Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
Montana_4784

M.O.C. #4784
Where to mount a bike rack?

We just purchased a 2006 Keystone Montana 2955RL. We would like to add a bike rack for 2 bikes. We didn't want to add a receiver hitch on the back just for a bike rack. I know they make a rack that mounts on the rear ladder but we were worried that would add to much weight to the ladder area. Does anyone have any experience/success with mounting a rack and where did they mount it?
Hope someone can help.
J.Goering

Montana_4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Judy,
Several members have used the bike rakes on the ladder. Judy and Glen went all the way to Alaska and back with theirs and didn't mention any problems. We have seen a lot of other RVers with the ladder rack. We have also seen some with bikes racks on the front of the truck but that requires welding. I saw one that clamps to the underside of the unit and then the bikes are on the back. Not sure if it was a purchased one or home made but it could be taken off. Two pieces of metal that clamped to I guess the frame and then curved up the back of the unit. He took it off when parked. I' sure some other ideas will be posted for you.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I use a front end mounted "Hidden Hitch" class 3 receiver. I got it from J.C. Whitney (about $90.00), took about 1/2 hour to install (Just bolts on using the same bolt holes in the frame for the front bumper. Its very useful for hauling bikes, or moving boats, or small trailers in tight spots (or Wave Runners, or something else that is hard to see behind the truck).
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I turned ours upside down and front to back, and put them up by the cab, no carrier at all [we have a LB]. I secured them so they wouldn't fall over and didn't rub together and put a folded piece of plastic under each seat, between the seat and the bed.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We carried two adult mountain bikes on a ladder rack for two years and 20,000+ miles without a problem. Those ladders are strong and the mounting points on the Montana are very strong (could tell you a story that convinced me of that). The only problem was having to dismount the bikes to climb the ladder. I climbed around the rack but couldn't get around the bikes.

Just be sure the lowest point of the bikes is above the rear of the Montana (has to do with my story mentioned above).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe I just saw were the new 2006 Montana "Mountaineer Edition" actually has a built in, extendable bike rack in the back bumper of the unit that pulls out and locks in place. Why isn't this done on most 5vers? Seems like many campers like taking their bikes and it's almost like that segment of the camping population has been ignored by the rv industry.

Also, I read on another forum that putting a bike rack on the back of a 5ver may void the warranty. Someone on the same thread commented that he called a bike rack mfr 2 years ago and they told him, "No problem" putting a their unit on the back frame of any 5ver. So another guy on the forum called the same mfr and all of a sudden they were real cool to the idea and told him they did not recommend that anymore. Something must have happened???

Another thought that seemed to prevail was that anything on the back of a 5ver will be subject to a lot more pounding than if a rack was placed elsewhere.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I am leaning towards a ladder mounted system myself. We carry them in the truck now if we take them. I feel if the ladder rack can hold a full size adult such as myself it will easily hold two bikes. And as long as they are strapped tightly to the ladder, and as Steve mentioned high enough not to drag when entering parking lots you should be fine.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:23 AM   #8
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
I saw some campers staying the night at a truck-stop. One had a rack that seemed to be attached to the front of the rig. I guess it was some how mounted to the kingpin area. Has anyone ever seen this and if so, does it work with a truck that has a short bed?
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:23 AM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I saw this on a post on another site. Looks like a good place for the bikes.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #10
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
DHenry, That is the rack that I saw. Do you know if it works for a short bed.
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
We have an '05 2955RL and, like someone else also mentioned, I put a Hidden Hitch 2" front receiver on my truck. Simple to install - uses same bolts as the tow hooks - no welding. About $100.00. Use it with a 3-bike rack. Before you ask, I have not had any problems with engine/tranny overheating. The bikes (we carry 2) don't block that much air.

Also, there IS a limitation when attaching any receiver to the rear of any Montana frame. Lippert was at the G.L. regional rally and stated emphatically several times that anything over 150 lb.s (including the weight of the receiver) WILL void your frame warranty.
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
The Wind, no I do not know anything about it. I would think it could get in the way on a short bed.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Got a guy right across the street carrying two bikes on a mount attached to the top of the hitch pin assembly. I can take a picture, if you want, and send it to you. My personal opinion is that it sticks out too far and could impact the rear of the cab on a tight turn. Seems not to be a problem for them, however.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
You can purchase a bar that hangs on the ladder that holds the bikes works good if you want to haul that way - we also heard about warranty problems if you make a weld to the frame (not factory done) - and when we looked at our truck (2004 Dodge 1 ton) we saw where the front hitch would mount with no problems - a friend from work did ours in less than an hour - it's rock solid, and we can see that the bikes are still with us - tootling down the road at various speeds and over bumps and through construction - so either way is a good way - lifting the mountain bikes can be burdensome off the ladder if you need to use the ladder in a hurry - but good planning and maintenance has something to do with a "need to hurry" sometimes, you just need to do what works for you the best - if we are just going camping close to home, we haul the bikes in the truck on each side - no problem there either with just the two of us.

Keep Smiling - Happy Trails
Chaser (Mike & Evy Orlob)
Wintering in Arizona (with bikes, golf clubs an fishin poles)
2004 3295; 2004 Dodge Ram - along with the "kids": Cubby, Buddy, Heather and Haley
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, I didn't know you guys were talking about us or I would have jumped into this conversation earlier. Our bicycles are still traveling on their ladder rack after over four months on the road, including the bumps in Alaska. They have ridden there without incident for over 16000 miles. The ladder is still in good shape. It's a little inconvenient to have them there but the ladder is holding up great.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #16
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
We bought a receiver hitch from www.etrailer.com that fits our truck at the front end and it took about 10 min to install. Its a class III hitch good for pulling 9000lbs. and 300 lbs. of tongue weight.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #17
Montana_4784

M.O.C. #4784
Thanks to all who responded to my recent post. We do have a short box truck bed and felt that it was to close to mount the rack to the top of the hitch pin. I think the way it sounds we should mount the bike rack to the ladder or on the front of the truck. Now we just have to find the bike rack that will fit the ladder or on the front of the truck. Thanks again for the help. It's always good to get advise from experienced RV's.
Montana_4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JAGoering

Thanks to all who responded to my recent post. We do have a short box truck bed and felt that it was to close to mount the rack to the top of the hitch pin. I think the way it sounds we should mount the bike rack to the ladder or on the front of the truck. Now we just have to find the bike rack that will fit the ladder or on the front of the truck. Thanks again for the help. It's always good to get advise from experienced RV's.
I have a problem with mounting the bikes in front of the truck and that is that you really don't want to hinder the air flow through the radiator. Also, there is the risk of banging up the bikes if per chance you get too close to someone when turning or backing. Or, God forbid, someone gets too close to the front of your setup with the back of a big truck or something.

I like the idea of putting the bike rack in the back somewhere. If nothing else, then hang the bike rack on the ladder.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:40 PM   #19
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I would have a problem putting them on the back as that is the area that bounces up and down the most. If you can secure them so they cannot rub their paint off then I would consider mounting them on the back. I do not think you can block the air flow enough on the front to hinder your engine to the point of harming it.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The paint does get rubbed off on the ladder rack.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote