Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2023, 12:11 PM   #1
Johndavis

M.O.C. #32820
Black tank dissolving

Hi all…..new 2022 3931 owner. What is strongest black tank dissolver? Currently using Aquamax (two pods) and “septic safe” tp, but turds and tp not disolving very much. What is strongest black tank dissolver available? Thx

Johndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 01:45 PM   #2
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
As far as helping to dissolve, I can’t help you. We don’t flush “tp”. It sticks to the sensors and tank monitors.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 01:46 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The short time solids remain in the black tank means there is not going to be much microbiological decomposition. Main thing is to use plenty of water to flush all those solids out when you drain. If the water doesn’t come gushing out with force when you pull the handle then you need to be using more water.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 02:11 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The key is Little paper, lots of water. That’s all you need.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 02:31 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We prefer Unique, it produce a chocolate colored flow with no papers or solids, and our second choice is Happy Camper.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 02:48 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I'm not going to repeat it all. Check out this thread: Click here.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 03:13 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Start with 5-8 gallons of water in the tank before using.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 06:59 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Another tank additive that we use is TankTechsRx, and it is also an active biological tank treatment. Depending on where you live, Amazon will not ship Happy Camper to some locations. They will deliver Unique RV Digest-It and TankTechsRx
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:42 PM   #9
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Only dump the tanks when they are 1/2 full or more. The more water the better.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 04:36 AM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
All the advice above is good advice.
I would add that the Unique Tank Cleaner has worked well for me. I also use their tank treatment. Toilet paper turns to a gel/sludge and is completely dissolved in a couple of days.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BP8698N4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:19 AM   #11
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
X3 on Unique. It's made a believer out of us. Cheaper by the gallon and lasts a long time
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 07:22 AM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
OK, here I go again. In order to get around the toilet paper problem, install a Bidet in your camper. No more toilet paper ever. No more problems with the black tank. And the "bottom" always feels fresh and clean!

I know, a lot of people are skeptical of these. But it IS the solution for toilet paper! Don't knock till you've tried it!
Old 06-15-2023, 08:08 AM   #13
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
OK, here I go again. In order to get around the toilet paper problem, install a Bidet in your camper. No more toilet paper ever. No more problems with the black tank. And the "bottom" always feels fresh and clean!

I know, a lot of people are skeptical of these. But it IS the solution for toilet paper! Don't knock till you've tried it!

I don't get why you say no more paper??? Do you just wash off the butt and pull up your pants wet???? You must have to dry somehow.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 09:57 AM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I don't get why you say no more paper??? Do you just wash off the butt and pull up your pants wet???? You must have to dry somehow.
We have color coded wash cloths specifically for this purpose of drying. It's the only thing we use them for. It's no different than drying the bottom with a bath towel. IF ... and yes ... sometimes this does happen ... they get streaked, they go in the wash, usually washed with the underware pile. We have about 15, same color, washcloths we use in the camper. With a washing machine and a dryer in the camper, it's really easy to maintain clean laundry all the time.

In the house, we have color coded for each bathroom too. I think we have about 20 wash clothes dedicated for each one. Our septic tank is much, much cleaner now since we started doing this months before Covid hit. It really was a great thing, especially during the toilet paper crisis, we didn't have to purchase a single roll of the stuff.

If you men don't like them, that's OK. I was extremely skeptical myself. When my wife started having (internal) problems, our doctor recommended a Bidet. I was still hesitent, but still went ahead and installed one in the house. I figured I'd never have to use it.

Well, she absolutely loved it. I did use it and it was a bit awkward at first, but over a short time, I started noticing my OWN benefits. And in a short while, I was OK and actually like it better now.

If you men, don't want to use it, that's OK. I absolutely do understand. BUT .... your wifes will absolutely love it! They work "both ways" for them. I haven't met a women yet that didn't like Bidets. I'm a bit crude... I ask. I got over embarrassment a long, long time ago.

Now, just imagine how much easier it would be if your wives never put TP down the black tank? How much TP would you save? How much $$$ would you save on TP? How much easier it would be to dump the black tank and NOT have to go through gallons and gallons and gallons of water to flush all that stuff out. And think how much HAPPIER she will be!

In all ways, even if YOU never use it.... you come out the winner! She will love you for it.... really!
Old 06-15-2023, 01:10 PM   #15
JamesDean334
Established Member

M.O.C. #32532
My brother has bidets installed in his home. He goes on and on about how great they are, and he says his wife thinks they're just the bee's knees also. He continued to insinuate how crude and unrefined we were for not having the same luxuries installed in our home. He successfully piqued my interest in at least exploring the possibility. After discussing with my wife, at some length, the potential benefits of installing a couple or three of them things, we determined that being on the receiving end of a jet of cold water to the back-side, where it's drawed up like a 'baccer-sack, was not very high on our list of luxury experiences that we've been missing out on. I did try, unsuccessfully, to use one once while in Europe, from whence all manner of refinement is dispersed to the rubes of other less civilized societies. I'm not sure if it was my own inexperience with such a luxurious amenity, or if the sights weren't properly adjusted for the windage. Whichever was the case, I took a direct hit to the jewels from a cold-water cannon, seemingly sufficient to remove love bug guts from the front of a Montana. It was after assessing the perceived damages and determining that I had indeed NOT been the recipient of the world's first water-cannon emasculation service, that I determined that a bidet was better left to those of superior refinement. My brother still carries on about his like he oughta have a velvet rope around his toilet now, and he's still my brother, so to each their own but, I'm a hard pass myself. I'll continue to use the extra water necessary to do a couple flushes of the ol'black tank.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:28 AM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Have a bidet in camper and at home. I used to make fun of those that had them TP shortage made a believer. I use TP to dry. I use way less TP. If you are going to use plenty of water, you might as well get double duty out of it.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:00 AM   #17
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Great post JamesDean! You should be a writer! My wife and I laughed so hard. We have bidet’s at home and are looking into one for the Montana.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:14 AM   #18
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
JamesDean334, your encounter made me smile and grin from ear to ear! I hear what you are saying. I completely understand.

To get around the "cold" they do make them with heaters, and built in blow driers, if you don't mind doing a little extra electrical work and plumbing.

From what I understand, those are REALLY the cats meow! Actually, we don't mind the cold "shock" any more. I'm too cheap to get the electric heated ones.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:26 AM   #19
JamesDean334
Established Member

M.O.C. #32532
I think that the root of our apprehension about bidets is directly related to an earlier life experience, or rather our witnessing of the experience. My father-in-law enjoyed an all-u-can eat salad bar, at his wife's 60-year class reunion, a little (likely, a lot) more than he should have. His overindulgence led to something of an uncontrollable "move" on the 30-minute ride home afterward. Miss Betty, the driver of the rather new and always immaculate Lincoln Town Car, abruptly asked Don, "What the h**l is that smell!? Do you smell that?" Don answered, "Well Betty, I've s**t in my britches!" She then asked, "In my car!?" Don replied, "Well you didn't see me jump out did ya?" She inquired of Don, "Why'd you do THAT!?" He replied, "If you hadn't stopped to hug all them old folk's necks, we'd done been home by now and I wouldn't have s**t in my britches, in your car!" Clearly Don laid the responsibility for this travesty at Miss Betty's feet. Clever Don. Clever indeed. There was no further conversation necessary for the remainder of the ride home.
Upon arrival, however, Miss Betty had a few more words. After parking the aforementioned Lincoln and immediately upon their exit from the vehicle, Don made a dash for the door. Well, Miss Betty put the brakes on that... "Get your nasty a** out here and drop them britches! You ain't going in the house like THAT!" Well Don, after 50 years' experience, new just what to do next; he dropped them britches out by the water spicket that was strategically installed immediately outside their carport. Miss Betty proceeds to use the makeshift bidet that was screwed onto the end of the hose pipe to attempt to return Don's behind to a state that would permit his entrance into the house. After the high-pressure application of several gallons of cold, deep-well, water to Don's 'nekkid' back-side Miss Betty deemed his arse to be in acceptable condition to enter the home. "Now, go get in the shower and put some soap on that a**", were the next instructions that Don promptly adhered to. Needless to say, they both learned their lessons: Betty was less free with her neck-hugging while away from home, and Don was less aggressive at any future all-u-can-eat salad bars.
This happened many years ago, before bidets were even a "thing" around these parts. Come to think of it, bidets still aren't a "thing" around the thriving metropolis of Jack, AL. That fact may be attributed to the experience that Don had at the end of Miss Betty's hose pipe mounted bidet. News travels fast around these parts.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:26 AM   #20
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Wow! Just Wow!!! This thread went down the crapper like a runaway train! DW and I haven't laughed so hard in weeks!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote