Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
R Berry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19916
understanding my Inverter

I have a 2017 Montana 3731FL and it has a Magnum Dimensions CSW 1012 Pure sine Wave Inverter installed in the storage area alone with a CSW-TS15 Transfer switch. what is this being used for? I thought it was for my residential refrigerator, but with no AC power the fridge also has no power. So what am I missing?
R. Berry

R Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Is it turned on? there should be a 120 cord plugged into it. Also in the front compartment there is a switch to disconnect 12VDC to the inverter.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
R Berry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19916
the cord is plug in (going to the transfer switch). But I'm not sure if the inverter is functional I push the power button on it and nothing, no lights nothing. the 12VDC switch is on, but shouldn't it be on for the inverter to work?

what I did was kill the AC power to the RV and checked the fridge to see if it was on and it wasn't.

after the transfer switch is there a AC sub-panel or would it just feed the fridge?
Old 03-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
They usually have a square resettable fuse about a foot from your battery on the positive lead going to the inverter. Check to make sure that is not tripped.

I always recommend that anyone that owns an RV should have a volt meter and learn how to use it. They are dirt cheap and really are the best tool for troubleshooting any electrical issue. In this case, I would check to see if you had 12volts to the inverter on the heavy lugs where the battery wires attach to it. If you do then you can check to see if you have 120 going out of the plug in (you could even check that with a drop light or something similar). If not you may have a small fuse blown on the unit (some have them some don't) that should be on the front or back panel (someone with that model could verify or visit the website or maybe u tube search it). If you have 110volt coming out it might be the transfer switch isn't working but that gets a little more technical and at that point you probably should have a pro look at it.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Check that the switch is on in the front compartment. Switch is about 2.5 inches square with a red knob
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
R Berry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19916
I have a Fluke 88 know it very well, retired IT support person. what I did find was the neg. cable was not hook up to the battery. It was just laying near the battery (the electrons would not not jump that far). So I hook it up. I get 12VDC to the inverter I now have a light on the front of inverter but I can't read it because of the location. I check the outputs of the inverter nothing. I think I should have 115-120 VAC on the outputs at the receptacle. I bought this Montana new Spring of 2017. have not had a need for the inverter until now getting things ready for summer trip to Alaska and was trying to figure out how this thing is wired. My RV has been at the same location the past 1 &1/2 years.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
R Berry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19916
well after hooking up the neg cable to the battery and check the outputs on the inverter I realize that the output receptacle is GFCI reset it and now its working like it should my fridge works without 120AC.