Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2014, 04:09 AM   #1
Slink
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15851
new guy

Hi folks, not new to camping been at it for 50 years just new to Monty purchased a used 2005 3650rk has a few issues but the price was right and nothing i can't fix. Sold a 2008 Raptor 3812sd and purchased brothers 34ft camp master not our cup of tea too small with 3 dogs had a 16 ft garage actually a car hauler. Wife and i love motorcyling but gettin up there and probably will not haul them around anymore.If anybody has an 05 3650rk or had were there any issues that i should be aware of.
Thanks MSgt USMCRet

Slink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:25 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Welcome and pleasant travels! Thanks for your service, from an old Namvet.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:31 AM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Welcome aboard.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:43 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Slink,
Love your Avatar. Welcome as well, I have an older 2007 3400 RL, not too familiar with your floor-plan, but hopefully someone will come along with info on one. Any specific questions you have I can help with, PM me and I will do my best.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! You'll find a great group of knowledgable folks here ready and willing to help. Most issues are shared over a number of years and models so you should be able to find someone here who's got a solution for most things you may face. Good luck with your new rig and we hope to meet you down the road.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Welcome and enjoy this great forum.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
commish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14397
Hi and welcome to the MOC forum.
We have the 3295rk and would not trade it for a new one. I don't think they make trailers like this any more. A Monte is like anything, when they get older and have been down rough roads they will need work.
If I can be of any help just shout. Mike
commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Slink
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15851
Thank you all for the warm welcome.Hope to see you on the rd a few of you arent far away. We belong to +an rv resort in branson mo but won;t go anymore this have a few repairs to take care of first, and HOOK i;m a NamVet as well welcome home
Old 11-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Slink, I traded my Montana for a SOB because of an accident. This is a real great group. Welcome home !
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:19 AM   #10
lunalonestar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11717
Slink: Welcome to the forum! This forum rocks! More information on here and members eager to help than you'll ever imagine

We bought a 2006 3650RK off the lot in 2006. We've been fulltiming in it from the day we bought it. Pulled it coast-to-coast twice; border to border twice and to Alaska. It's been a great rig and has served us well. Even though my wife and I talk about trading, so far, she has yet to find a floor plan that comes close to the 3650RK. She loves the big kitchen and island. You know the story - "if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy", so we're keeping it until it's no longer practical to do so. We're both very happy with this rig. No regrets whatsoever. However it is not the perfect rig. I can think of some issues you should be aware of with this floor plan.

1 - The kitchen drawers are prone to become open during travel and if you're not aware of it, the dining room and kitchen slides will catch the open drawer and cause damage to the slide frame and/or drawer. We solve this problem with velcro straps and my wife ALWAYS double checks before she operates the slides (she doesn't trust me to do it).

2 - The same can be said for the TV slide out tray. If it is not secured in the locked position, the living room slide can rip the TV out of position and cause all kinds of damage.

3 - The forward most seating position in the living room is not ideal for viewing television unless you pull the TV tray out.

4 - The 3650RK has more windows than most other Montana floor plans. This is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because we have a lot of natural light and gorgeous views, but a curse when it's really hot outside and the sun is at its most. It can get really warm. We solved this by installing southern blinds to keep the sun out. Also sometimes when the wind blows hard, it can get drafty next to the window. Having the additional air conditioner in the bedroom is a very good idea as well.

5 - We stuff small pillows, towels or hot pads in the utensil drawer. If you don't you'll discover most of your utensils have spilled over the back down onto the floor behind the drawers. Then you're on your hand and knees pulling out the bottom drawer and digging them out.

6 - People will tell you not to get a rear kitchen because dishes stored in the rear and bumpy roads don't mix. In the 8 years we've been on the road, we've broken a few dishes, but not a lot. It is not a constant and unsolvable issue if we pack them correctly.

Those are issues I can think of that are related to the 3650RK. But make no mistake, we are still delighted with our particular Montana. It has served us very well and we have no plans to replace it any time soon.

I sincerely hope you find your 3650RK to serve you as well as ours has.
lunalonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:27 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Very nice of you Dave,
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:17 AM   #12
Slink
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15851
Thank you so much Dave, the wife loves the rear kitchen because of the room it presents.all the items you mentioned i will take to heart and do.Trl has a few issues needs new awning off switch for FP not working, antenna won't crank up heater does not work, since it was supposedley winterized i can't check it till spring. He had done some rerouting of tv cable wiring which i have redone to it's orig state. Most is little stuff can can be fixed, i exspected some issues because of the price i paid think the heater since it's has a controller and i can hear air flow and the striker going but no gas, there may be some mud dobbers blocking gas flow. I'd love to get working on it but too cold decals are fair at best and no longer available in orig color so i may strip them all off. Inside condition is great outside nahhhhh but will look good at least he put 16s on the rig. Oh to solve your heat problem i have tinted all my windows with Llumar Bronze N1020 commercial grade makes a hell of a diff knocks out 76% of the heat did my last 2 Raptors.
Again thanks so much any other id pm me
Slink