Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Which One??

Okay, here's the deal. Went to our 529th (maybe a slight exaggeration)and final RV show today to attempt to decide on which 5er is for us. Looked at and ruled out the other four finalists...Carriage Cameo LXI, Jayco Designer, Sunny Brook, and Nu Wa (as for Nu Wa, if they don't even bother to show up, heck with them). They were ruled out for a number of reasons...cost, too heavy, too fancy, weird floor plans, dealer too far away, did not like the dealer/salesman, etc. Now the question is which Montana? Thought we liked the 2980/3075...then the DW saw the 3000rk...then today she saw the 3400rl...then she saw the 3295rk. They don't make this easy!! Prices at the show were only about 10% off msrp. Our local dealer advertises an 'everyday price' of 15% off, which, to me is not very good. We plan to order an '07 (assuming we can decide on one), so I would hope we can do better with a discount. I'm following the other thread on the 3400rl and the amounts discounted with interest. Any comments would be most welcome.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are just going to keep going back and forth till one jumps out at you.. We started with the 3295..Then decided tne 3670 was perfect for us..then they discontinued the 3670 which floored us..then we picked up on the 3400rl and that is what we purchased..That process took about 1 year..hope you can do it in a lot less time. If you haven't already done it try this..Take a sheet of legal size paper..or maybe 2 or 3 sheets, and the both of you sit down and write down everything you need /want in your camper..this might take several days or weeks..Helen kept a list for ..THREE YEARS. We concentrated on the camper first before we bought the truck so that we could buy the truck that matched the camper. How much counter..space..Helen carried a tape measure around with her for 3 years.Open floor plan???Rear Kitchen???? how many slides???How heavy, how long..how will you use the camper anything and everything that pops into your mind..Then after a while take a look at the list..It will most likely tell you what camper you need. In my previous life we called it a "needs assesment" Considering what you do My guess is you have already done that or are doing it..It works..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Cat,

As I said on the other thread, look online and get quotes, you can do better and then you can hopefully still buy it from your local dealer after you negotiate.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
You should get at least 25% off MFG. As for which one, you have to make that choice. We loved the 3670 when we walked in it and now we are thinking if we were to get another we would look seriously at the 3475. I saw on this forum a 2006 3670 so I was surprised when I heard it was discontinued. Maybe it is discontinued for 2007, I am not sure.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Cat,

Picking a floor plan is easier if you can state your requirements (something like what Rich is suggesting), your life style, your camping habits, your camping dreams, do you like to cook, do you plan on eating out every meal, do you have animals, kids, all that stuff. When you know your lifestyle and your needs, it becomes a bit easier.

For us, the deal breaker consisted of 2 requirements, had to have a desk and that desk could not be ANYWHERE near the tely. Walked into the 3295, looked at hubby 30 seconds later and said, this is it! Did not look at the bedroom area, figured I would live with whatever was up there! The 2 requirements were formulated by our current hobbies, pets, and lifestyle and 2 long stretches in the ole TT with computers, cooking and dog grooming all taking place at one kitchen table, no slides, etc.

Know who and what you are, what are your lifestyle likes and dislikes, the choice becomes easier.

Good luck, and enjoy!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

You should get at least 25% off MFG. As for which one, you have to make that choice. We loved the 3670 when we walked in it and now we are thinking if we were to get another we would look seriously at the 3475. I saw on this forum a 2006 3670 so I was surprised when I heard it was discontinued. Maybe it is discontinued for 2007, I am not sure.

CAT
Do not note what part of the country you are in but if you live west of the Mississippi you will pay more..if in Calif..more yet..Frieght goes up and I am told some dealers are now charging a steep "fuel surcharge" But as stated above you should hang in there for 25 to 30% off MSVRP..we did 32% from a great dealer in Ohio.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Be sure to look at the 3475 before you decide. We sure love ours. But we were looking for a full timers unit and this fit the best. I have not seen a Montana that I haven't loved.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My recommendation is that you visit each model. Sit in it. Walk around in it. Mentally walk through your life activities and see how it fits. How much do you cook? How much counter space is enough? How little will cause you aggravation and regret? Same with storage, inside and out. Sit and look at the tv. Can you see it ok? Will you get a neck cramp? How about when folks visit. Can you be comfortable while holding a conversation? Do you both go to bed at the same time, rise at the same time? If not, does the layout work for you to carry out your normal routine? Remember if you live in this thing for any time at all you don't want to be "making do" with something less than what you need or want. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Good luck. Isn't it nice to have so many great models to choose from?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Further to what everyone is saying: All are good ideas, another thing to think about is how long do you plan to be in it and given that information; Will it suit your needs (for the very most part) the whole time or a short time, We thought we had the best one (3295)for our style of rving, and we did, but in the last two years, we changed and are changing our life style, so we changed Montanas to a 3400, you can do extended living in a 3295 very well (Steve an Vicki can attest to that) and many others have other units that they do well in; All are very close quarters after awhile - so take your time; The 3295 took us two years to decide on (we kept thinking we should look at others - learned there aren't many others out there worth looking at); and, the second time took us less than 20 minutes and we didn't take the one we thought we were going to.....so keep those check lists and check back on them until you've chosen THE ONE or at least eliminated models.
Good Luck! hope we see you down the road

CHASER
Mike & Evy Orlob
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #10
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
We were looking at the H.R. Presidential with the same floor plan as our 06 3670. We really would have been happy with either one. However, we were able to buy the Montana fully loaded for $ 10,000 LESS than the H.R. and the Montana had more quality features built in that were unavailable on the H.R. We have never regretted our decision!
yvonnenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
If you are watching price, the Mountaineers are worth a look. We have the 328RLS and I am very happy with it. They are made by Montana just not as much eye candy. Pretty fair difference in price.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I generally agree with what has been said. A couple of points that I would keep in mind:

1. Look at each trailer with the slides in. This can be an important factor if you intend to stop on the road to eat, or overnight at a Flying J or WalMart where you can't usually extend the slides.

2. Price is important, but remember that you are also buying the dealer's after-sales service, and support in case of warranty issues. I would not necessarily buy the very lowest price offered.

3. Make sure that your tow vehicle matches your choice. (This is easier said, than done).

Good luck, remember ...getting there is half the fun!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #13
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
When you make up your mind (which is the hardest part), 25% to 30% off MSRP is the norm.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We do have the 3670 model and really love it. It has most of the things that we needed. Sue likes the open living area but not everyone has the same needs. Just find out what you like and what suites you. The price is very important but we both feel that the dealer is just as important. There will be some issues no matter what unit you get and you want a reputable dealer that will be there for you when things happen.....
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I really love my 3400RL, it has served me very well for the past 2 years. I can only agree with all the other members, spend time in each and every floorplan. Sit, stand, lay down, and just find the one that jumps at you screaming take me home. I tried to spend about 45 mins in the top 4 floor plans, did this 3 weekends in a row and the 3400RL was the one. Best of luck in your decision.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #16
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
The floorplan that works for you is the one you will want to buy.
Some like an open floorplan where we loved the separate living area that could be closed off in our 348RLS Mountaineer. We didn't want a bunkhouse but wanted to have a sleeping area for guests that could be made private.
25% off MSRP should be the minimum for the basic unit. I'm sure there will be surcharges etc for transport.
Feel good about the dealer you buy from. Check references from other users.
All RV's will have things to fix and the dealer is the one to be able to trust.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The 3670 was our first choice, if fact we had just about ordered it, price agreeed upon and all, then they discontinued the model..We really liked the open floor plan of the 3670.We got the 3400 and we are happy with that model.It actually , by Helen's measurements, has more counter space.Everything is a trade off. We spent a lot of time looking over the 3400 before we purchased it but let me tell you there is nothing like having it sit in the driveway for 6 weeks to REALLY get to know it. Agree about the choice of a dealer..Now if you are going to buy then leave the area the dealer makes little difference but if you are going to be near your dealer..the dealer will make all the difference in the world on how you feel about Keystone and Montana.