Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Adding 12v Receptacle for Cpap

My cpap machine can take a 12v plug while boon-docking. I was thinking about tapping into the light above the bed and running the wiring down towards the floor. Are there any issues with doing this?
Thanks.
Ken

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Make sure the light's circuit can handle the current load the machine requires. Also, find out what else is on that light circuit to make sure you don't overload the circuit when everything is on with the machine.
Good luck with it!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Do you have a 12 volt outlet in the basement? That might be a better choice.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I am now a member of the CPAP club.

I have also been think how to get power to it. Either 12VDC or 120VAC. I Like the idea of running either from the basement up into the bottom of the bed and putting a outlet on the edge of the bed. My problem is I think I will have to run wires from the battery or power box forward under the overhang to get up under the bed. I have thought of following the hydraulic line. Let me know what you do and pictures would be great.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Jim,
I have one in the basement, opposite side of the headboard and one for the TV at the foot of the bed above the dresser. Not sure how to run the wiring if I tap into those outlets.

John,
I have a 110v plug behind the siding door into the bath. I use a flat plug extension cord that fits fine and plug the machine into it. We just are going for our 1st boon-docking trip and forgot about the cpap. I can get a 12v adaptor for the machine for about $18 which is less than an inverter but it sill leaves me with the same challenge...how to get the 12v receptacle near the headboard.

Ken
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ken,
If you pull the "false" floor under the bed it will give you access to the wires and hydraulic cylinder. I think you will find a 12VDC wire that that feeds the wall lights. You can tap into the 12VDC line there and put the cigarette socket on the side of the bed frame up close to the outside wall.

As Camper4 commented you want to make sure the amperage draw is less than the fuse rating and know what other items are on that fuse.

Good luck. Sorry for the second post.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The propane compartment on the drivers side of our unit is under the side of our bed. The side towards the rear so I ran a dedicated wire from the battery to a 12v receptacle in the floor then I built a collapsible shelf and mounted on the side of the bed for the Cpap
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I installed an outlet on the side of the bed . I ran a wire from the outlet in the basement to a sq d box under the false floor. and then a wire to the outlet. I used a no 12 extenstion cord wire which is bradded so it can flex with the slide coming in and out.I put a plug on the basement end for now as I have to see what else is on that circut. Did not have time to research the plug load before I had to put the Monty to sleep for the winter.
I did not know that you could use the Cpap with 12 volt. Is there a special adaptor?
Patiently waiting until March and head South.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Joe,
Not sure what cpap machine you have but mine has a 12v adaptor. Can run a/c or 12 volt.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Ken
Old 01-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I have a cpap mach but only run on 110, but I ran under the bed and left some room in a loop in the wire, be sure the wire lays flat on the carpet floor under the bed, as the guys from keystone showed me but couldn't do it for insurance reasons, I put a reg 110 receiptal plug using 14/2 wire with a grd on the side of the bed and the cpap sits on the shelf next to the bed. I ran the wire back to the fuse box and put it on the washer breaker. I came through the floor where the hydro lines run. sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A small inverter (100 Watt or so) plugged into the cigarette outlet portion of the bat-wing TV antenna amplifier in the bedroom closet (or where ever they put it in a newer Montana) will give you a convenient 110V outlet. From there a short extension cord will feed your CPAP machine nicely. That is how the two rigs next to me are handling the problem while boondocking.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
i put a 325 watt inverter in the battery/hydraulic area and ran a piece of extension cord up through the floor under the bed and put 120 volt plug box into the bed frame and that is were i plug in my machine as it is only 120 volt. I found that I had to reinforce the paneling as it is very thin and was not strong enough to support any thing.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don, I did as well. The plastic boxes that have the swinging arms work well on that panel board.
I tapped into the unused 20 amp dryer outlet, (I put in a 220 Dryer) with this power source, I wired to and installed an outlet, I plugged in a power strip for tools battery charging, also I ran a power wire up through the floor to the end of the bed. I came off that to power a second outlet at the side of the bed that has a flexable cord. It moves with the bed.

Outlet side of bed plug in side

Outlet at side of bed flex cord that moves with bed

Outlet at foot of bed feeds 2 other outlets

Charging station

This is the return air cavity, the back of the outlet box is to the right
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
BrenkCo,
When we are hooked up to electric I just run my cord into a closet that has a 110 outlet. No problem. But when we are boondocking I have a small inverter that plugs into a 12 volt outlet by the television at the foot of the bed. Then I just use an extension cord to run the CPAP. Not nearly as efficient or as good looking as some of the "fixes" you folks have done. Then again I'm lucky if I can figure out how to plug stuff in!

Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
My husband had a cpap machine but wouldn't use it. I'm not even sure he knows where it is. We have a friend who wouldn't use his cpap, now he uses a mouth guard at night that thrusts the lower jaw forwards and that has taken away the need for him to use the cpap machine, according to his doctors. His wife says he doesn't snore or stop breathing at night any more.

He had to have his doctor refer him for it so his insurance would pay for it. The mouth guard was about $400, required several visits and xrays to have it molded and custom fitted. Does anyone else use one of these mouth guards?

I've seen a commercial lately on TV for a generic one of these lately, but I think it wouldn't work as well as the custom fitted one.

I'm still trying to get my husband to check into the mouth guard.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If you need a CPAP and don't use it you have a very great chance of having a Stroke or a Major Heart Attack. So the alternative to not wearing it though sometimes uncomfortable is a lot worst.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #17
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
hookman... I have talked until I am blue in the face and he won't wear the cpap. I think he wore it for 3 nights and then was done. That's why I was asking if anyone had experience with the mouth guard. It seems like the way to go, especially if someone won't wear the cpap. Oh well, I also keep saying to him, "How much life insurance do we have on you?" That doesn't bother him either.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Last year I started needing a CPAP. During the instructional phase they showed two different types of masks. One was the "full" mouth and nose mask. That, to me, did not look at all comfortable covering the whole nose and mouth. So I opted for the Nasal Pillow Mask These are small cushion nasal items that fit just on the outside of the nasal passageway. There are 4 sizes of Petit, Small, Medium, and large. One of those sizes will fit perfectly into the nasal passage. It is like anything else. It took me a couple nights wearing it and adjusting the straps, but now it is barely held on the head, fits well, and I sleep well.

What type do you have?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:56 AM   #19
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I had to go w/ a full face as I was a mouth breather so the nose didn't work. It took sometime but I needed to make it work. I had over 70 apneas an hour. It was a struggle @ 1st but now I'm never without it.
Ken
Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #20
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I switch off and on from the full-face mask to the nose pillows, depending on how much pollen is floating around. I have my television antennae booster (with 12 VDC outlet) in my wardrobe. I run a 12 power supply across the wardrobe to my bipap machine. I put the machine on the wardrobe shelf at the left end and have plenty of hose to reach me. Plus the wardrobe is opened just enough to allow the hose to pass through and I don't hear the machine run at all. More importanly, the DW doesn't hear the machine run.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote