Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
brian ayerst
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8155
dangerous top step

We are experiencing problems with the top step departing the kitchen to the outside as guests do not realize the step is there and we have come close to having some bad accidents. Has anybody come up with a solution to make the step more visible. Thanks in advance for any input. Brian and Joanne

brian ayerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
That is a step which most people don't see. One of the first times I was in there it just about got me as well. I have seen people almost fall until we started warning them about it. However, if there was some kind of step light I think that might help. I think the only way to warn people is to just tell them about it. That is what we do.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I suppose that is the one inside the door? My DW fell out the door twice before she figured out it was there. Just a couple months ago, a friend almost ripped the screen door off when he tried to keep himself from falling. I had to do a lot of adjusting before the screen would even close. I don't really see anything to do except get used to it. Thankfully, DW is a few years younger than me!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We've had the same problem and I've nearly fallen a couple of times. I'm trying to come up with something as well to let folks (and me) know it's there. I usually remember as I am grabbing for the couch!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
We agree, it is a problem for visitors and at times ourselves. We just try to remind ourselves and others. Being that we have short legs, we do like the shorter riser height of the steps getting in and out.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
My niece has a condition of the eyes which severely affects her depth perception, especially in strong light. I was going to add yellow non-skid tape to the steps to assist her in seeing the edges. For those with carpeted steps perhaps a spray can of yellow or orange blaze marker paint and some masking tape to mask the areas inward of the edges might do the same job.

The yellow tape is available at safety supply stores.
http://www.colebrothers.com/nonskid/

The blaze paint should be available at stores that supply products for land surveying or perhaps in a camping supply outlet.
http://www.benmeadows.com/search/Tre...aint+/+-59313/
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
The step inside the Montana's is one of the big reason's why my wife preferred the Mountaineer over the Montana.
The Mountaineer doesn't have that feature.
While looking at the new Montana's she triped twice going in & out.

Lambchop
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

On my sister's first venture into our Montana back in 2001, she didn't realize that there was a cut-out there and fell to the ground. It required extensive surgery and the placement of exterior rods on her arm for 3 months to repair the shattered bones. After another 3 months of physical therapy her arm/hand is back to about 90% of what it was before the accident and that is the best it will get.

While that cut-out is something we caution all our visitors about, I think we'd still have to caution them to use the assist handles when entering/exiting the rig just because of the height. I would love to see the cut-out area designed differently, even if it's just equipped with step lighting.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
This is the one thing I did not like on our 2955RL as a friend really fell not realizing the step was there. I really like the flat floor on the 3585SA. Really do not know of anything except maybe fitting a peice of board in it but then it would have to be removed before using the steps again.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I believe it was H.John Kohl who has installed some rope lighting in that area. I would guess that it gets your attention and would help you to remember that there is a step there! I think he even posted some pics. It looks really nice.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Link to illuminate the hole step inside the trailer
My picture shows two strips with nine LEDs each. I have since replaced them with two strips of three LEDs each and they do a nice job and remove the disco feeling.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
John, where did you draw the power for the light under the steps, I have always wanted to do that mod too.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I cheated. Since I did not have a "snake wire" I tapped off the basement light on the passenger side. I ran the wire up into the propane area and then through the wire loop to the steps. I loosened the tin belly skirt and ran the wire in there. Eventually I intend on mounting the switch on the wall with the rest of the switches. That will be a couple day project.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Can I tell you what happens when you miss a step and the cost. The step that you are talking about is called a suicide step and we have one and really like it. We then have three steps on the outside. A lot of people do not like that step. It's a matter of chose. I like john's light set up and when we get back down to TX,I am looking into putting in the lights. Good safety idea.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My 72 year old sister and her husband were visiting us back in April, some of you might remember by posting. As she was exiting she tripped on this step, fell the full height and fractured 5 ribs. We had to call EMS as she was afraid to move, she had had an abdominal aortic anuerysm repaired in Feb and thought she might had ruptured the repair, thankfully not, but as you may already know, there is not much to be done about broken ribs except pain meds. This was in Arizona and they had to make there way back to CA. She was in pain for about three months.

I agree something should be done as I have tripped going out several times. I think that area needs to be deeper than it is, but don't know if that is possible. I would think a door operated lighting system on either side of the step would be beneficial. I would like to explore this mod with an electrician. On our 3400, I think the power source could be from the closet where the W/D goes since we do not have a W/D. It seems a small micro switch could be installed so the screen door would activate it. Any suggestions?????????????????????????????

The other option would be that Keystone could install an electric extension to that area similar to the MH's. Just some random thoughts.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #16
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
In our 2003 Big Sky, Dianna and I both had painful falls. In the 2008, the cut out is no longer there. The floor is flat, but the riser height is taller. There are 4 steps instead of five. Even with the taller steps, we like the flat floor much better.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I ended up mounting a round puck light on each side of the step well,they light up that step well brightly.
The round puck light runs on two AAA batteries and to turn them on you just tap with your foot.
On my three steps I have a motion system that will light the edge of the three steps with blue neon as you approach,then turn off after 10 seconds of no activity.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
As one of the step fallies,

I got to tell you from personal experience....

The lighting idea is nice, but in my case it would not have made a difference.

I was in the trailer in the middle of a bright sunny afternoon.

I was not aware of this step as I had only been in the trailer for a few seconds. At the time I entered the trailer, I was consumed by the beauty of the trailer inside.....I simply reached out to shut the screen door.....

Then down I went, falling the whole length from the top inside step to the ground outside.

I fell because in my opinion this is not a "normal step"...Most RV's you do not go up a set of steps then get inside and go up again.

I think Montana should look into this design and see if there is a way to make future productions safer.

Now when I enter the trailer or should I say EXIT the trailer I am very slow and cautious, but only because I have the reminder from the pain I experienced when I fell that very first time.

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:02 AM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Seems there are currently no Mountaineers with the inside step. Our 2006 303RLD has the step. If I am reading the floor plans correctly, seems all the Montana line has the inner step. Again, Big Sky and Everest don't have the step. Wonder why? Seems many are the same floor plan, and I would think the same frame. Perhaps Keystone does not realize the hazard this step poses. I do like the idea of the lights in the stairway. I think on our unit it will be easy to pick up power from the flashlight charger wiring. Merely have to drop the belly, punch a hole through the floor and extend the wiring to the step area.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #20
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our Cambridge had the suicide step and yes on two different occasions I made the fall out of the 5er and of course I jumped up to see if anyone seen this. It is a poor design, even when inside using the W/D it was a problem. Our step had a light system inside and outside still the inside step was a problem. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote