Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #1
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
WARNING 08 Big Sky Owners/Shower Door

My first question is who else had the shower door shatter all over the place and cut their hand when they went to open it. I thought I remembered it was William Collier but I pulled up all his notes and did not find a posting related to this subject. I read where someone was on a trip and their new Big Sky shower door broke all over the bedroom and their hand was cut.

Well that is what happened to us. We are sitting here in Illinois at my brother's farm and John came out to take a shower last evening and went to pull the shower door open and it just shattered into a million pieces all over the place cutting his hand in the process. Once we got his bleeding stopped and I cleaned up the blood all over the camper, we started cleaning up the glass. Well actually we had to clean up some of the glass before I could get to the blood. It took a good 2 hours. Blood on the bedsdpread, carpet, bathmat, towels. John had to break the remaining glass out of the door that was just hanging there. He finally took the rubber stripping out all around the door. Then we swept up glass with the broom and then the vacuum. What a mess..........I don't wish this on anyone.

I don't know if the shower door is new to this Big Sky. We had noticed it was sticking and I reminded John that the door had broken on someone else. John thought he had found the answer to the problem by pushing the rubber insert up on the shower door edge everytime it stuck. It seems to work its way down as we are pulling it down the road and he would just make sure it was back in place. There must be a real problem with this door.

So now we are sitting here with a beach towel for a shower curtain so we can take a shower and a call in to Mike Spencer. And John will live, his hand is a little sore, but someone is going to get hurt much worse and then Keystone is going to have some real liability on their hands.

If you remember who else this happened to, please let me know.

kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Yes it was me, and it happened in the same manner. The door was stuck at the bottom and when I pulled on the handle it just shattered. I was very suprised that it shattered the way it did, I didnt think they were supposed to do that. Most of my cuts have healed, a couple of them were pretty deep. I did manage to confine the blood to the shower and a towel with a few drips in the kitchen headed for the sink.

Our Big Sky is at the dealer waiting for our (2nd) shower enclosure to come in, the first one was 3 inches to short. I took it in last week after the dealer said the new door had come in and it was at that time we found out it was to short. There seems to be a little confusion as to what enclosure is being installed in the Big Sky, Keystone told the dealer that they did not have the door that was 3 inches taller and according to the guy that talked to Keystone that particular enclosure was never installed in the Big Sky and it would have to be orderd from the manufacture. Maybe they had a problem and have now changed the size of the enclosure but that will not help us as we have to have the taller one because of the existing holes made to install the taller one.

We are waiting to hear from the dealer when the new one comes in.

Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I hit out shower door and it broke into several thousand pieces also. I replaced it with a piece of plexglass I found at a glass shop. It is frosted like the oem door and you can't tell it was changed.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Our shower door ('03 3655FL) shattered a few months ago. Broke into a thousand tiny pieces, just like it is supposed to if it breaks, I suspect. No cuts, no blood, just 30 min of picking up and vacuuming. DW was closing door in prep for tow out.

It was a blessing, sort of. We hated that door because it severly restricted movement in/out/around the bath/bedroom when it was open. Removed the entire shower door frame and placed a tension bar at the top of the door space. DW found a shower curtain matching our bedroom decor. We like it much better than than the door. No intention of getting the door/door glass replaced.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
As soon as we took possession of our Big Sky (and after talking with Karen about their shower door) we took a close look and realized with the towel rack positioned on the door the way it was, it was an accident waiting to happen because it was a natural instinct to grab the towel rack to open and close the door rather than the edge of the door handle. Being a stained glass artist and having worked with glass I felt the way this glass was textured would be fairly brittle anyway and the twist put on it by using the towel rack as a handle or support would obviously shatter the glass if it wasn't tempered glass. And, with the texture I make an assumption it is NOT tempered glass (as shown with your breakage). (I even gently tried it and you could see the glass flex badly). So, we removed the towel rack and filled in the holes with silicone sealant. So far so good. Apparently the people whose glass broke into tiny pieces have tempered shower doors, which is what they should be, IMHO. SueC
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Are all showers made with this glass that can break? When we open ours (no, I do NOT use the towel rack), it sometimes hits the sink. I wait for the pieces to drop.
I wonder how parents who travel with small kids are handling this problem?
Between the steps and now the shower, I like this unit less and less.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I recently transported a Carriage to MN. Got to look inside at the dealer. Shower door was a curved two peice unit that came together in the middle. It worked with ease. Shower wall and base were one unit and comes in colors. You could exit left side or right side with no door to get in anyones way. What a nice setup, no sticking doors. I asked the dealer about the shower unit. Said it was the best that is out on the market. He has othe trailer models with the one piece flat door style and said he always has owners complaining about them.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote