Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #21
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops8 View Post
X2 ! !
X3 ! ! !

hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #22
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
I think it could be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Wow, all the nay sayers. Probably over 90% of 5th wheelers are novices and would benefit greatly from this. The forums are absolutely dominated by weight discussions and arguments. Can't imagine why it's not a good thing.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #23
4dabirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #23111
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
I know where this is going. They're going to put it on the hi-end units and eventually it will spread to all units. Hopefully it won't be legislated as a required safety feature. And the selling point will be that you'll get an insurance break for this safety feature. What the video didn't tell us is what the recourse is if the weights do turn red for overloading the RV or for a rear heavy load. Does it set the brakes and you're not permitted to go? I have to say that I appreciate their concern for the right-size load. After-all, that's why some can't stop to avoid the accident or why handling problems caused the accident. But rather than building the RV thinner and flimsier each year, I'd rather see the materials being used stronger and safer even though they might be lighter and weigh less. I'd rather have faith that if I did overload that this good RV it is going to survive and still be going down the road. I would prefer that the truck had the sensors to detect an overload whether in the bed or being towed. That would help with the 3/4 Ton problem.
This application, and how it can be used, feels as though it’s on the front side of upcoming legislation... not that these things couldn’t already be an issue in result of a catastrophic accident, but now, any deviation would be readily traceable, excluded from coverage, and / or increase the liability of the driver for having willfully made the decision to drive in the red.

Beyond that, all the concerns with calibration and longevity of the system come to mind. Kind of a neat feature if it worked consistently, but how to know truly if it is accurate. Easier to simply head to a DOT certified scale.

Like others, this is solving a problem we don’t really have since our weights stay fairly consistent with the style of our unit and limited cargo space on the 3820FK. If used as a tool and not for compliance, then it is more useful on the toy haulers and units with increased storage capacity.
4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #24
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmthelen View Post
A prime example is the pivot door, how many have replaced it? Or better yet, how many LIKE it?
I think the pivot door is an awesome idea

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #25
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
Trucks were using load cells to measure axle loading 50 years ago that I can remember. This is probably something along similar lines.

Appears that you only get two measurements; the two axles combined and then the pin box. Modern technology should make it possible to determine the weight at each wheel, which would be a benefit over what most CAT scales offer.

I too like the pivot door.