Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #41
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I found mine by just dropping the curb side. But the dealer also had to look at it. We went there, hung around for 2 hours while they dropped the pan and got the #s then went back to campground as we are FT and called us when the tank and plumbing were in the shop. We had a slight glitch there as they shipped the tank and left the plumbing at Keystone. Just load some stuff in the rig and take it to the shop, tell them you are on the road now and need them to get the #s. Once they have them go home with the rig and have them call when it ALL comes in. Our dealer is also 3 hours away, I know it is a pain but the tank has to replaced... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #42
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Oh Man, why does this have to be so difficult? :-) Any company that I worked for or managed knew what part number was in a product by serial number of the product. It is this kind of thing that has me just as frustrated with Keystone/Montana as all the failures we have had. It is just plain poor configuration control, which leads to poor production control, which leads to poor manufacturing quality. The insidious part of this is that we owners pay and pay, over and over, again and again because Montana doesn't have their manufacturing act together. When I found out, on this forum, that wiring schematics for Montana RV's were not available because the wiring was left up to the production workers, I just couldn't believe it. In fact I still have trouble believing that. No manufacturer can produce a quality product under those conditions. This tank situation is just another example of very naive and immature production practices. I better quit before I go off the edge. Shaking my head in disbelief! But it is on wheels! Ah, that solves the problem. Push the darn thing off the end of a pier and give it the glooch test! Hopefully lightening will strike. Bah Humbug!
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are many different set ups on the different models.Example, on my 3400 the black and Grey tank although the same size tank one was a Left drain and the other a right drain . Note that the 08 models have bigger tanks.. The numbers on the white tag and the L R drain is all the information one needs to insure the correct tank. You need not take the camper to the dealer just make sure they get the mentioned information.. That was emphasized by the tank vendor and our dealer. Our dealer said that have received the wrong tank by ordering by part number..no matter what the brand camper. The part number of the tank is not enough..we must know if it is a right or left drain.. The same tank may be a right drain on a 3400 and a left drain on a 3295??? The more information provided the less chance for a mistake..

When I ordered a new front air dam for my shinny new 08 Ford truck there were two part numbers one for a 4X4 and one for a 4X2. So it was not enough to say we had a 08 S.D truck..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #44
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Rich,

I gave this tank information to my dealer along with asking what the warranty is on the repair? Response from Service Manager: "Find another dealer, I don't have the time or motivation for this." Honestly, that is almost verbatim. They aren't returning phone calls any more either. My next call is to Keystone.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nice dealer,.. Sounds like thay are going belly up..You will need to call keystone then and provide them with the mentioned information also the response from your dealer. The tank vendor is Right up the street from the service center and we had no problem at all. Our tank did come via the service center in less than 10 days. To bad you are so far away a call to the service center and a trip to the fall rally could solve all your problems. You as I are out of warranty. there was a 1 year warranty on the tank by the tank manufacturere..... What a hassel..
Old 08-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #46
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I recently got my hands on a Montana Item list relative to Holding tanks on our late 2006 3400RL. Here is the list by item #

100709 Tank - Holding 32" x 57" - Side Drain - Black
100809 Tank - Black - Strap - 2" x 30-1/2"
102586 Tank - Fresh Water - 7-1/2" x 29-3/4" x 57"
102800 Tank - Holding - 24" x 63" x 8" - Right Side Drain
102801 Tank - Holding - 24" x 63" x 8" - Left Side Drain
111855 Tank - Holding - 28" x 59" x 8"

It is almost criminal that Keystone/Montana doesn't know which one is in our unit until it is physically inspected.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #47
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Sorry, left out a dimension on the first tank.

I recently got my hands on a Montana Item list relative to Holding tanks on our late 2006 3400RL. Here is the list by item #

100709 Tank - Holding 32" x 57" x 5" - Side Drain - Black
100809 Tank - Black - Strap - 2" x 30-1/2"
102586 Tank - Fresh Water - 7-1/2" x 29-3/4" x 57"
102800 Tank - Holding - 24" x 63" x 8" - Right Side Drain
102801 Tank - Holding - 24" x 63" x 8" - Left Side Drain
111855 Tank - Holding - 28" x 59" x 8"

It is almost criminal that Keystone/Montana doesn't know which one is in our unit until it is physically inspected.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #48
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Our unit is currently at the dealer getting the black tank replaced. Had a large crack directly above the outlet pipe. Will report on results.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #49
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Picked up our late 2006 3400RL yesterday after getting the black tank replaced. $742.00. A tension filled session about this and other issues. Underbelly black panel was cut in two places to get it off to get to the tank. First observation, the dealer hadn't taped up the cuts or resealed the pipe holes with foam caulking. Insulation was probably cut as well and not repaired. Had them tape the cuts and add the foam caulking. Had asked for them to save the old tank so I could see it and take pictures of the crack. The tank I was shown was set against the curb and a pickup with a receiver hitch equalizer bracket mounted in it had backed into the tank and had totally crushed it. That really upset me but.... what can I do about it. Disgusting. and really frustrating. I'll let you draw your own conclusions about this bit of idiocy. The conclusions I have drawn aren't publishable on this list. We are now test camping within 2 miles of the dealer to see if there are any leaks or problems with this replacement tank. So far so good. I'm still very discouraged that every time we have to get another thing fixed it is always a hassle and ends up in some kind of disappointment.

I am truly hoping we won't have any more major issues to deal with for awhile. The major issues have seemed to be continuous and as a result the little stuff gets blown out of proportion. The Dometic Recall was taken care of the same time. Apollo oven carousel drive still unfixed. Dealer says they can't get repair parts and are not certified to make repairs to Apollo 1/2 time ovens, only complete replacements. And Pigs don't fly! Oh well, I'm well on the way of getting the parts directly from Midwest Sales to repair it myself. Sooner or later we will get to spend some time in the RV w/o new problems or failures popping up. I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The black tank does have to be cut in the area of the plumbing to remove the tank.Our dealer did order and replace the "artic package " material they also taped the cuts and re caulked the pipe holes. Difference in dealer service shows. The price was about the same.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #51
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had our black water tank replaced in 2006 at Central RV in Fresno, CA. What a great service place! They didn't hesitate to do the work. All they do is service work as the owner had seen a need for this type of business for over 35 years. I think I know why most dealers are not "motivated" to do this type of work. If you have ever had the opportunity to smell the odor of one of these cracked black water tanks after it has leaked for several months, I think you might understand why they don't want to do it. At Central RV, their shop contained this odor for almost a week. It's something that's not pleasant. They had a lunch room apart from the maintenance area and they couldn't even eat their lunches because of the odor. They never complained and did the job extremely well, even to the point of using fender washers under the heads of the screws holding the underbelly up.

Because of the problems with this replacement and how I observed the technician, full of "crap" from doing the work--with a smile on his face--I felt compelled to slip him an extra $20. He refused to take it but I insisted that at least he might be able to go out some place to eat his lunch.

I don't know what my dealer might have done, and I consider them the best in the nation.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 AM   #52
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Orv,

I've heard nothing but good reports about Central RV in Fresno. Good to know since we are only abut 100 miles south of them. We had one of our friends do some work with them and they were very satisfied. The did indicate that they thought they were a bit expensive but very happy with the work. One of those places where you feel safe knowing they are going to do it the way it should have been done.

Thanks for the report.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #53
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Well, we had our Black tank replaced on our late 2006 3400RL for $742.00. Dealer didn't tape the cuts in the underbelly black cover or foam caulk the pipe holes so I had them do that upon my inspection. I wasn't able to get a clear reason why they hadn't done that. Allot of babbling even after they told me how they were going to do all that before I authorized the work. Had asked them to save the old tank so i could see where it had cracked and they showed me a tank that had been backed into by a P/U was almost crushed. That really upset me and some nasty words were uttered. Made me very suspicious about the whole thing and still does. Anyway, we camped 4 nights within two miles of the dealer to check things out. Everything seems ok but I didn't fill the black tank all the way up either. Still quite concerned about another recurrence. Never was able to get them to tell me if the new tank was better than the first one. Hopefully at least that issue is resolved. Had the Dometic refrigerator recall work done at the same time. Two more issues to go which I'm hoping I can handle myself.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:29 AM   #54
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
Send a message via MSN to Dont Send a message via Yahoo to Dont
Hi Rich Hope all is well with you and Helen we met you in Quartsite a couple of years ago,My question is will they ship the tank to you and what does it cost ,my black tank is leaking from the top,We have a RV Tech hear in the park,that is going to do the work. I have a CSP policy from GOODSAMS and they said they would cover all but 300.00 How does that sound.
Dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 AM   #55
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The tank, direct from Travelstar, wholesales for $64. The shipping is about $130.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #56
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
There is quite a bit of work to replace this black tank. Quite a few pipe connections have to be undone and reinstalled. What is really irritating to me is that since so may of us Montana owners have experienced the same exact tank failure it is quite apparent to me that Montana should be covering this expense due to a faulty tank installation and/or OEM tank selection. Montana is the responsible party here and IMHO liable for the expenses we have incurred.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:08 AM   #57
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don..The total cost for our black tank replacement to me was 685.00 all but 50.00 paid by our service contract (AKA extended warranty)The warranty does not pay sales tax. Yes they will ship it to you but the cost was the same as shipped to the dealer 130.00. They allowed 5 hours labor. Cost of the tank to the dealer was 115.00 . There was 65.00 worth of plumbing. I guess if you are very handy you could do it yourself. I do agree that Keystone does not install the tanks as Travelstar recommends(they recommend straps) but that falls on deaf ears.Sprik who is parked 3 slots down from me has both his gray and black tank leaking from the top.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #58
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Dont,

Why are you required to pay $300?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #59
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
Send a message via MSN to Dont Send a message via Yahoo to Dont
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Dont,

Why are you required to pay $300?
because that is my deductable with CSP
Dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #60
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks. I am considering various extended warranty companies and from what I have heard about CSP, I began to think it would not be the right decision (based on total failure before paying), and I thought the $300 was in addition to your deductible. So, thanks for the clarification.