Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #21
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Parrothead, They work fine on the output side [ tv out ] of the sat receiver. The tv out doesn't have a dc voltage requirement for the antenna line. They don't work on the dish antenna input because of the dc voltage requirements of the dish antenna horn.

Skip

Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #22
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Personally, because I wanted to be able to utilize local cable, (or the antenna w/amplifier if the site had no cable,) and still have the ability to plug both DirecTV dish cables into the TiVo, I had to install my own dual-input plate on the side of the entertainment center slide, and pass the dish outputs directly to the TiVo's inputs.

If I want to, I could use an A/B switch to feed the bedroom TV with the TiVo's output. But we just don't want to, so far.

As it is, I can use both TVs just as I could before ever buying satellite service. And if I want to sell this rig, the next purchaser won't have to use the separate satellite feeds if he doesn't wish to, or undo some wiring that makes them forever seem to be bound together.

I’d love to have a one-button dome on the roof for the times, (which have been the majority,) we’re camped with the Monty’s roof having a clean shot of the southern sky. But knowing that we’ve camped in many a spot that just didn’t have that clean shot, and where none were open, I’d have to carry the tripod around, anyway. That’d defeat the main reason I want the dome…Not having to set the tripod and dish on the bed as we travel. (I’m sure it’d get beaten up in the bed of the truck, strapped to the ladder, or in any other place that we happen to have open enough to carry it…Places we just don’t happen to have!) Plus, I don’t want a single piece of coax slung in the open, or requiring “Wiremold” to cover it up as it translates from one surface to another, in order to reach the entertainment center.

To each their own.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #23
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
This might work. There is a simplified schematic about halfway down the page. They are diplexers.

http://www.smarthome.com/7815.html

Skip
Old 07-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #24
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Skip!

Wow! I've seen those diplexers on some dishes. Heard that there were such things. But had major problem trying to discuss them with the folks at the local Circuit City.

Those doo-dads on that site seem to be just what the house needs to be totally compliant with ALL inputs.

Thanks!
Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #25
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Look around for them. I found some that are cheaper. It seems you need 2 of them, one to mix the signals and one for the input of each receiver to sort the signals. May also need a multiplexer. I'm still researching it, a lot to learn about them.

Skip
Old 07-03-2006, 03:17 AM   #26
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
I'm with Richfaa, one touch Dome Sat TV convenience, and also, depends on your campsite style and locale. We had the movin view installed last august on our 3400 when we started out fulltime and carried a portable directv dish around in the tool box for 10 months. Have never used it or needed to set it up. Finally got rid of it a few weeks ago. Only had one occasion of trees blocking the signal in Arkansas a few days ago but was able to move to a site next door and connected right away. (We also look for WIFI campgrounds and have been lucky enough to be on-line most of the time, at least enough to take care of the necessary stuff and e-mail)
We always ask about a clear site when we call ahead for availability.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:06 AM   #27
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
jpf,
I also really like pushing a button as opposed to dinkin' with the tilt and direction of the receiver. I've pretty much made up my mind to get the roof mounted receiver when we upgrade and I was wondering if I needed to also carry the tripod mount as a backup. I think you have answered that, at least for the kind of camping that we do.

Gosh I appreciate real experience. Thanks for sharing yours.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:29 AM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by foggyb

Has anyone mounted a satellite dome on their Montana roof? If so, how did you get the cable routed to the satellite cable input to the trailer. The one I am looking at has auto lock on so it must need either 12v dc or 110v ac power. Have to assume ( hate to use that) the unit would be mounted on the front roof leaving a long haul to the back satellite input. Any input would be appreciated. Thanx Dan
Hi Dan,
I will answer a couple of your questions.
I mounted a Moving View in the middle of the roof, between the vent by the shower and the rear A/C unit. I routed the Two cables and the 12 volt power cable a short distance down through the roof using the Winegard Multi cable entry plate. A slick feed through system they provide. I have the cables snaked down the W/D wall, under the stairs, and down to the belly through the hole already there for the 12 volt Kill Switch in the convenience center, then back to the desk slide and up the back of the Fireplace area to the TV and stereo cables. (I haven't got the last Two Black bottom Pieces off yet, so I am mid-way in this process.)
The cables will be routed through the same harness that unfolds to accommodate the existing wiring for the desk slide.
I may have to add a short section on the supplied single cable.
The power and switch, I have in the electrical cabinet area, the switch is mounted to the right of the Breaker and fuse boxes.
Where I mounted the Dome, makes me a little taller.
Take care, Ozz
I'll post a picture link soon.
http://i1.tinypic.com/23t2zax.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/9c001321.jpg

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets