Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Why should I buy a 2003 3255RL

I am considering buying a 2003 or 2004 3255RL Montana and wondered if anyone had any experience with this model? Would you recommend it or should I be looking at something else? I know this has to do with my needs but I am just looking for any positive or negative comments from people who know. Thanks a lot from someone who hasn't pulled a trailer yet. Very new to all this.

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
gojodo, first welcome to the forum, you'll get a lot of great info here. Before we purchased our present model we had a 3255 and it was great. The reason we went to three slides was this present model was the one we wanted ih the first place. We couldn't pull the 3280 with the truck we started with, but when we went to the deisel, we changed models. The 3255 is well worth looking into, but the saying is : 1 slide-want 2: 2 slides- want 3. The 3255 is a very good 5er, pulls great and lots of room! Enjoy your Monty, whatever model!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
What's to say? It's a Montana. I say if it's in good condition, the price is right and it serves your needs by all means grab it.

As far as the towing, it ain't all that difficult. Towing straight down the hiway is the easy part. I suggest you find a big empty parking lot, get some traffic cones and do some backing and turning.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:37 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If the unit doesn't show signs of abuse or abnormal wear, if there is a service record you can peruse, if it fits your needs and desires, then go for it. I am one who bought a pre-enjoyed unit. It has been everything I wanted and more. That doesn't mean I haven't had a problem or two, but so do the new ones. Solving problems is part of the RVing game. The MOC is a great place to get them solved with the expert help of those just a bit ahead of you on the experience ladder. Welcome.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:08 AM   #5
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Welcome to MOC! I, too, will probably be looking for a pre-owned Montana when the time comes, so I will be following your posts to see what happens with yours.
Best of luck. Use the "search" feature in the upper right of the screen (kinda like Google) and see what's been said about your interests.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:28 AM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We have a previously enjoyed 2000 3255RL which we snapped up without asking any questions at all. Have never regretted it. The 3255RL fits our needs because we don't fulltime and don't plan to - may decide to spend a few months in the unit once in a while. The living area slide gives us enough extra space that we don't feel cooped up, and of course, the bedroom slide does the same. You already mentioned that you know the selection of a unit depends on your own needs, so if the 3255RL fits your needs and budge, go for it. We love ours.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
We have had very good luck with our 3255. We got a very good deal on it. It was at the dealers for about a year so we got a good discount on it. We thought about getting a 3400 and go full time but have nixed that. We decided to go only about 6 months or so a year, so we will probably keep the 3255. I am sure you will enjoy your unit. Good luck and happy camping. Jack & Janet
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:23 AM   #8
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Welcome to the forum!!! As with what everyone else said, if it fits buyu it! I too was new to towing a fifth wheel and got all my practice towing it. I'm getting pretty good at backing it up now, and absolutely love the Monty. We are fulltiming in the little town of Allyn Washington and love it! We have the 3280RL and it fits our life style just fine.
Again, welcome and enjoy the forum and use the knowledge of allm the fine peope here.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
First, welcome to the forum!

I cannot tell you anything about the 3255 specifically, but I would suppose you would have to take anyone’s comments about the layout, etc. with a grain of salt as anything along those lines is subjective. What do you like and does it fit your lifestyle? If not perfect, can you make it work? Additionally, is the price good enough for you to overlook some items that might not be exactly to your liking. Our 3295 is the perfect example of the last—I wanted a rear lounge and neither of us wanted one as long as ours, but the price was too good to pass up. Little did we realize that we would find that the 3295 suits us so well. My point is that when it comes to such items as this, you have to be the judge.

If you are referring to the quality, well, my advice would be to peruse this forum, using the search function. Owners are quite vocal about the strengths and weaknesses of our units, so I think you will find a good representation of the quality here. One point to remember, however, is that quality in the RV industry has never been stellar and this is complicated by towing your “home on wheels” down roads.

Good luck!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Our first Montana was an 02 3255RL, we enjoyed it and found it trouble-free after a few minor teething troubles were taken care of. It is a nice rear living layout, the 03 model should have doors separating the bathroom and bedroom, something Keystone has stopped providing in more recent models. Around that time there were some problems with some of the axles being supplied to Keystone, (and other builders), by Alko. Check for uneven tire wear, and possibly even check with Montana Customer service with the serial number to see if it may be a problem, and if anything has already been done to correct it. The original tires were probably Tacoma brand, if they have been changed, that may be an indication that there is (or was) a problem with the axles. (Take a look at the spare too). Our '02 did not have this problem, so possibly others can provide more first-hand information.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:03 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Welcome to the MOC. I can only say if you find a Montana that fits your likes and wants, go for it. Any of the Montana's would be a good purchase in my opinion...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Hey, if it looks good, feels good and the price is right just do it. Like Glenn and Lorraine said, find a big parking lot and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck and God Bless

WELCOME ABOARD
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I want to thank all of you for responding, it really helps to see the steps others have taken.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote