Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Question for you experienced Boondocker folks

For those of you with Macerators, and which do you recommend, do you think they are necessary, do you recommend them and why?
I think I have an idea, but it seems you would run out of water around the time you need to dump.. but I just don't know.
I need to get information, so I know whether to budget for one.

I have seen Marine Macerators and they seem cheaper. Why would that be? Are they better.. less powerful?????
I guess they have to be placed lower than the dump outlet, so it seems that takes a permanent mount out of the picture???
Thanks a bunch for the help.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Never used one myself, never saw the need.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We have the Sewer Solutions system. No electric, just water. It has a water jet that shoots straight down into the discharge hose. As soon as the waste hits it, it is liquefied and flows easily through the hose. The water jet requires a separate water line. We use one of those cheap splitters so you can hook up two hoses to one faucet. You only need to run the macerator hose when you are dumping. We also hook our outside shower to the black tank flush with a quick connect. When the black tank starts to drain down we turn on the flush and run until everything is clear.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozz- Why would you need a Macerator or any such device boondocking? You can't dump while you are out in no man's land anyway! While a Q, for example, they bring in a "honey wagon" and they take care of things like that for you for a fee of course but do a good job!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I have a macerator which we seldom ever use as I much prefer to use the 3" hose and dump directly into a Blueboy.
We use a lot of fresh water when boondocking which means we would have to move the trailer every three days which would be a major pain in the butt.
I guess it depends on how much water you use Ozz and how long you stay in one place.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:42 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's the water and where to carry the blue boy issue that's killed it for us. If we need to we use the pumping service at Q and other area's of high BLM use seem to have similar folks making money with a honey dipper.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I carry a 50 & 15 gal container for fresh water and the blueboy in the back of the truck. There are advantages of having a long box.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
I have a Flojet 12v macerator that I bought a couple years ago (CW $249.00). I bought it because I had difficulty at 2 camping spots that I frequent. I've used it maybe a dozen times and it's starting to act up. It has quit a couple times during the last 2 dumps. I'm sure most of you can imagine the mess this created. I attempted to contacted Flojet a couple of times via email requesting assistance and have been ignored so far. I guess they figure they already have my money and don't need to deal with me anymore, so I wouldn't recommend one of these. If I buy another, it will be the non-powered one that uses water jets. When the Flojet worked, it was great.
Rob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rob Walters

I have a Flojet 12v macerator that I bought a couple years ago (CW $249.00). I bought it because I had difficulty at 2 camping spots that I frequent. I've used it maybe a dozen times and it's starting to act up. It has quit a couple times during the last 2 dumps. I'm sure most of you can imagine the mess this created. I attempted to contacted Flojet a couple of times via email requesting assistance and have been ignored so far. I guess they figure they already have my money and don't need to deal with me anymore, so I wouldn't recommend one of these. If I buy another, it will be the non-powered one that uses water jets. When the Flojet worked, it was great.
Rob you indicated you had a problem the last couple of times you used your pump. Did it just quit? Or what specific problems did you have? I just purchased one and have used it only 2 or 3 times. It seems to work great. I did have to replace a fuse. Was your problem with the pump or just with the electric? Thanks, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rob Walters

Rob you indicated you had a problem the last couple of times you used your pump. Did it just quit? Or what specific problems did you have? I just purchased one and have used it only 2 or 3 times. It seems to work great. I did have to replace a fuse. Was your problem with the pump or just with the electric? Thanks, Dennis
Dennis
Our Flojet is over six years old. We used it over ten times this summer, maybe fifty times since we bought it. We always pump over 150 feet and never had it stop on us. We would not be without it.
Ron
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks Ron. Good to hear that the pumps have a long life to them. Looking forward to a useful life out of the thing. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ozz, we have a flowjet unit and never had problems. we bought it while in Byron NY at the NE rally several years ago because they put us on a site about 10 ft below John Kohl's site and he was the last one in the row with sewer. So I had to pump 65 ft horizontally and 10 feet vertically to a Y fitting on his sewer. We turned a water and elect site to a FHU with the pump and 75 ft of 3/4 inch hose. Never had a problem and because of this system we now have 2 FHU sites at our home (sticks and bricks). It isn't as fast as the 3inch gravity dump but it solves problem we had a need for..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Like Dave states, there are times when the a macerator will do the job where a Sewer Solution won't. We have both and use the macerator only when the SS can't pump out.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I was hoping for information on whether I need either as a serious 'Boondocker' or is it something many get along without and are happy as clams.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Ozz,
If you are in a situation where you have a tank in the back of your truck and want to pump up into it then you would need an electric macerator, other than that I don't know why you would need one while boondocking
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Charlie. I didn't think so, but many folks have them and they must use the tanks. I have no room for anything in my short-bed.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ozz, the other option is that you can pump right into a residential toilet if you cannot find a clean out...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote