Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 AM   #1
importman
Established Member

M.O.C. #23335
06 336rlt Adding front a/c

Hello all, I believe this is my first, (of probably many) posts on here. What I've got is an 06 336RLT that my elderly mother was living in until she passed away in November. Now my wife and I are fixing it up and we're going to be putting it on a permanent site in the western NC mountains. I'm considering adding a front A/C unit because the single unit just can't quite handle it on the really hot days. My mother had a 5K window unit in the window on the forward side of the curbside slideout. That won't work for me because it will interfere with opening the awning. (That's the only window on the whole camper that will accommodate one).Again that wasn't a problem for my mom as she never put the awning out. Now to my question; I plan to add the ac to the opening in the bedroom that currently has a regular vent in it. The question is, do they prewire these for the a/c? If not will I have to pull wires and install a breaker for the 110 and a fuse for the 12v? I replaced the unit on my Outback TT awhile back and it's really a pretty simple job but I can't imagine what it would be like to have to pull wires for this. While I'm asking, are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of when doing this? I was planning on installing a 13.5K ductless unit but now I just found out they make an 11K. Would it be better to go with the 11K to keep the amperage down overall and maybe avoid a few trips to the power pole to reset the breaker? Thank you in advance for any help you can offer on this.

importman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #2
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
A couple things to consider. The first and possibly the most important is whether that 5er has a 50 amp service. If not, the 30 amp will probably not run two a/cs (30 amp service = 3600 watts vs 12,000 for 50 amp service)

Next - do you want to limit the a/c output by going with a 11K Btu unit? A 13.5 really does a good job in the front of ours where an 11 may not.

120VAC wiring to the vent - wouldn't bet on that in an '06. If there is a plastic outlet cover on the ceiling near that vent, you may be in luck. If not, pulling wires is a nearly impossible job and you need at least a 12AWG feed to the breaker. I would consider a surface track across the ceiling then down the wall to the front compartment then to the breaker box (https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electric...s/N-5yc1vZc65f )
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
My 06 was 110v prewired for the second air conditioner. Put a 13.5 ductless in. No thermostat, just use the temp control and fan speed on the face of the unit. About 90 minutes to do entire install. As Dave W stated works perfect on 50 amp service. I have used both with 30 amp service but can't run much else. Get one unit running. Lower thermostat so that unit will not cycle. Then you can start the second unit. Learned that trick off this forum from Mudchief.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
importman
Established Member

M.O.C. #23335
Thank you both for your replies. I always thought the wiring should be there but never knew for sure. I guess it really wouldn't be a big deal to remove the inner trim piece from the vent and see if I can see the wiring. I appreciate your help with this. Since the new location is in the mountains and it's a really shady site I may see if the rear unit can handle the hot days on its own before I make a move on this.
importman is offline   Reply With Quote