Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On a couple of occasions I myself have pulled a 5th wheel to a campground for rv'ing friends who needed the pull. On both occasions I was way over but the Ford did indeed "pull it fine" That is not the point. The point is we were way over spec's which means over the design capabilities established by the manufacturer. That is the point. IMO we all need to know where we are in terms of weight. Now what you do with that information can effect others on the road. It is not that big a deal to stay within manufacturers spec's.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #42
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have read about an occassion, but don't remember the details. Words such as, the driver was suspected of towing overweight, there was some impounding and some investigation and then the story went on about the driver's neglect and liability whether he knew he was over or not. I never read about the end result nor cared to.

I have read many more stories about tire or suspension problems, then the owner's discovering they were overweight and wondering if this had anything to do with it. On the other hand, some of us within weight have had problems, too, including me. I just like to stay in compliance since I believe why push it and I don't need to add an unnecessary root cause. I'm sure the tow vehicle manufacturers pad their numbers and we must remember it's not necessarily the engine and transmission that are the determining factors. After all, the same diesel engine and transmissions are used in several models of truck with vastly different ratings with the differences being other components including length of the truck bed and size of cab. We must also keep in mind a gas engine will have lesser numbers but this doesn't mean a diesel is limitless.

Even I have knowingly towed when I was overweight. I towed my rig when all tanks were full to a dump station some distance away, and as I recall I drove about 20 mph at the fastest. The ratings try to cover all conditions when towing or loaded including speed, turning, bumps in the road, stopping and the ratings are provided because they think their design will support all conditions. So sure it will pull fine, until you get to a washboard road or very windy or need to stop because some cow just hopped into the road as you were speeding down that highway because the tow was just fine. Sure this can happen when in compliance but maybe you'll take out one less cow.

You just gotta know your limits. If you exceed them you also gotta know that your liability increases. It is the driver's choice after you pursue the knowledge where you stand. And for those drivers who have chosen to stay within them they are kiddingly called weight police. Does this mean that those who have chosen to stay outside the limits are weight criminals? I prefer to think it's pretty black and white to me. You are either in the white and compliant, or black and not compliant. The black is only negative if there is a mishap and it involves someone else (like the farmer's cows you just ran over cuz you couldn't stop as quick). What you do when you are by yourself when something happens, well everyone hopes you come out okay, but you'll be paying for this yourself and maybe not with the help of your insurance if they find out.

I think this topic is pretty much done. The OP asked if his rig was overweight and it was easily answered that he was overweight by several hundred pounds. Is it that big of deal? Who cares. The black and white of it is he is in the black. It will be his choice what to do next and I at least commend him for asking because we should all know our actual numbers measured against our ratings.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #43
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I guess the bottom line for me is concern for someone getting killed (or if one of the farmer's cows gets run over). Or that there is ever an "epidemic" of accidents that causes laws to be enacted that limits more of our freedoms. As far as shortening the life of an engine or truck suspension...I could care less. It really is all about safety because, otherwise, what difference does it make? Once again IMHO
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote