Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2005, 09:56 AM   #21
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Please don't let our small problems change your mind about coming to Alaska, Rich and Helen. The things that we have experienced could have happened in the lower 48, too. The roads did not effect the water tank failure. We hadn't driven in the big construction areas when it dropped out. And Keystone is behind us and our repair, so far. And a fuel pump failure or whatever could happen anywhere.

The roads are different because of the extremes of hot and cold and the fact that all the work has to be done in the summer. The big thing to realize is the vastness of the state. Nothing is close or as built up as in the states. But the beauty is unspeakable. And there's sort of a pioneer spirit here that induces people to help out and look out for one another. If we had broken down on the road, I would be much more secure about accepting help from someone up here than in the lower 48. Besides, half the people on the road are RVers who are looking out for one another.

All we hear about and remember are the folks who have "big" stories to tell. There are hundreds who don't have any failures. Don't take the trip off your agenda. You'd be cheating yourself.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have been to Alaska years ago while in the Military.Traveled the Alcan starting at White horse. Beautiful Country and Oh yes we will get there.Will take a year or two to work all the bugs out of the new 5th.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:22 AM   #23
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's exactly what we did, Rich. We bought our fiver last March (2003) and camped in it over the summer and fall. Then we packed for Alaska except for our winter clothes, and did several trial runs during the spring and visited our grandchidren at the same time. We had very little last minute preparation for our actual trip. In fact, we left a day early because we were so prepared.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:28 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy and Glen, I'm sorry to hear of the truck problem. It sounds a lot like a clogged fuel filter. I hope it's something like that and not water in the engine or something else more serious. Hope you're back on track shortly! Meanwhile, if you have to be 'stranded', you can't do much better than where you are!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #25
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We're stranded for another day. No truck fix today. But we got a nice email from Keystone stating that they hoped our repair was going well. We appreciated their interest.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:23 PM   #26
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, I hope you have as much luck with your truck as we did with ours. Ours turned out to be a small stone the got caught up in the inside caliper (sp) of the brake system. The Ford Dealer took it apart and removed the stone. They didn't charge us much and had it fixed by 10:30 this morning. We were able to pack up and still make it to Glacier before nightfall. Guess I still love our truck after all.
Best to you.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #27
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, I'm so glad that your repair turned out to be so minor. We still haven't heard about our truck. Communication isn't easy up here. We just had a note through the campground operator/owner that said the truck wouldn't be done today. Today was the day for our appointment with the RV dealer in Anchorage. And the server is down somewhere. Life goes on.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:36 AM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, the new photo on your sig line, very nice, where is that????????????????????

Sorry your truck is still sick.

Helen, glad yours is fixed tho!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:53 AM   #29
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Carol, those are the mountains across from our campsite. I just lost a lot of sympathy, didn't I? There are mountains all around us with a road cut through them. There's a river valley and we can watch the scenic train drive along the track that's half way up the mountain. It's a beautiful place. And it fun to see the weather change over the mountains. It's as though each direction has it's own weather system happening.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:15 AM   #30
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, I will say this for ya! You sure know where to break down!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:18 AM   #31
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You are so right, Carol! Some of the effect in that photo is from the smoke from the forrest fires that was in the air for a couple of days. Since it's rained, the air is clear again.