Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Beware-Another Scam

I received the following email from someone who hacked our friends address book. Everyone they send email to received it. I left out their names which was part of the message.

"I'm writing this with tears in my eye, my family and I came down here to Spain for a short vacation and got mugged at the park of the hotel we stayed, all our cash, credit card and Cell Phone were stolen off us at GUN POINT but luckily for us we still have our passports with us but don't have enough money to sort the bills so we can get out of here.

We've been to the embassy and the police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves soon but we're having problems settling the hotel bills, and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills, I'm freaked out at the moment and wondering if you could help us with a quick loan, all i need now is $1,850, I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with,I promise to refund it to you as soon as I arrive home. you can have it wired to my name via Western Union i'll have to show my passport as ID to pick it up here. Check:- www.westernunion.com/locator to find the nearest WU around you. Here are the details you need to get it to me;"

What is unfortunate is that it's not restricted to email. Her mother received a phone call from her granddaughter (NOT) requesting money. Her Mom almost paid it but they talked her out of it when she realized that her granddaughter was not out of town.

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

What is unfortunate is that it's not restricted to email. Her mother received a phone call from her granddaughter (NOT) requesting money. Her Mom almost paid it but they talked her out of it when she realized that her granddaughter was not out of town.
A while back my parents received the same phone call who claimed to be my son in need of money.... It took a couple of minutes but they did figure out that he wasn't in Montreal and were being conned... "Hi grandma it's me." The natural reaction is to say the kids name "Kyle?" so now they know your grandkid's name and can carry on with the scam. These scam artists are smooth talkers.

Thanks for posting.
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
there are so many dishonest people in the world.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
There's only two people in this world I trust. One of them is me and the other is NOT you!

Yes, I got the line from a movie but it works and I use it.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Unfortunately you don't need a gun to rob people anymore.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
So, who is taking up a collection for these poor unfortunate people???
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Heck I don't even trust myself. lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Sadly, we are a charitable people and we are touched whenever we hear a sad story. And that bites people in the butt more and more.

Pat sez... IGNORE ANY unsolicited e-mail that
(1) offers to sell you something
(2) offers to buy something from you
(3) asks for money
(4) mentions Western Union in any context
(5) begins with "Greetings in the NAME OF THE LORD"

If a relative or friend needs emergency cash, a phone call will get a much quicker response than an e-mail. You are just never sure where an e-mail really originates, since headers (and return addresses) are VERY easily forged.

While some of these scams are very easy to spot, like the ones that open with "I am BARRISTER Smith Joseph, based in UK with the Smovolian Embassy, and I have financial proposition...," others like the one mentioned by the OP are getting more and more sophisticated.

Send money via Western Union and once it's picked up you have no way of catching the crook. Zip, zero, nada...

I have a friend who sells advertising on a web site. One of his customers was paid for a product with four counterfeit $1,000 cashiers checks. He deposited them and the bank took them. FOUR WEEKS later they came back and told him the checks were fake. Pay up, Bubba...
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
What was it they used to say on Hill Street Blues..."Hey, let's be careful out there".
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
There was an old song with a line "the only thing I can count on now is my fingers" its still works for me in these sort of things LOL.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote