Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
Traveling with the heat on

Can you, and should you tow with the heater going if the temps are at or below freezing and your unit is not winterized yet? I want to take the new Mountaineer 335rls up to Maine for Thanksgiving and am not sure about what is best to keep things from freezing up while towing.

Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:03 AM   #2
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Starchmill,

I have done it! But I believe that the answer to this is the same as the answer to, "Should I travel with the refrigerator running on propane?".

The safest way to travel, is not to travel at all! But we'd never get anywhere!

The next safest would be to travel with the propane tanks turned off!

But I believe that the small risk in traveling with the propane on is justified by having cold food, and if I choose, a warm trailer upon arrival. Others will say that it is not worth the risk. But most would agree that gas appiances should be turned off prior to refueling the tow vehicle.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:00 AM   #3
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Keep in mind that you should NEVER pull into a gas station with a open flame running in your trailer. I have seen pictures of several burned up trailers that ingited the fumes in a station, and burned the trailer to the ground.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:00 AM   #4
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
Well, I already travel with the fridge going, and take the necessary precautions when refueling, so I guess I'm wondering if there is any danger of harming the heating system if traveling with it running. The vents in my unit are all exposed even with the slides in.
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:51 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Starchmill, when we travel in subfreezing weather we set the thermostat at 45 (lowest setting) and leave the furnace turned on. We've never had a freezing problem while on the road and also have not noticed an inordinate use of propane from this procedure. You would want to make sure you have full propane tanks if you're that far north and check the regulator frequently and refill when one goes empty. We've not towed a lot with furnace running, probably not more than ten days but are satisfied with the results so far.

Keep in mind in trailers this big if you are using only propane for heat you can go through one of those 30lb tanks in as little as 3 days (from our experience). So, when parked we supplement with electric heat and also get a 100lb propane bottle from the park if they offer it and we'll be there long enough. The 30 pounder will go a week or more when using electric heat to supplement. We are currently connected to a 100 pounder we got on 10/20. It's about half full yet from what I can tell by the feel test. But we're not in much subfreezing weather yet, lows ranging from upper 20's to 50 and highs from upper 30's to sixties. And we're using electric heat, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:04 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I put risks into two catagories. The first is what I call a foolish risk. The other I call a calculated risk. In foolish risks, I find that all caution is thrown to the winds. In calculated risks, the threat and its negative possibilities is measured against the possible rewards, questions are asked, and precautions are taken. It sounds to me your quandary falls in the latter catagory. I would not purport to tell you what to do but I have confidence you will make a measured decision.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:34 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
You can do it if necessary, I have, but I only do it as a last resort if caught out in the cold. Keep in mind though, it is not that hard, or expensive to to put antifreeze in the plumbing, especially if Mountaineers come with same "Freezeguard winterizing system as Montanas. If you do go the antifreeze route, one unexpected problem you may encounter is that your freezer won't get as cold as it should, because the the refrigerator won't need to run much maintain its temperature.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:04 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Yes you can run with the heat on, but be very careful. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:04 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Stiles,
I truly enjoy your posts. I hope that one day our paths will cross.

To the other question: We have never had to travel with the furnace on - Sunny California you know but we do travel with the refrigerator running on propane - many thousands of miles and no problems.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:15 AM   #10
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
With all the TT's I have owned(3) at some point in time (winter) I have gone down the raod with the heat set to on. Temp usually set to 68. I have never had a problem. We have even gone down the road with the pilot for the hot water heater on and the hot water heater making hot water. We have done this on many a Friday night going to our son's out of town football games. After the game he would always ride with us instead of on the bus because we were either staying or heading some where other than home. He liked showering in the TT bathroom rather than waiting for 65 other players to get done. There are a lot of pros and cons on whether you should or not. Depending on what forum and who you talk to I am certain you are going to get a wide varity of answers. And, honestly after many many years of RVing I have not seen anyone have any other result than either a warmer coach or hot water when they arrived.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote