Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
Dusthunt
Established Member

M.O.C. #23671
Electric power reel issue.

Good morning everyone. Got a question for the Keystone community of collective knowledge this morning. I have a 2018 Montana and the electric reel that rolls up the power cord would not engage when I bought the camper. We took the metal skirting off and there was a round gear/disk with studs in it that slip into holes on the reel when you engage the switch. These studs are just set in holes and had pushed back through the holes to the point they would not grab the reel when engaged. after pushing the studs back into place the reel worked fine. Is this an issue anyone else has had? Its not hard to fix but taking the metal skirting off is not pleasant and then resealing is also not great fun. I'm thinking if this happened this fast it will soon happen again and probably where it is the most unhandy to work on. Has anyone else found a fix for this?

Dusthunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
cord reel

I believe I have only seen one other post dealing with cord reel problems, and it seems like it was just a few weeks ago. I monitor the forum daily, and I may have missed other posts, but it must not be a common issue or we would see lots of traffic on the subject. My cord reel has worked fine so far (14 months of service).
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Dusthunt
Established Member

M.O.C. #23671
Thanks Mike. It was extremely cold the day we were trying to real the power cord in. Not sure that made a difference or not. In my mind the studs may have been loose in the cold and perhaps in warm weather they will tighten up. We will see.
Dusthunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
New cord reel expert

It sounds to me like you are the new “go-to” guy for all-things-cord reel.
It’s always nice to have an expert to consult with!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
Tomg52

M.O.C. #23478
I have a 2018 3121 RL Legacy Edition where the electric cord reel motor runs but does not engage the sprocket/gears. What is the easiest way to access the reel works for repair?
Tomg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Kmkraus

M.O.C. #27537
Has anyone found a solution to this or can post their fix or what they found out? . We just had this happen and I think is our problem with our new Montana with legacy package. Currently on the road. We manually rolled it up, not fun. Going to look at it when we get to our next stop. Tia
Kmkraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #7
EverywhereMan
Established Member

M.O.C. #20893
Hi,
My cord reel just stopped working on this trip. I can hear the motor but the reel does not turn. How can you best access it? A previous post mentioned he removed the skirting from underneath that area, right? and push in studs. Thank you.
EverywhereMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #8
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
On my 3720 I had to remove the J-panel to access the reel. Mine did the same and ended up being the gear stripped. Most likely you will have to replace it. Repair was a problem because parts were not available. Mine broke about a year ago so you may have parts available now that were not then. I think mine was about $575 to replace.
Good Luck,
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
I too have had the "studs" fall out and cause the reel to stop winding. I fixed it myself by pushing the studs back in and then tapping them to better seat them. That was 2 years ago, but I have no confidence in the fix. I run it as little as possible and only in short spurts to get the plug out or in far enough. I then use an extension to the post. Kinda defeats the purpose of the reel, doesn't it?
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:33 AM   #10
EverywhereMan
Established Member

M.O.C. #20893
Thanks for your reply. I have 3561RL model. Where is the J panel? The reel seems to surrounded on three sides (bottom and both sides) by a metal box with no access. I even start to take metal skirting off from underneath but as noted in this thread that a pain in the but.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:07 AM   #11
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverywhereMan View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have 3561RL model. Where is the J panel? The reel seems to surrounded on three sides (bottom and both sides) by a metal box with no access. I even start to take metal skirting off from underneath but as noted in this thread that a pain in the but.
The J-panel is often called J-wrap. The J-panel is the skirting, getting it's name from it's shape. And YES it is a pain in the butt. I had to remove the plastic trim strips between the fiberglass and the J-panel, also between J-panel and rear cap. Removed ALL screws to remove J-panel. Once J-panel is removed easy access to cord reel. Hope this helps.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:36 PM   #12
EverywhereMan
Established Member

M.O.C. #20893
Thank you for your help!