Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Highway patrol info on legality of home states

Well, I contacted Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, & Missouri.
I asked about if I could get a ticket for only 1 legal plate on the front of a truck. (And Missouri's opinion on the ticket)
Here is New Mexico's response:

FromLovato, Joseph D., DPS
Tojozzieosue@yahoo.com
Mr. Osbern
I am in receipt of your question regarding your registration plate and the problem you encountered in Arizona.
I cannot speak for the laws or protocols of states other than New Mexico. According to our law (state statute 66-3-301) you would be in compliance with our law.
If you have any other questions of concern please contact me.
Major Joseph Daniel Lovato
East Zone Commander
New Mexico State Police
4491 Cerrillos Road
Santa Fe, NM 87507
Office: 505-827-9054
Fax: 505-827-3395

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ozz. When I lived in New Mexico and had a registered and licensed vehicle there and the state only required one plate. Of course, they are gonna say it's okay since I don't recall if it was required on the rear, but that's where I saw everyone using theirs. I put mine in the rear cuz at night it's illuminated where a front mounted plate is not.

I can see your reasoning, that if you have a trailer under tow you can only see the front of the TV and the rear of the RV quite plainly and your configuration makes sense..... until you unhooked the trailer.

I have two BILs who are or were LEOs and they did admit to me that the mood of some officers will certainly determine any unfortunate civilian's experience. I guess LEOs are part human too. I will admit that I hope when they become human and want to flaunt their power they are not tailing me at the time.

I think the other states you mention are dual plate states. So I'm curious of their responses. But as with many MOCers and per your tale, Goodyear is off my "spend money on the local businesses" list. I used to stop at a truckstop there but no more. I'll stick to Ehrenberg or Quartzsite to the west or to eastern parts of Phoenix.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It should be the law, not a patrolman's mood.. Should be...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
But you'll hear plenty of officers pat themselves on how many they allow to get away with things even though it's the law and then they get angry with their wife and kids and take it out on the public. Even I've driven over the speed limit by a few mph when towing and the law was in the other lanes. In your case, if the LEO asked you to reposition the plate from the front to the rear, then it would have been DONE! But as mostly proper citizens, we take offense on how your situation was handled.

I think you answered my question. Law plus mood = ticket or no ticket.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980

Baker - CDPS, Mike
Tojozzieosue@yahoo.com

Jim,
While I cannot speak for the Arizona Department of Public Safety, you will not receive a citation in Colorado as long as you are in compliance with registration laws in your home state (in this case, Missouri) and any applicable federal registration laws. So if Missouri only requires and issues one number plate to be placed on the front of the vehicle, and if that plate is clearly visible on the front of the vehicle, you will not receive a citation.

I cannot guarantee that you will not be contacted by law enforcement while in Colorado; for example, I would contact any vehicle that I witnessed driving without a number plate affixed to the rear. However, once clarifying the out-of-state registration and verifying that the front plate was attached properly, I would determine that no violation had occurred. Colorado registration laws only govern vehicles that are registered within Colorado.
To be clear, my answers assume that your registration is current, properly attached, and otherwise not in violation. Any other violations witnessed by the law enforcement officer are fair game, but registration should not concern you. Thanks for taking the time to check, sir. Drive safely!
Mike Baker
Sergeant, Public Affairs

Colorado State Patrol

720-556-5331 (cell)

mike.baker@state.co.us
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's exactly right. Any officer with nothing better to do will stop someone without a plate. Normally that results in an arrest and usually for a lot more than traffic, but once they discover that you are in compliance they really do have better things to do.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Arizona H.P.:
All vehicles on the road are subject to individual state laws.

DPS Duty Office

-----Jim Osbern wrote: -----
To: "DOffice@azdps.gov"
Date: 03/21/2013 12:22PM
Subject: Re: Azdps.gov General Inquiry

Thanks, would I not be covered in the law that allows semi-tractors, or the trucks that pull trailers, to have the one plate on the front, and none on the rear? If a truck is Bob-tail, is it subject to a ticket? Just trying to clarify the law for our 7,000 member RV Forum, so we will all be legal when we cone through Arizona.
Jim

ME: is this a non-answer?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Colorado gave the correct answer. For non-commercial if you are legal at home on your registration and licensing you are legal in the remaining 49 states.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am seeking something in writing to forward to the city, I just fired off a letter to Governor Jan Brewer
Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Bucky573
Established Member

