Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Rita has roads packed

Called our winter place in Del Rio, TX and they said it is crazy down there. They are getting a lot of people from Houston area and I 10 is packed with cars, some running out of gas and being left on the side of the road. Gas stations are closing as they run out of fuel. If you have extended cable, CNN & weather station are doing the reporting.

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Things are getting some better. There are over 200 camped in Bastrop State Park. Some are just sleeping on picnic tables or in their cars in the parking lot. It is a crazy time, but in about 3 days they will hopefully be able to return home. We are just getting wind warnings for tomorrow and some rain. The temps have been 100 to 103 the last 2 days. We hope to leave the middle of the week for Minden. It will depend on the gas situation.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I lived on the coast of Texas near or in Houston from 1942. So sat through or ran from every storm since. The key to evacuation is to leave before they tell you to do so. None of the thoroughfares in the states are capable of handling the traffic. It is my contention that by the time you know the storm is coming your way with certainty, it is too late to get out. I would rather ride out the storm in my home than on any freeway in my car.

I have two children who reside in the Galveston, Houston area. I called them and suggested they leave as early as last Tuesday. They didn't. But they did leave early Wednesday and by using back roads and avoiding major arteries, they were able to significantly reduce their time in getting to a safe place.

I am grateful that they are safe and that their homes may be safe and I pray for those in harms way. As I write, I am listening to the live feed of a Houston radio station. It is 12:30 PM Houston time and I am getting a blow by blow discription of the storm. I must say it is hard to be here in Hong Kong during this time.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Stiles
I do pray that your family is safe. I know what you mean by being far away. That is the way I felt last year when Florida was being hit and we couldn't contact our daughter who lives in Gulfport Florida. Fortunately they made it though all 3 hurricanes without problems. We hope your family does also.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote