Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2005, 05:29 AM   #1
Richard
Established Member

M.O.C. #2499
Shower water faucets / regulators

We just purchased a used 2004 3400RL and couldn't be more pleased with it, but I'm trying to solve a few of the nit and picks.

Is there a replacement faucet assembly or "fix" for the standard shower faucet regulators? When I turn on HOT, it streams out fine with good pressure (we're on city water via hose right now) but when I mix cold water and try to turn it down to a constant temperature, the hot water side keeps getting weaker, while the cold stays more steady. The result: constant adjustment is needed and a comfortable shower is nearly impossible.

We have the (optional?) shower stall, not the "garden tub" but I imagine the water faucets are the same.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Could this be a flow problem occurring at the hot water heater rather than the shower control? Have you checked the "bubble" or air pocket that is supposed to be in the heater? If you have a six gallon heater rather than a 10 gallon, showers have to be quick to avoid out running you heater capacity.

The truth is I don't know, but these are some thoughts I had. Personally, I don't like the quality level of the OEM faucets on the Montana and am looking for the right configuration of an upgrade for the next time I replace the shower controls. The OEM is all chrome colored plastic and the leaking one I just replaced did not appear repairable.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi,

What you describe is not our experience, and I don't recall it coming up as a topic here before. The quality of the taps may not be great, but at least for us, they work fine. I would look for other possible causes for the problem you describe before you get into changing the taps. Is there a pinched or kinked line somewhere?

Maybe others will have better ideas, but I would not assume that the problem is necessarily with taps .
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:54 AM   #4
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
How do you know that the hot side is getting weaker?
When I take a shower in our trailer I turn the hot on and then just crack the cold faucet. It's very sensitive but I can get it adjusted to a comfortabe temp. It doesn't take much cold to cool the hot down. I believe it has to do with the plumbing arrangement from the city water inlet through the hot water heater versus the cold line.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I have the same problem. If I turn on the hot water faucet valve, the flow will start out high, and gradually reduce about 30-34% in a minute. It then seems to stabilize. If I initially turn on the hot water to full, I have no problem. I have attributed this to the fact that when the hot water heater is first used, it has the highest pressure, due to the water being the hottest. As the cold water enters the tank the temperture is reduced, and the pressure is reduced. This may not be logical, but it is what I have guessed. Either way, our problem is solved by turning the valve on full, and regulating the pressure with the replacement showerhead we added.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Seems like there were post's on this subject recently. I think there is a check valve which can be installed in the hot water line close to the tank. Might do a search. Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:22 AM   #7
Richard
Established Member

M.O.C. #2499
Thanks for the reply all. I wrote the question and then haven't been able to get back onto the board for the past couple of days to read the answers. Something funny about my being to sign in.

I'll look further into it and if I find an answer, I'll post it under this messaging heading.

Thanks,

Richard

Old 01-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we had this problem in our stick home it turned out to be the hot faucet had a washer intended for the cold side. As the water heated up the washer would swell up, restricting the flow. We have not had this problem on ours. Our experience is similar to OntMont and BigBlue. I do know that as we start to run out of hot water the stream will start to get cooler. At that point I reach down and turn down (or off) the cold water and hurry up and finish my shower. But I don't think this is what you're talking about, is it?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:08 AM   #9
Richard
Established Member

M.O.C. #2499

Hi Steve,

No, I'm not running out of hot water, but that point about the wrong washer in your stick home is certainly something to check. This Montana (although we bought it "used") is still a 2004 so I wouldn't expect the washers to be wearing out yet, but it sounds like something to check.

Actually, I'm getting pretty adept at one handed showering and one-handed constant adjusting...lol.....I'm an early riser so a little too much hot water is better than not enough in these chilly mornings. I'll let you know if I figure out a cure.

Richard