Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #21
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
2a I have the readout right by the controls for closeouts and lights. I also have a tester had posted on this site how to make so I can test the pedestal prior to hooking up.

GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #22
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAinaMontana View Post
So you prefer having the display inside as opposed to the outside. I'm sure that is best at 2AM but what about when you are setting up.
It doesn't matter if you are setting up and the remote shows low voltage, lost neutral or whatever as the ems is still protecting your rv. When i plug in i just go in the camper and look at the reading to see that pedestal is good. With remote in camper i can monitor the ems at all times if i like but usually look at it a couple of times a day.With your rv it is very easy to install inside and you don't have to go outside to check the readings. You will need about 2' of 6-4 wire and a junction box. I used the largest plastic junction box Home Depot has for my splice. I believe the box was either 4x4 or 5x5. Just remember with a hardwire you are also protected from a bad outside cord or extension cord where you are not with the portable units. The most important thing is to just have one or the other.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #23
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAinaMontana View Post
leemedic, I am fairly new to MOC and do not want to offend anyone who takes the time to answer a question but after visiting the Hughs Autoformer Web site I was put off by the inaccuracy and total lack of proof reading. I don't think I would be comfortable buying anything from that company. I hope that your ems serves you well and that I am completely wrong. Again, thank you for taking your time to respond.
The Hughes Autoformer is an excellent EMS, we will never be with out it. It conditions shore power to be in usable range (cuts out high surges, boost low power) that saves elec.equip from running on low power... That said, it also drops protection if shore power gets lower than 105 amp(or somewhere around) and passes it on to coach.... That is where the Progressive Ind.Surge Guard will cut power to the coach, which protects all elec. components of the rig. ADVANTAGES - Hughes is a transformer which boosts low power to prevent brown outs... Surge Guard kills too low power to totally protect coach.... Surge Guard will not condition or strengthen power, only cut it off if too great or too little... Our double system has saved our RV twice to date... well worth the investments... PS - they are both installed in storage compartment, but with male/female ends on all lines (female on shore, male & female on Hughes, male and female on Progressive SP, male on coach to service panel) so when tragedy strikes to disable one unit, male/female ends make it easy to plug and continue without one or both units until one or both units are replaced/repaired.... Finale, Progressive has lifetime warantee, Hughes have field repairable parts. I highly recommend what we have in our Mountaineer.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #24
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
2B … I hardwired the HW50C near the converter and put the display inside close to the street side cargo door. That way I can see what's going on (if anything) with the campground pedestal right there while hooking up the power cord. And … no worries about sticky fingers owning my property.

Frank/Marilyn … I have had both a 30 amp Autoformer and now a 50 amp Autoformer with no issue from the company. I sent the 30 amp back once for repair as it took a surge and was toast. Easy return procedure. I also returned my 50 amp as the indicator lights quit working … again easy return procedure. They replaced the contactors at no extra charge other than shipping and fixing the indicator lights. There are some who feel I'm cheating others at a campground, but it sure is nice to have the A/C humming along normally on a hot day while the park voltage drops to say 105VAC.

Exactly! . . . the beauty of Hughes Autoformer!... NO Cheating, it boosts the energy there, as low as it may be, to provide 115-120 amps of clean energy.
. . . . AND your RV or coach does not burn out electronic equip on brown energy!
. . . . Thanks for your comment BEEJE.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #25
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS3950 View Post
2a I have the readout right by the controls for closeouts and lights. I also have a tester had posted on this site how to make so I can test the pedestal prior to hooking up.
GLS3950 - I wanted to see what you posted on the pedestal tester... I have been through 8 pages (all that were available) and found none that mentioned that tester.... I have one from a 30amp to 110 reduced, and plug in a fault tester for a 110amp line.... works great, but I trust my Hughes Autoformer to test and display line condition for me... What did you make to test a 50amp pedestal? Thanks, have a great day, happy camping!
Old 08-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #26
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
Update. When I started this thread I was working under the impression that the Surge Guard that died on me after two years was out of warranty. When I purchased it came with a one year warranty but since they were bought by Southwire they are sold with a Limited Lifetime warranty. I called Steve at their Clearwater office and he said they would extend the new warrenty to my unit. He should have my old unit tomorrow. We will see if I actually get a new Surge Guard.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #27
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
richfaa, I am glad you felt you did not need it anymore and sold it to me. Many times i have been hooked up to 50amp service and see the autoformer is boosting one of the phases. I feel you need both. If the autoformer can not boost the voltage high enough then the EMS will shout the power down.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote