Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #41
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jsrang, don't hesitate to ask questions, either here or email me or others.

Is Deluo the brand of the gps puck? That's different than mine so I wonder if MS has changed suppliers. I forgot the brand of mine but it's on the tip of my tongue and I don't want to walk over and open the case for the truck's laptop to find out. But it's not deluo.

There are some tricks to make S&T quick and easy to use. Don't hesitate to post problem or time consuming areas and we'll try to help you out.

Avoid area. Draw a rectangle, rightclick on it, choose Avoid Area. That makes it not route through that rectangle. Great for avoiding areas it wants to route you through that you don't want to go through.

Preferred routes. That can change your route considerably, like avoiding toll roads or interstates, etc.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #42
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Steve,
Yes, Deluo is the name of the GPS distributor. They package it along with 2006 Streets & Trips. I "googled" MS Streets & Trips and the "deluoelectronics.com" website was one of the options available. I just checked the site and they have a special discount rate of $80 (Vs $89) for the combination (plus shipping & tax), since the GPS puck is on backorder (to ship in 3 days). When I checked Target and other Discounts, the best rate was $120 here in FL.

Thanks for the helpful hints. They will come in handy. I find the best way is to get into the software and work it, but there are always tricks and tips that others have discovered that really helps. We will be heading to Michigan from Florida on Monday, so that will be our first big test. Did some other short run tests, here in Florida to get somewhat accustomed to the software.

I did notice that some maps are really outdated, such as Jacksonville Fl, where 95 does not show completed through the downtown section, which I believe has been done for several years. (Although I planned to take the bypass around anyway). Have you found this to be much of a problem and does MS S&T offer download updates? Thanks again for the input.
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:10 AM   #43
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I now have a garmin 2720 with voice prompt and absolutly love it. I have the delorme also but it was not as portable without having 2 different laptop stands so i bought the garmin. The only thing i disliked about delorme is the volume was not loud enough.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #44
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
While on a trip to Minn from Chicago this past 4th we rented an SUV that had the Magellan nav system. I found it very easy to program and use. The voice commands are great, and give alot of notice so one can move to the correct lane. I liked the size of the unit, was mounted to the dash and the screen was large enough to see. I do not want to have my laptop out while driving, too much distraction for me, especially since I do not have a navigator. Was very impressed w/ the Magellan, thinking of purchasing one for myself.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #45
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave,
It might be cheaper to get a navigator! LOL
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #46
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jsrang, thanks for the info. I use S&T 2006 and the GPS that came with it but had the impression it was some other brand. Can't remember what brand, now. Obviously I am wrong about that. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #47
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
LOL!!! The funny part about that is your timing. Had a possible navigator cross my path this very evening. Such an amazing gal, and the crazy part is she does drive a diesel dually truck. Today she was towing a 34' horse trailer and we struck up a very nice conversation. So far there is only 1 problem, that da_ _ truck was a Dodge!! LOL...
Old 07-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #48
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Oh, Oh stay away from those Dodge gals!LOL Of course you could always convert her.
Happy trails..........................
Old 07-14-2006, 07:09 AM   #49
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
Don't you worry, when we walked out to the parking lot and I saw that, all heck broke free. She laughed and said she would rather have the GMC Duramax, but her dad is a Dodge guy. There is hope.................
Old 07-14-2006, 08:25 AM   #50
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So this could be a mixed marriage???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #51
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Not to hijack this thread, but Dave the only way this "mixed marriage" would even come to light is if it was her in a GMC Duramax and my Chevy Duramax. LOL!!! Sure would not have that "other" truck sittin in my garage. =) But I must say before we start putting the horse infront of the buggy, I just met this gal yesterday. Crazy part is, she has really sparked my interest, even if she does drive a Dodge. I guess the higher hands are going to have control, and if things are meant to proceed, proceed they will. If not, I had a very nice chat w/ an interesting gal who I have alot in commom with.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #52
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Did you get her number? Have you called her? Don't wait - do something!
Happy trails........................
Old 07-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #53
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Geeze, Mom.......
Old 07-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #54
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
No Dave S you can't call me Mom (age) (LOL) but Dave (MS) can, he is the right age in fact not much younger than my youngest who he met when we were in Spokane. I'm anxious for Dave (MS) to find his soul mate like the rest of us have. That will make his life so much more fun!
Happy trails.....................
Old 07-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #55
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Whatsamatter Dave, afraid you might find you really like something else???? (That refers to truck brands, not the young lovely -- and good luck with that, by the way.)

Jim, I find occasional lapses in the maps. Same in Street Atlas. But it's rarely a problem.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:35 AM   #56
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Christa and I - Use to just drop off the Interstate and pull into the friendly Quick Shop or Easy Shop for directions. Then it seemed like the LANGUAGE CHANGED the Clerks had thrown their baseball cap's away and replaced them with some kind of WRAPPED TOWEL.. and as I am getting older, maybe I just didn't hear them right,,,,,Couldn't understand a word the clerks were saying and all the waving of arms and hands just confused me more. (tongue in cheek) So as the LANGUAGE BARRIER increase (I think "Garmin" "Microsoft" and "Delorme's" had a lot to do with this, to increase sales). I had to go to the bank before the Language thing changed there... I got ahold of a bank person that still spoke ENGLISH, I asked if he still had and dealt with US Dollars, He said yes. I removed all the money that was GREEN and had US PRESIDENTS picture's and we bought a Garmin 340C and a back up 2006 Delorme's.. The way things are progressing I am hoping that the Rio GRande Valley Park we stay in this spring offers SIGN LANGUAGE and SPANISH CLASSES. I intend to enroll in both. Ok that is it for me.
SAFE TRAVELS EVERYONE - John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #57
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Se Se John
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #58
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

No Dave S you can't call me Mom (age) (LOL) but Dave (MS) can, he is the right age in fact not much younger than my youngest who he met when we were in Spokane. I'm anxious for Dave (MS) to find his soul mate like the rest of us have. That will make his life so much more fun!
You're right, Sue... Your more like my sister who admonishes me constantly (imagine that!). However, that insinuates that we're related, which could be equally offensive to many...

I am looking seriously at Street Atlas - strictly because I have have years of experience with the Mac version (not the GPS). I would not need to go through another learning curve..
Old 07-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #59
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dave S
Sister I will take since I have no living siblings. That settled when will you be here to help me get rid of all the stuff at my Mother's home. LOL
I like Street Atlas, it has taken a bit of a learning curve (and Steve R helped a lot). I learn something new everytime we use it. But I'm really getting the hang of it. Ed likes the GPS log that it creates each day. Great information.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #60
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
If we were closer, I would, Sue. Have lots of experience, unfortunately, with that. I sure don't envy you. I have found that being a "long distance brother" gets you out of a lot of work.

When Cheryl's parents both passed away five weeks apart, Cheryl was the only sibling of the four that lived near her parents. Consequently, guess who did all the work... Her one brother and her sister, offered support and gave her carte blache to do what she had to do. Her oldest brother (in Kentucky) however, did feel he had to micro-manage the affairs, as he was the eldest sibling - from a distance, along with criticizing most of her decisions. Didn't go over well. He is a good guy, just handled it wrong. I am still working to heal those wounds after six years. Not an easy situation.

Now he has been diagnosed with cancer and Cheryl, obviously is torn by this. She knows she needs to work to overcome this bitterness - it just very hard and I know there are several here that can relate.

While I have a lot of experience with Street Atlas, I have zero with GPS. I will have to go through the learning curve there...