Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Dthogey
Established Member

M.O.C. #20356
Awning question

At what point do you put your awning back up due to wind? Last night a storm blew in, winds 15-20 mph from the side. It woke me up, the arms were banging up and down. It was very loud inside the camper, it was moving the camper! I finally went out and retracted the awning.

Do you ever use ratchet straps to tie them down? It would seem to help the banging.

Dthogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
LDMoore06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13418
If the wind is strong enough to lift and bang, I either bring it in or tie it down. Depends on how long we are there. Usually it is already tied down.
LDMoore06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Great question. I put mine in if it starts to flap. When I go to bed I put it in even if no wind. When I had a conventional trailer I was at a lake when the wind came up at 3 in the morning. Awnings were ripping off and flying around. I was outside in my shorts holding it down for dear life. Haven't tried straps on this one since it is way higher and than my last one.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I try to put mine up before the wind starts. In Wyoming I never even put it out. Theses new awnings aren't nearly as robust as the manual ones were so I almost never leave it out at night. I like to keep it tied down.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
Dthogey
Established Member

M.O.C. #20356
I'm sorry, I should have stated that my awning is the old style manual up and down.
Dthogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Even so, I would check the weather from one of the many phone apps ( I prefer Storm Shield because it follows me wherever I am, gives me watches and warnings and hourly wind forecasts) and it the wind is going to be more then 10mph I bring it in. Otherwise I'm up all night listening for the awning and the wind.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Mine is also the old manual style. As a rule I just bring it in every night. Too many nights in the past I was out at 3a.m. trying to roll it up in the middle of a storm, or like DQDick "up all night listening for the awning and the wind."
Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
If I'm in a campground and pretty well protected by the wind and I have my sunscreen attached which is staked to the ground I will leave it out overnight unless I know there are winds called for.
Now out in the desert at Quartzsite I never leave it out overnight or even during the day if going away from the trailer. Seen way too many awnings draped over peoples rigs or laying on the ground.
Now since most everyone has electric awnings you can't even put up other campers awnings if they're not there.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote