase deal direct from DirecWay does not give you anything to travel with, you have to add all that. However, in the long run I think it may be cheaper depending on the adapter that has to be made. If you have a friend that welds, probably cheaper. If you have to go to a shop, may not be. I think Sharon and Bob said a friend did theirs.
Happy trails......................
Old 11-11-2005, 01:39 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The difference between Dustyfoot and Direct tv @600.00 VS @1500.00 is way to much. Just for the drill I called directway and told them I wanted the unit installed on the roof and they said "anywhere you want it" I can jury-rig something for less than@900.00.00 if we go that route. The local chan distance varies..It is @ 300 miles for us, Will not take local service with us/Will run local wherever we are stations through the Rv antenna. Hamrad is correct about that "waiver" .I think the reason behind it is that they want you to buy another receiver because if you say ..Ok then I will buy one for the Rv they are glad to sell you one and tack another 4.99 onto your bill.We take the receiver from the family room..been doing it for years..The Direct tv Police have not caught up with us yet.... We have about a year to make up our minds..Less that 90 days to 3670 order time....
Old 11-11-2005, 04:53 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Rich, did Direcway confirm that their price has been discounted $1000? I thought that they used to be the same price as Dustyfoot. Do you get everything you need to be mobile in this deal? What about the tripod?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Judy,
That is not a discounted price. With DirecWay package you get the dish, the modem and wiring and installation. With Dustyfoot, you get the tripod with special bracket, a tool to help you get to the satellite a well as other special tools to help you set up. DirecWay tells you you cannot move the unit yourself. But many do but DirecWay will not support moving it unless a technician does it. All of the components of the Dustyfoot package can be purchased separately. Go to their website and check it out.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
East Coast feed and West Coast feed. Are you signed up for one and not the other? When you cross over that imaginary line are you just out of luck or can you automatically pick up the feed from the other coast? For those of us who traverse both sides of the country...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
My daughter has DirecTV at her house and she pays something like $5 or less per month to get both feeds. It is nice if you want to watch 2 things that are at the same time. Then you can watch one on the East and one on the West. Otherwise they go by your address. If you go the RV route, I don't know how they do it. We haven't done that yet and probably won't until we start fulltiming.
Happy trails......................
Old 11-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #17
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
I have had DirectTv for several years. We have traveled with it every where we go. When we first got it, it was through the rural country company and they would not let me travel with it, period! I was very happy when they switched us back to DirectTv. When I talked to them and told them what I wanted to do, use it when we travel, they told me that it would be ok to use my secondary receiver. I can get everything on the road that I get at home. We can't get locasl channels here in Twin Falls, Idaho because the local channels won't give me permission. But I do get the west coast stations for $1.50 each. They also told me that I could not receive the NFL package while traveling, but I do and love it.
Now with all that said, I do not have Directway internet but am interested in knowing about it.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:13 PM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
With DirecTV we aren't aware of the West/East coast feeds. We do get the programs as they come from our home base, i.e., central time zone. So when we're on the west coast, the football games start at 5 or 6 o'clock, instead of 8 pm. We didn't sign up for local channels but will use the antenna to get the local stations in the area where we're camping.

Sue, I thought that the price was the way you stated. Just wanted to make sure.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

Rich, did Direcway confirm that their price has been discounted $1000? I thought that they used to be the same price as Dustyfoot. Do you get everything you need to be mobile in this deal? What about the tripod?
Go to the directway web site and check out the details or www.directtv.com
Old 11-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Judy..you do not get a tripod with the directway deal but a tripod is not expensive.Think the one we use for direct tv was like 29.95 from radio shack... It is not difficult to install or to find the Sat..check out both sites for details.