M.O.C. #10299
Ozz, I had this same problem in Texas this year. I live in Missouri and register mt truck for GVWR 24K lbs. Missouri issues one plate and requires it to be attached to the front of the vehicle.
This State trooper in Texas stops me for no rear plate when I was driving without the trailer. I tried to explain the terms of the Missouri statue and offered him a copy to read. He quickly informed me that I was in Texas now and needed to conform to the laws in Texas. (I was born and raised in Texas and lived more than 45 years of my life there) So I asked him what he was suggesting. He told me I needed to move my plate to the rear of the truck while I was in Texas and that when I returned to Missouri I could move it back to the front. I then asked questioned the fact that Texas law required a plate on the front and rear and if I moved it I would still be in violation of Texas requirements and also no longer in compliance with Missouri laws where my truck was registered. He then informed me that would be O.K. because "they" preferred the plated to be on the rear in Texas. I then asked, what happens when I'm towing my trailer and you can't see the back plate and there is no front plate. He told me, he could slide up beside me and peek in from the side and see it. Bull_ _it! He gave me a warning ticket.
So I contacted Texas Department of Public Safety by e-mail and got a response similar to the one you received from New Mexico.
Wait it get's better! About 3 days later I'm traveling the same route without the trailer. An Austin city officer stopped me for the same reason. This time he was glad read my copy of the Missouri statue and commented "you learn something new everyday". I went about my merry way. Down the road I saw a chevy dually pull just ahead of me in the next lane. He had a homemade plate on the rear that read " Texas Apportioned Tag on Front". I got my daughter, who we we visiting, to make me a homemade plate that read " Missouri GVWR >12K lbs. Tag on Front". I wasn't stopped again and was there 6 more weeks. I actually had a state trooper pull up and look on the front then drop back and didn't bother me. Good Luck!
Bucky573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good read, Tom. Yikes, we can't win!
It is so wrong when we try to do everything we can to be legal and license properly, just to be hassled when we travel. I guess you were lucky just getting the warning.
Thanks Tom.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Follow the money...more tickets equal more revenue for the state.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We never had a quota! Never! Never!

Okay, one cite per hour worked...or we were considered to be slacking! Guess what? I was a slacker. Actually was seeking out real crimes!

Fought the brass on quotas my whole career! And was proud of it!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Got to worry about a quota system. If a town is serious about it and someone gets behind that's when you get the crap like happened to Ozz.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I totally agree with you Dick. That is why I fought the brass and finally won.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Arizona H.P.:
All vehicles on the road are subject to individual state laws.

DPS Duty Office
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____ Aaaahh, the old police tactic - "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with B.S." Worked for me many times
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
I don't know what the fines are for traffic violations in other states but in CT they are pretty heavy. My dep't. didn't have quotas but they did demand a daily
activity sheet that covered all the calls, reports, crim. arrests, m/v tickets, warnings etc. The new men coming on felt they had to prove something to their
superiors so they would get good marks during their probation period, so handing out a lot of traffic tickets was one way of doing it. When I noticed this going on
I would ask each officer during the briefing if they could afford to pay for those tickets they were handing out. Of course they said no. I told them that we were
making more money than most of the people getting the tickets and they too had families to feed. Warnings were better or even verbal warnings if possible. This way
public relations took effect and we wanted all the good hype we could get not the bad. It made them think about it and hopefully made them realize that we were there to help the citizens too. I had arguments with my superiors about it but I kept doing it because it was right.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Oklahoma is still working on the answer:

Your inquiry is being forwarded to a representative of the appropriate
division for a response.

dlh
Public Information Officer

Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980

Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 6:35 AM
6:35 AM
Message starred
FROM John Hotz TO You
Re: Fw: I was given a $165 ticket in Arizona and Arizona's reply
FromJohn Hotz
ToJim Osbern

Jim,
Here is what the law says as far as Missouri goes:

License plates, required slogan and information--special plates--plates, how displayed--tabs to be used--rulemaking authority, procedure.
301.130. 1. The director of revenue, upon receipt of a proper application for registration, required fees and any other information which may be required by law, shall issue to the applicant a certificate of registration in such manner and form as the director of revenue may prescribe and a set of license plates, or other evidence of registration, as provided by this section. Each set of license plates shall bear the name or abbreviated name of this state, the words "SHOW-ME STATE", the month and year in which the registration shall expire, and an arrangement of numbers or letters, or both, as shall be assigned from year to year by the director of revenue. The plates shall also contain fully reflective material with a common color scheme and design for each type of license plate issued pursuant to this chapter. The plates shall be clearly visible at night, and shall be aesthetically attractive. Special plates for qualified disabled veterans will have the "DISABLED VETERAN" wording on the license plates in preference to the words "SHOW-ME STATE" and special plates for members of the National Guard will have the "NATIONAL GUARD" wording in preference to the words "SHOW-ME STATE".

2. The arrangement of letters and numbers of license plates shall be uniform throughout each classification of registration. The director may provide for the arrangement of the numbers in groups or otherwise, and for other distinguishing marks on the plates.

3. All property-carrying commercial motor vehicles to be registered at a gross weight in excess of twelve thousand pounds, all passenger-carrying commercial motor vehicles, local transit buses, school buses, trailers, semitrailers, motorcycles, motortricycles, motorscooters and driveaway vehicles shall be registered with the director of revenue as provided for in subsection 3 of section 301.030, or with the state highways and transportation commission as otherwise provided in this chapter, but only one license plate shall be issued for each such vehicle.

4. The plates issued to manufacturers and dealers shall bear the letters and numbers as prescribed by section 301.560, and the director may place upon the plates other letters or marks to distinguish commercial motor vehicles and trailers and other types of motor vehicles.

5. No motor vehicle or trailer shall be operated on any highway of this state unless it shall have displayed thereon the license plate or set of license plates issued by the director of revenue or the state highways and transportation commission and authorized by section 301.140. Each such plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle or trailer in a manner so that all parts thereof shall be plainly visible and reasonably clean so that the reflective qualities thereof are not impaired. Each such plate may be encased in a transparent cover so long as the plate is plainly visible and its reflective qualities are not impaired. License plates shall be fastened to all motor vehicles except trucks, tractors, truck tractors or truck-tractors licensed in excess of twelve thousand pounds on the front and rear of such vehicles not less than eight nor more than forty-eight inches above the ground, with the letters and numbers thereon right side up. The license plates on trailers, motorcycles, motortricycles and motorscooters shall be displayed on the rear of such vehicles, with the letters and numbers thereon right side up. The license plate on buses, other than school buses, and on trucks, tractors, truck tractors or truck-tractors licensed in excess of twelve thousand pounds shall be displayed on the front of such vehicles not less than eight nor more than forty-eight inches above the ground, with the letters and numbers thereon right side up or if two plates are issued for the vehicle pursuant to subsection 3 of this section, displayed in the same manner on the front and rear of such vehicles. The license plate or plates authorized by section 301.140, when properly attached, shall be prima facie evidence that the required fees have been paid.

I put the part in bold that deals with the section you are looking for. As far as Missouri goes, as long as a vehicle is following it's home state rules we would not issue a ticket for a particular violation. For example: Even though we require two license plates on a car, we would not issue someone a ticket from Mississippi or Arkansas for just having one license plate on their vehicle because that is what their state that they live in requires. This of course would only apply to someone who was on vacation or travelling through. Once they moved to Missouri, they would be required to get Missouri plates and follow our rules.

Thanks,

Lieutenant John Hotz
Assistant Director
Public Information and Education Division
Missouri State Highway Patrol
573-526-6267
John.Hotz@mshp.dps.mo.gov

Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #20
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Good reading, but if he bolded anything I can't see it on my computer.

In summary, I agree that a vehicle should follow its home registration laws. After all, you can't have more than one plate on a vehicle. All other states should respect all other state's laws. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean the badge wearing officer won't try to disrespect that. Giving you a ticket doesn't mean you are guilty, but some LEOs like the power of making others prove themselves innocent.

No doubt I'm still on your side Ozz, in spirit. Goodyear, AZ is still on my "do not stop there" list. And it still sounds like there's a few questional officers in Texas. Since I have plates in front and rear of my TV and a plate on the rear of the rig, I don't expect a license problem... speeding (62-65 mph while towing) maybe, but not license plate. My driver's license also has the required state "RV endorsement" unlike the majority of others who don't.