Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanksgiving plans are made....Florida again!!!

Just made our reservations for our family's annual Thanksgiving trip, and am happy that we will be once again venturing to Florida for the week. Our favorite campground......Topsail Hill Preserve State Park in the panhandle. Due to the oil spill last year we detoured back to Myrtle but it just wasn't the same for the girls. Something to do with that Black Friday shopping experience at the outlet mall in Destin that starts at midnight Friday morning?? The things we do for our kids, but I will confess I am looking forward to eating breakfast at the Donut Hole again and the alligator appetizers at Fudpuckers!!! Hopefully we can have another MOC mini-gathering while we are there, we missed that last year!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Let me know what site you have and I will make sure it s swept off and squeaky clean before I leave.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Site 123, Phil (we are partial to the outside of the loop). Make sure at least one armadillo is trained to stop by and that the pygmy rattlesnakes are trained to stay away. (Those are DW requests, not mine!!). She did happen upon one of the snakes a couple of years ago on one of the bike trails, and was actually brave (or silly??) enough to stop and take pictures!
Bingo
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Oh, and for those who do not know about sweeping the sites, every time we have checked in, the front desk makes sure that if the site has not been swept, they send someone right then to make sure it is clean. This is by far the best kept, most immaculate campground that we have ever stayed in. If Phil is helping in any way with the upkeep here, he among others is doing a fantastic job!!
Phil,
on another note, they haven't changed the policy on fires have they, we always have a fire bowl that we have used there.
Bingo
Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
No still has to be contained aboved ground. Now if you want to stay in the tent area, they have fire boxes at the sites. So you can leave that big ole montana at home and bring a couple of pup tents and you can have your campfire.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Bingo, tell your wife that I am not having a lot of luck with those snakes. We agreed that I go my way and they go theirs. None of them volunteered to be photogenic.
Still trying to get an armadillo to come forward for a presentation. They are all pretty shy.
I did train Frank and Harry a couple of Choclawhatchee Beach Mouses to jump out from the bushes and scare you but they promised not to get in your camper. That was over on site 143.
Tell your wife that on the tram trail at the bottom of the hill where the sharp curve is that there are about 4 or 5 snipes that are trained to whistle at her. But you got to go after dark.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Snipes! Snipes!

They are so cute.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We had read about Topsail Hill, and about a month ago our kids and grandkids went there, so now they have picked out a particular group of lots that they say are "perfect". This CG is now on our list of must visit.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Have fun!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Phil and Gladys, I have lived in FLA almost my entire life, and one thing I have NEVER seen is a shy armadillo! Those boogers will walk right up and make them selves to home not two feet away from you if you let them. They seem totally unafraid of us, and bound and determined to tear up my yard and shrubbery. They are ugly. They are peculiar. They are persistent. They are hard to kill. But they are NOT shy!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Walt I do honestly bow to your expertise on them critters it is just that in the 10 years or so that we have been going to TopSail, I have never seen one in the park. Maybe I have been lucky
I have seen snakes, rabbits, Dune mice, various birds but no armored critters.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I feel the need to shed light on the armadillo disconnect between Walt and Phil. Walt appears to be in central Fl where the armadillo's are educated either at Gainesville or Tallahassee thus more friendly and confident. Phil is a yankee and in the panhandle where the armadillo's are from Oxford, Ms. or Tuscaloosa, Al., hence their social skills are lacking and they won't be seen with a yankee. Bless their little hearts!
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thanks Pineranch for that explaination. Now that makes a lot of sense to me.