Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Sanitizing water tank.

On other forums we were talking about how most of us use bottled water while on the road and we even use bottled water for all our cooking and coffee making so I have neglected to disinfect my water tank at the beginning of every season.

Being that we brush our teeth and shower with water from our tank I think it is a good idea to kill the bugs in this tank every now and then because we do fill up with water from many different places and you never know what type of water you are getting.

Now, what is the correct amount of bleach to use for the 60 gal tanks in our Montanas? Thanks, Don

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

On other forums we were talking about how most of us use bottled water while on the road and we even use bottled water for all our cooking and coffee making so I have neglected to disinfect my water tank at the beginning of every season.

Being that we brush our teeth and shower with water from our tank I think it is a good idea to kill the bugs in this tank every now and then because we do fill up with water from many different places and you never know what type of water you are getting.

Now, what is the correct amount of bleach to use for the 60 gal tanks in our Montanas? Thanks, Don
1/4 cup of bleach per 15gal of water.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I do mine each spring and once or twice during the camping season depending on how much time the RV has set without use. I can't remember the exact formula but its in your owners manual. My Montana is covered right and with the temp at 25 degrees I don't feel like going out and looking for the info. I can't wait until my daughter has the new baby and we are headed south!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We usually put a cup in so that is about right with 315RLS forumula. I figured this out years ago usually my Girl Scout forumla. We always did a tablespoon for a bucket of water. It doesn't hurt for it to be a little stronger to flush and if you are not drinking it, it can stay stronger but you may smell funny if you are using it to shower!
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:24 AM   #5
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

We usually put a cup in so that is about right with 315RLS forumula. I figured this out years ago usually my Girl Scout forumla. We always did a tablespoon for a bucket of water. It doesn't hurt for it to be a little stronger to flush and if you are not drinking it, it can stay stronger but you may smell funny if you are using it to shower!
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead I'd gotten the formula from the Montana documentation that came with ours.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:41 AM   #6
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
The following instructions were plagurized from RV Basics

Sanitizing Your RV Fresh Water System

Insuring clean, safe drinking water in your RV requires sanitizing your fresh water system. For a new or new-to-you RV you will want to sanitize before your first use of the system. You may also want to sanitize the system if your RV has not been used for some time, for example if it has been stored for the winter.

The usual procedure as outlined below involves filling the fresh water tank with a solution of household bleach and running the solution through each faucet. Then letting it stand for at least three hours. Finally, flush the system once or twice to remove the taste and smell.Here's the procedure.

* Turn the water heater off and let the water cool.
* Dilute 1/4 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity in a gallon of water.
* Add the chlorine solution to the water tank. Never pour straight bleach into the RV water tank.
* One faucet at a time, let the chlorinated water run through them for one or two minutes. You should be able to smell the chlorine. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
* Top off the water tank and let stand for at least three hours over night is better.
* Completely drain the system by flushing the faucets for several minutes each. Open all plumbing drains (if any) and the hot water tank drain plug and drain until the tank is empty.
* Close all valves and faucets and drain plugs.
* Fill water tank with fresh water.
* Flush each faucet for several minutes each repeating until the tank is again empty. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
* Fill the tank again. The water should now be safe to drink but if the chlorine odor is too strong you can repeat the fresh water flush. To lessen the chlorine smell you can disolve 1/2 cup (per 15 gallon water capacity) in a few gallons of water, and run it through the system as per the bleach instructions.

Your fresh water system should now be safe for use.

An alternative method would be to use Chlorinating Concentrate (Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetricone or Sodium Dichlor for short). Sodium Dichlor contains 62% available chlorine. Compare that to household bleach which has something close to 3%. One pound of Sodium Dichlor is equal to 8 gallons of bleach. Also, household bleach contains other stuff, including a lot of salt, and that other stuff is what causes the bad taste and why you have to flush the tank.

It takes only 1 teaspoon of the concentrate per 100 gallons of water to initially sanitize the system. Remember to run water through all the faucets. After that, just a half teaspoon per 100 gallons with each refill will keep the tank fresh.

This is not a case where more is better. This stuff is concentrated and it's best to use what is recommended.

Because Chlorinating Concentrate is so highly concentrated you only need to carry a small container. And it is dry crystals so there is less chance of a spill. However, because it is so concentrated it is highly corrosive so you do have to be careful how you store it and use it.You should be able to find Chlorinating Concentrate at any pool supplies or spa store.
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

I do mine each spring and once or twice during the camping season depending on how much time the RV has set without use. I can't remember the exact formula but its in your owners manual. My Montana is covered right and with the temp at 25 degrees I don't feel like going out and looking for the info. I can't wait until my daughter has the new baby and we are headed south!
Steve and Betty, congratulations on the coming grandchild! Be sure to email and let us know when it arrives. Meanwhile, we, too, recently found out we're going to have another grandchild, this one in early August!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Congrats on the new soon to be grandkids. Gee, Steve, does tht mean you are going to be in Kansas in August? Ugh. I'm way ahead of you guys, my second granddaughter is getting married Feb. 4 so I could be (I hope not though, she needs to finish college) a great-grandma.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote