Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
storm door

We took down our screen and took out screen, only 6 screws. Took door to afriends glass shop and had plexiglass cut to fit. Used tiny clear plastic mirror brackets to hold up weight from bottom of each panel, and applied glass sealer that glass shop provided to attach and seal plexi. Ordered slide and center panel from Rt.66 catalogue. About $100.00 total investment. Love it!!!

Will send pictures as soon as DW (the computer whizz) has a moment as we have children and grands visiting.

HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We demand pictures!!!! This is a common mod, but it sounds like you have a new twist to it. My method is a little on the cheaper side, costs about $4.00. I go to the fabric department at Wal-Mart and purchase a couple of yards of vinyl from the rolls. Renove door from frame, lay flat and remove spline from screen, lay vinyl over screen and replace spline while smoothing the vinyl out to remove wrinkles. The last step after the spline is re-installed is to take a razor blade and trim the vinyl around the spline. Cheap and effective. Last time I was in Walmart they had added a smoke shaded version of the vinyl which I will be trying soon.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lsessoms

We took down our screen and took out screen, only 6 screws. Took door to afriends glass shop and had plexiglass cut to fit. Used tiny clear plastic mirror brackets to hold up weight from bottom of each panel, and applied glass sealer that glass shop provided to attach and seal plexi. Ordered slide and center panel from Rt.66 catalogue. About $100.00. Love it!!!
Sounds like a nice project,
Be nice of you to post some pictures of your handy work. Please.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have a SOB and it has a panel that can be remove for screen door use but when the panels are in place it is like a glass but its very easy to tear. I have a friend Dale F, use to own Trailair who has a wooden type screen door. Thinking about getting one made? Happy Trails.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I cut some plex-a-glass panels and installed them with standard white plastic clips on the outside and left the screen intact. Allows us to remove if the temp is nice and a breeze coming from that direction, but nice to have the outside door open for the additional light, yet keep most of the heat out if running the air or cold out if running the heater.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

We demand pictures!!!! This is a common mod, but it sounds like you have a new twist to it. My method is a little on the cheaper side, costs about $4.00. I go to the fabric department at Wal-Mart and purchase a couple of yards of vinyl from the rolls. Renove door from frame, lay flat and remove spline from screen, lay vinyl over screen and replace spline while smoothing the vinyl out to remove wrinkles. The last step after the spline is re-installed is to take a razor blade and trim the vinyl around the spline. Cheap and effective. Last time I was in Walmart they had added a smoke shaded version of the vinyl which I will be trying soon.
Bingo
DW says she doesn't understand process to send photos, please advise. And remember I'm just a wrecker driver......loooooow tech. I understand,legal pads, hard copies, filing cabinets, pencils and erasers......never thought they and I would become obsolete.LOL
Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:

Quote:

Bingo

DW says she doesn't understand process to send photos, please advise. And remember I'm just a wrecker driver......loooooow tech. I understand,legal pads, hard copies, filing cabinets, pencils and erasers......never thought they and I would become obsolete.LOL
What-no carbon paper!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I just put plexiglass on our screen door. I cut the pieces to fit and ran a strip of Velcro around the pieces. They stick to the door nice and tight and it's a clean looking install. I can pull the plexiglass off easily if we want the air.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

I just put plexiglass on our screen door. I cut the pieces to fit and ran a strip of Velcro around the pieces. They stick to the door nice and tight and it's a clean looking install. I can pull the plexiglass off easily if we want the air.
We never used the screen , so we did away with it completely.

we love it
, so much more view and light, seals nice , A/C works great. You being from N.C. know about humidity.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Larry,
There is a tutorial on the home page showing how to post pictures on the forum. It is a very easy process. I use photobucket.com as the host site (registration is free) to upload the pictures. Once the digital pictures are in photobucket, you simply copy the IMG code to the forum and presto, the picture appears (you can preview your post to make sure it is correct) in the post itself. The IMG code on photobucket is displayed in the lowest box beneath the picture. Try it and if you have any questions give a shout.
Bingo
Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Larry,
I agree about the humidity but we occasionally are in a place where the nice cool breeze is welcome, then the plexiglass can come off.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
So, you do this to let light in when the temps are low? I never even considered it.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have plexi panels on ours and can run air with door open to about 85 or 90 and up. After about 87 door closed, shades all drawn and pillows in the vents.

For heating season, we can stand it unless there is a STRONG breeze and usually around 40ish or so we close the door.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I never did use the screen so I replaced mine with 1/8 dark broze in 07 and love it. to get a breeze open some windows and set fantastic fan. I like to set and look out the door when its warm or cool besides it is hard to see in with it dark.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:

We took down our screen and took out screen, only 6 screws. Took door to afriends glass shop and had plexiglass cut to fit. Used tiny clear plastic mirror brackets to hold up weight from bottom of each panel, and applied glass sealer that glass shop provided to attach and seal plexi. Ordered slide and center panel from Rt.66 catalogue. About $100.00 total investment. Love it!!!

Will send pictures as soon as DW (the computer whizz) has a moment as we have children and grands visiting.
[IMGhttp://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i382/lsessoms/StormDoor003.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGhttp://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i382/lsessoms/StormDoor002.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGhttp://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i382/lsessoms/StormDoor001.jpg[/IMG] You pictures are too large. Please resize them to comply with MOC picture policy. Thank you. RVWheels , MOC Admin.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:

Larry,
There is a tutorial on the home page showing how to post pictures on the forum. It is a very easy process. I use photobucket.com as the host site (registration is free) to upload the pictures. Once the digital pictures are in photobucket, you simply copy the IMG code to the forum and presto, the picture appears (you can preview your post to make sure it is correct) in the post itself. The IMG code on photobucket is displayed in the lowest box beneath the picture. Try it and if you have any questions give a shout.
Bingo
Photos now attached.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Looks good!! Told ya the pic posting would be easy to learn. Now you can post pictures galore!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Really nice Larry.....sharp lookin'! D
Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We did this about 5 years ago and love it. Our plexiglass panels are removable and easily reinstalled if weather dictates. We store them under the couch until needed.

One thing we learned, install the plexiglass on the INSIDE of your screendoor if you'll be using any type of brackets to hold it in place.

Reason being is because most people "help" their outside door shut by pushing on it with their hands just to make sure it is shut. After doing this for some time, you'll notice those brackets holding the plexiglass panels on making holes in your outside door.

Lesson learned for us.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #20
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
We did not replace the screening with plastic laminate but I was always annoyed that the screen door rubbed on the bottom threshhold. To me, the door design is wrong. Instead of pushing down on the lever to open the door, one should be lifting up on a lever to open it as the door's weight will "push down" by itself on the non-hinged side causing the door to sag a little on that side and rub on the threshhold.

I finally had enough and screwed a thin straight piece of aluminum, about 1 1/2" wide (and around 30" long) from the middle hinge to the lower outside part of the door frame. Besides strengthening the structure of the door, it keeps it from sagging and rubbing on the threshhold. I added this piece earlier this year and after several trips of use, the door has not rubbed once on the bottom. It really works great.

Your picture is too large per the MOC guidelines Clicky. Please reduce it before re-posting = CRAFT-Guy

http://i54.tinypic.com/28i1ch2.jpg