Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
New to MOC from Winnipeg, Mb. Brrrrrrr!

Just signed the papers and put down a deposit on a Mountaineer 331RLT. Next winter we will join the snowbird migration to Az. Still have some decisions to make before the order goes in and thought I would bring them up here to get some expert opinions.
-Are Dual pane windows worth the cost? I understand the biggest benefit is reduced condensation but in the past 3 years we have never had problems with condensation in our Cougar
-Fantastic fan or A/C in bedroom? Don't like running the AC at night. Love the Fantasticfan in our previous unit for cooling the bedroom at night, however, If watching TV in L/R the A/C is real noisy. Could you run the A/C in the bedroom(not ducted) and use furnace fan to circulate the cool air?
-Will probably get the Strong Arm Stabilizer. Auto level would be wonderful but a bit pricey. Maybe will add on later.
-Will add hitch receiver for bicycle rack.
-Decor! Prefer Midnight but want the leather Sofa and Home Theatre seating across from TV and salesman says only the Cocoa decor comes with full leather and the HT. Seems strange but so be it. Does anyone know what the leather colour options are? I've seen dark brown and a Carmel colour. The salesman was vague.
-No mattress upgrade or delete for credit is available. Is the mattress good quality?
-Have asked for least carpet possible. Apparently can't delete carpet in bedroom or the slide under table and chairs. Would like no carpet but not possible. What gives?
-Hitch and Pin box?
Have the Ford Factory Prep with pucks in my truck so hitch options are limited. Would prefer non-slider and told I don't need one. So it's either a Reese Elite 18k or B&W Companion OEM 20k.
Want a cushioned Pinbox so thinking Airborne Sidewinder. Gives me the cushioned ride with benefits of slider without weight of slider hitch (want to be able to easily remove hitch from bed for full bed access).
-Was offered extended protection plan which covers mechanical, not structural, breakdowns for 7 years at cost of $2,700. Rebate of $2000 after 7 yrs if not used. To bad structural is not covered but sounds like a good deal given refund option.
Sorry to be so long winded in my first post but any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated. Want this unit to be as perfect as possible. We aren't doing this again.

Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
First of all welcome to the forum and MOC family. You will glean a wealth of information and friendship during your time here.
Congrats on the rig as well, nice floor plan. We just happened to look at that model yesterday at Four Seasons rv show in Brandon. Really like the direct on viewing for tv.

I will try to answer a few of your questions.
Dual pane windows, don't leave home without them especially if you plan to do much camping in the cooler early and late months of our camping season. You will also find less noise from outside sources while inside your rig.
We find the fantastic fans(we have two) are mostly all we need except for a few real hot days here in the summer and have never had a second air conditioner, perhaps with your extended stays down south if you happen to stay later in the season you will need two.
Strong arm stabilizers have made a huge difference to our last two rigs.
We use a Simmons Beautyrest pillow top mattress in our 5ers, just a regular queen for us, the factory matt is not good for us.
Yes, we understand no changes allowed when it comes to floor covering, like you we think much less carpet is good.
We have a Hijacker double pivot hitch with no a Mor-Ryde pin box for us, best ever so far for pulling.
Extended warranties are a crap shoot either way, lots of things not covered it seems, don't count on a rebate after 7 years because odds are you will need to use it and it's not hard to rack up a thousand or two in repairs over 7 years.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum and we hope to meet you down the road sometime. In our case we summer in Kansas and Winter in Arizona so two AC's are a must for us. Both are running right now since it's 90 degrees here near Yuma today. Dual pane windows, as noted above, are a must. If it isn't for the insulation value it has to be for the noise reduction. We also have a pillow top mattress we took from the (hardly used) guest room in our stick house when we sold it. On extended warranties I would check around. Good Sam and others off that coverage and generally it's a profit source for the dealer and at the very least can be negotiated down in price.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Welcome and congrats on the new rig ordered. Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it. I would recommend dual ACs. Keystone is not big on production modifications as you have noted.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Your first post is great Charli. Lots of great questions and in the MOC we regard there are NO dumb questions, so never apologize for them since it helps you learn something.

My Monty is older and purchased in '06 and what I know now, I would have liked dual pane windows, and a second A/C. If you plan to snowbird in AZ, you just might need them and in my rig I didn't think about the much larger area which needs cooling and temps higher than 90 are a struggle for my single unit. I live and RV in the southern states and try to avoid summer RVing because of it.

The only thing I can recommend regarding your questions is to suggest you check on the SteadyFast stabilizers. They might be simpler to use than the Strong Arm and therefore a lesser expensive option over the Strong Arm system. Here's their link: http://www.steadyfast.com/. I'll admit I don't have them but stabilizers are on my wishlist and it's the one I'll probably get even after all these years.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
We like you prefer less carpet. We take out most of the carpet possible when we purchase a unit. The slides just about have to have carpet as the transition between the separate floors need some sort of cover, protection. If I was more adventuresome I would remove the carpet from slides and attempt to create a cover for the joints.

Welcome to RV'ing!
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Got a call from the dealer about a week ago and our 331 is in. DW and I dropped in to see it today. They still have to clean it up and add a hitch receiver for our bike rack and install the 5th airborne sidewinder. It sure is beautiful. Can hardly wait to take it out on the first trip.
It's actually a 2015 model. The island in the kitchen was on rollers in the '14 models and it is now fixed to the floor which is fine with us. Curious though on why they changed. The woodwork seems to be a little darker than I remember but otherwise it looks the same as the '14 we ordered.
The size of it is a bit intimidating given our last unit was a 26SAB Cougar XLite. Guess I'll get used to it.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
One other thing. As I suspected, the mattress is very poor quality and will likely get switched with the one in our spare bedroom (it seldom gets used) in our stick house. Very disappointed given the price we paid. Never thought to check the tires but will do that when we do our PDI. Will also print off a PDI list from this forum.