Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Floridariz
Established Member

M.O.C. #7401
plugs while moving?

I would like to cook in the crockpot while we are moving...can I plug the crock into an outlet that will cook while we are enroute?

Thanks!
Paula

Floridariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Only if you have a generator running (provided the crockpot is 120v).
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
The outlets are 120 volt and unless you run a generator while you are moving, they aren't live.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I don’t think that would be a very good idea!
There are too many uncertainties as to how the ride could go. It could be quite a mess when you open the door and check on dinner.

Oh By the way; welcome to the forums and Have a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In my humble opinion, I would consider it dangerous. What if the crock pot cracked and the element became exposed? Could that create a fire?

However, if you insist. Determine how much current the crock pot draws. Buy an [s]inverter[/s] [s]converter[/s] that changes DC to AC and will provide that current and then some. Run a separate line from the TV to the trailer to provide the TV battery power being charged while underway, or a solar system.

Secure the heck out of the crock pot. Duck tape came to mind, but it would melt. Maybe wire mesh nailed into the floor.

Good luck.

p.s., as an alternative to the crock pot, consider going out to eat that first night.

Edited: Changed inverter to converter.
then changed it back as being correct. Inverter changes DC to AC.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:08 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Actually there is one other option and that is to use a converter rated for the power need of the crockpot. If I was going to do that I would suggest doing it in the Tow Vehicle so you can keep an eye on it.
The converter converts 12VDC to 120VAC. You need to make sure it has the proper wattage plus 25% to 50% above the stated need. Then you must make sure the wires from the battery to the converter are large enough to handle the current draw to power the converter when the crockpot is turned on.
By running the converter in the truck you can better watch the battery draw with the trucks amp meter.
Good luck.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #7
Floridariz
Established Member

M.O.C. #7401
Ok, that is definitely too many moving parts! I like the idea of eating out that night! :-)

We are putting together a plan to travel out to Quartzite for January so we might be moving each day for a week there and then a week back so I was trying to figure out a way to eat semi-nutritious while moving each day rather than eat out. With my bunch, the excuse to eat out usually involves GOLDEN ARCHES and I could not stomach that for that long! Any other suggestions? WE also get tired of the same ole dry turkey sandwiches every day when we are on the move but I seem to lack creativity for these on the move meals.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
One thing we do on trips is… well actually the D/W does it; she will fix barbeque ahead of time and we will stop and grab that for a quick lunches. If you don’t have a generator to run the microwave for a quick heat up, it can be heated on the stove. However, this might require the slides to be out in order to get to the stove or microwave. Another thought for quick lunches on the road is to have some cold cuts prepared ahead of time. With the slides in we still have access to the refrigerator and find that to be quite handy.
Have a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You can precook with the crock pot overnight, then package it up in the fridge. We seldom ever hit the "arches". W pull over in a rest stop or wherever, bump out the slides, and enjoy a meal. We do have the generator to run microwave to heat up whatever we cooked, but you can do it on the stove just as well.

Watch Lucille Ball in the Long Long Trailer and you will quickly change your mind about leaving anything liquid in a pot back there cooking. You will end up cleaning it off the ceiling! I rode back there once just to see what it would be like - got dizzy in a hurry.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #10
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I have some pictures that I will add tonight when I get home. We use a DC crockpot. What we did was install a DC outlet above the sink (we have a 3000RK but I believe all floorplans have a DC light above the sink.)Having a rear kitchen we were concerned with the splash factor as well but this seemed like a better idea then running a line through the clothes hamper door to the basement plug and setting the crockpot on the floor of the shower. Anyway, we set the crockpot in the sink and plug it in just above the sink. Any spillage is contained in the sink and you can even leave the counter top cover in place although I would use a piece of Duct tape to keep it in place. We have used the set up once in camp to ensure it didn't draw too much current but have not used it going down the road yet, Your/our results may vary.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
precook some meals, freeze, and use the microwave to thaw and warm up for dinner, most families have favorite one dish meals, this is when you need them!

I cannot say you will be able to keep 2 weeks worth in that freezer, but, should be able to keep close to one week. Or, eat out every other night.

Or, salads and soup for dinner.

sometimes we eat larger meal at lunch, and have fruit, yogurt and maybe a bagel for dinner.

How bout the days you do cook while enroute, cook double, freeze half. ta da, another meal.

RVing = thinking out of the box, and no, box dinners are not what I was getting at.

Enjoy that trip!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have done it with great results. We have an inverter (we have solar panels) and my wife fixes the crock pot and puts it in the sink. I have thought about the mess that could be created if we had an accident, but there would be a mess anyway then. It works for us. It's nice to have dinner ready when we arrive at our destination.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Make ahead (as in before you leave home base), freeze, defrost in refrigerator overnight and during the day. Microwave or on the stove warm up. I use zip lock bags, freeze them flat and the stack up nicely in the freezer and defrost nicely as well. Some suggestions/ideas...chilli, beef stew/soup, chicken stew/soup. I have a rice cooker that I can make rice in about 20 minutes you can pre measure the rice in zip locks (get a them here?) pour into rice maker, add water, start cooking immediately after you arrive/have electricity. Put soup/stew into pot and warm on low heat and by the time you have everything set up and the kids settled (to the extent that is possible with kids who have been in a vehicle all day LOL) you should have a hot meal. I do this for both trips and the holidays when family is expected and the reduction is stress and time is PHENOMENAL!

(By the way Doug and I are in Oviedo in the stick house and "Bella" (2955RL) lives up in Umatilla. If you have any questions PM me and maybe we can hook up/call one another.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

We have done it with great results. We have an inverter (we have solar panels) and my wife fixes the crock pot and puts it in the sink. I have thought about the mess that could be created if we had an accident, but there would be a mess anyway then. It works for us. It's nice to have dinner ready when we arrive at our destination.

Orv
Orv: That's a GOOD idea. Next time you are coming to Casa Grande tell Marge to put extra in that crock pot.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:17 AM   #15
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
On our previous TT, I mounted an inverter (pretty cheap from Harbor Freight) under a cabinet wired directly to the battery with an in-line fuse and as short as possible run for running fans. I've read here (or on that "other" forum) where someone travels with 2 crock pots - one in each sink but only fills them 1/2 wsy so they don't slosh out. That way you could even have two separate entrees. They use kitchen towels under and around them to keep them from moving around while in travel. I would think a small bungee cord would ensure the lid stays on. As stated before, you could just tap into the DC light and run a single (or even double) "cigarette lighter-like outlet" (from the local auto supply) and either use DC crockpots or an inverter. There are several DC appliances available from J.C. Whitney and Camping World. Just be sure you have plenty of amperage and don't ovrerload the fuse.

On edit - corrected spelling errors. I read that over twice and STILL missed some!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Well, I stand corrected! It sounds like it can be done without a mess on the ceiling.

I know Orv has top of the line batteries - I wonder if the TV could maintain a charge on a standard pair of deep cycle batteries while powering an inverter. How big is your inverter Orv?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Well, I stand corrected! It sounds like it can be done without a mess on the ceiling.

I know Orv has top of the line batteries - I wonder if the TV could maintain a charge on a standard pair of deep cycle batteries while powering an inverter. How big is your inverter Orv?
2000 watts. Gives us about 16 amps at 120 volts.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #18
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I found that my crock pot got so hot that it melted my cutting board that I had under it. I don't put anything directly on top my counter tops because of the possibility of them cracking. I have aleady had a sink top crack. If you put it in your fake corian sink I would be sure to protect it from the heat.

Others will chime in if they have had a problem with the crock pot hurting anything.

As for traveling, I do what Carol and Robin do. I prepare meals ahead of time and freeze them. Those are put in the freezer and also the refrigerator. A frozen entree in the frig will help keep it cold if you don't travel with the propane on. We don't leave the propane on when we travel, so lots of frozen thing travel in their to help keep it cold and thawing out at the same time. I also have a hot plate that I cook about 50% or more of our meals on. I made Potato soup the another day that lasted us several nights. Now looking at your avatar yours might only last one night.

Welcome to the forum, lots of helpful folks here.

Merry Christamas.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #19
Floridariz
Established Member

M.O.C. #7401
Yes, I have three HUNGRY JACKS in my rv!! :-)

Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I will try the cooking ahead and freezing flat, had not thought of that.