Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Laptop computers

Can anyone tell me how they use a laptop while fulltiming or on a camping trip. I would like to use my cell phone and get a laptop that would function with the cell phone. Does anyone have this setup? can it/does it work? I just need to be able to access my home and office email while I'm away. Thanks

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Many do and am sure you will get many replies.Most campgrounds have internet access (dialup) WIFI is becoming more and more common.We use software called Datapilot to connect the internet via the cell phone. We rely completely on the internet to pay bills and communicate while on the road and it is becoming very easy to do so. We also have a GPS link to the laptop.Most any newer lap top will have what you need to do everything that you want.You will get enough feedback from your post to get you going in the right direction.Good reading...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Pete,

There are many ways to get on the internet while on the road.

1. Cell phone - We use Verizon Wireless with their Mobile Office kit.
2. WiFi - Our computers are built to send and receive information on the internet whenever we are in range of a hot spot. Some hot spots will charge you for access.
3. Land line phone. - Many campgrounds have open phone connections that can be used to connect your computer's modem to an ISP. We have stopped using this because we do not feel that it is worth paying a monthly fee to the ISP for the few times that we use them.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Another option on the laptop and cell phone - we bought the cable from Nokia to connect our phone to the laptop. It also comes with software. With this software the cell phone appears to the laptop to be just another modem. This method is generally slow but works for us for those rare times we do not have wifi or a phone connection in the park. With this method you have to have your own isp to dial up but Cingular doesn't know or care that we're doing this. They just charge our minutes as if it were a regular voice call. (so we use the nights/weekend minutes).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have been very successful on our trip to Alaska using our Verizon cell phone connections (which have been much better than on our Cingular phone, by the way) in the lower 48. It also works in Alaska around the bigger cities, mainly Fairbanks and Anchorage. In Canada, you can connect on computers at the Visitors Centers and libraries to check your email. Once in a while a nice person will allow you to connect with your own laptop.

Wireless has been very available in the lower 48 and farther north. You may pick it up near gas stations, campgrounds, or personal residences. We're used it for quick checks of our email.

I think with wireless capabilities and an internet connection through your cell phone, you can stay pretty connected.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, two of our MOC members who were in this park were unable to get a good signal at our site while we have had consistently strong signals. We all three have Cingular. But one of them had a Motorola flip phone and the other the Samsung flip phone. We have a cheap Nokia. Our youngest son's Verizon coverage is much poorer than our Cingular in the same areas. Yet others have just the opposite experience. Now I'm wondering how much the phone factors in to getting a good signal. I've never seen any kind of phone comparison on this but sure would like to see one. That would explain the differing experiences. Another thing to put on my list to research I guess.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve, there are new phones that are tri-mode, analog, yadda-yadda. The newer ones usually work better. Another thing that you can do, at least with Verizon, is "re-program_ your phone to a new area. I think I dial *228 and there are voice commands. Each company can probably do this readjustment as you move around, but I don't know how it's done. It would be worth looking into.

Different phones do work differently within the same company. Our daughter has always had those Nokia basic models and she picks up signals everywhere.

Apparently Verizon is coming out with some new, fast service over the cell phone that competes with wireless in speed. I just read that somewhere.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:57 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We use the Verizon Air Card Access Manager. The card utilizes the same Verizon cell phone signal as the cell phone uses but does not interfere with using our phone. We can use the cell phone and be online at the same time. Only problem is cost, for unlimited use it costs about $80 a month.
As far as speed...Depends on location, most days it is as fast as Road Runner or DSL and some days it's as slow as a 14.4 kbps connection. Here in northern NY it is SLOW back in PA it was FAST.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 AM   #9
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Thanks for all the great information, I feel more comfortable with it now. I have cingular cell phone service and central florida road runner.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, our basic Nokia 6340i does great at getting signals so we probably don't need an adjustment. It was the others with the other phones having problems. We were thinking of going to a flip phone but if they don't grab the signal like this plain Nokia then we'll stay with this one. We are in too many places around the country to risk not getting signals. We have been extremely pleased with the reception with Cingular so see no reason to change. I saw something about both Verizon and Cingular coming out with some new wireless internet things. Competition is good, I guess!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:49 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think competition is working in our favor. Steve, you've mentioned that you bought a cable for your phone. Is that all you bought? You don't pay Cingular anything extra? We're thinking about getting a cable for Glen's phone but we were told that there was an extra monthly charge.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We just Dumped NEXTEL, NO service east of Colorado springs till we got to Junction City,Ks So we went to Cingular last week and so far it is great,new phones that are on the new EDGE network,the phone hook up w/cable and it is really fast. We also got the card for the lap top which was $299. but free if yo sign up for 2 yrs. so we can use the phone or the card at the same speed was a little pricey but cheaper than nextel check the cingular web site We got a government discount on all our equipment and get a 19% off our bill every month. other companys have discounts also just need a work email address and it will tell you if you get one or not. It really depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #13
Montana_4359

M.O.C. #4359
You can also look at Directway (I think that is what it is called) by direct tv and you can hook up to the internet anywhere as long as you can hit the satilite for about 55 a month and then you can have direct tv as well in your camper. May cost alot for equipment up front but you will have an easier time connecting than with the cell conection but that can be fast as well but the directway will always be fast minus trees in the way.
Montana_4359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:45 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
You can only get both off the same dish if you order it that way. Dennis (Hamrad) has his set up with both but we decided to keep ours separate because the Direcway is a lot more trouble to set up than the DirectTV. Also you have to pay for both services. Direcway is $59.95 plus you buy the dish for $600 or you can pay $99.95 each month until the dish is paid for. DirectTv cost range depending on how many channels you select. But boy is Direcway fast. We are just now in the process of hooking it up to our stick house (we are grounded until we can find a new truck) and I can't wait.
Happy trails..............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote