Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
Prospective new owner

Hello all, I will be selling the house and going fulltime within the next few years so I am actively researching 5th wheels and think that a Montana is the way I'll be going. I will probably buy a used one since I'll be retired and will need to pay cash. I looked at new ones and they are top shelf. I have also looked at some used models to see how they have held up and the quality seems to be there when used. I wonder when Montana switched from peel and stick wood finishes to real wood like the new ones.

kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Good question on the years they changed from peel and stick to real wood my last Montana Big sky was a 2003 and it had real wood and it was also trouble free for the 3 years(even the outside Graphics held up!!...RARE) I owned it but the previous owner Babied it and never used it much and Covered it ,I think that is the key is to find a owner that took nice care of it ,did all proper maintnence,did they cover it when not in use?? just like any brand you will find good ones that were babied and bad ones that were not well cared for, but my experience with Montana has been very good New one And Old one, there are Many folks here on the Forum that have older Montana's and can tell you their experience as well
Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to this forum. You should be able to find a gently used Montana out there that will suit your needs. The nice thing about this forum is that when you are looking at a particular model, even a discontinued one like ours, you can jump on the forum and get information on what other owners or former owners liked about that model or didn't like about it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of wisdom here. Ask any question, you will find someone with the answer
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
I see a lot of dual wheel tow vehicles, since I need to buy a p/u to pull the Montana I am thinking Diesel but wonder about 4x4 and dual wheels. Any thoughts?
kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I suggest you look at 2007 and newer. That was when the added the convenience center and improved winter / cold weather usage.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For a big heavy Montana class camper I would go with a DRW truck especially for a full timer. As for peel and stick wood work my 2011High Country is still peel and stick. I don't know about a real Montana.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kiltedpig

I see a lot of dual wheel tow vehicles, since I need to buy a p/u to pull the Montana I am thinking Diesel but wonder about 4x4 and dual wheels. Any thoughts?
Welcome Bill!

I LOVE this question - especially when someone is doing it right and asking BEFORE they have their truck.

With the weight we are pulling, the only thing that will safely AND legally be within limits is a dual rear wheel. I have the diesel dually, and got the camper certificate (which basically gives you your payload amount) and with the fifth wheel loaded (and I don't even full-time) it only leaves about an 800 pound buffer. You cannot go by the brochure weights either - for pin weight or gross weight.

The important point is - the more payload you can get, the better (for the king pin weight) - which is by getting the dual rear wheel. A 3/4 ton is insufficient for these big trailers, and while a one-ton single rear wheel can "do it", if you're going to be buying, get the added payload and stability of the dually.

For the best torque and towing capacity AND towability, you'll want the diesel too - especially if you're full-timing. I have done both, and there is no comparison to have a properly equipped tow vehicle to pull SAFELY this kind of weight.

As for four-wheel drive, I've had both and would never have a 2X4 again. Even just a slippery grass campsite can cause you to get stuck, and wheels spinning with a 4X2. Any loose or slippery site can get you stuck, especially trying to back in. With my 2X4 I got stuck several times, and vowed never to go without a 4X4 again.

Hope that helps! Keep asking questions, lots of folks ready and willing to help!

Greg and Kris

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
High Country is all about light weight, averaging about three thousand pounds lighter than the Montana. They are also about price, much less expensive than Montana. So, there are many differences. Ask a lot of questions. The HC has a 10 inch frame, Montana has a 12 inch frame. Montana has a one piece molded cap, front and rear. Solid wood is heavier than wrapped man made material . A lot to think about .
Too bad you are not on the east coast, we have 10 gently used Montes in inventory at present. The size of the frame was increased to 12 inches in 13.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Oops, double post.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
You can definitely find good quality used, if you know what you're looking for. It's smart to get a jump on things and learn what's out there long before taking the plunge. Get as much knowledge you can in the meantime and look at other manufacturers as well. I wouldn't go more than 3-4 years old, but that's just me. As far as the truck goes, I don't think many Montanas fall into the 3/4 ton category. A dually gives you more choices.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:16 AM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Good luck with your search. We too joined MOC while awaiting the sale of our house. The bad news was that with the housing market it took us six years to sell. The good news is that during those years we followed MOC. The education we received was worth its weight in gold and eliminated an untold number of issues for a new 5th wheel owner.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:37 AM   #13
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I believe you are going about it the right way. We did a lot of research and read this forum for months prior to our house selling. We found a used 2008 3400RL in another state that had been very well maintained and started with that. You will probably find two different "camps" on SRW vs. DRW trucks for pulling most of our rigs. We are full time and pull with a SRW diesel. Good luck with your decisions. When we started down this road we thought we may do it for 3 or 4 years. Now we can't imagine ever stopping!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #14
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kiltedpig

I recommend dually/4X4 as the way to go.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:24 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We became MOC members a year before we purchased our first Montana. We got great heads up on the product but we purchased one anyhow in fact we purchased two. You will see more Montana's out there than any other brand so some used ones will show up. You will need a experienced person with you to evaluate the unit. Our 06 32400 Montanan served us well but not without problems.
Most Montana's nowq will require a dually truck for the pin weight but who knows what the ratings will be down the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote