Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Montyman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8786
Wiring an additionaltrailer behind a Montana

I have reinforced and added a hitch on the back of my 3400 RL so I can tow my golf cart trailer. Has anyone installed a wiring harness to the rear of a Montana for a second trailer? Help needed, Thanks.

Montyman

Montyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Larry when I did mine I had the back pc of belly down to put the hitch on. I welded my hitch right to the frame at the back. While it was down I installed a 7 pin connector same as on the truck in the bottom of the cap right above the hitch. I drilled a hole in it put in the plug and went right up and hooked into the tail lite wires. there is everything you will need rite there.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The guy that made my hitch wired in a flat plug when the pan was down. He said he put on a flat four wire plug because he didn't want me towing a big heavy trailer.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Don't know about your 2009 3400RL, but Lippert told me not to tow anything behind mine. The frame must be very weak, plus towing voids the warranty.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Montyman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8786
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm actually looking for the wiring details to wire up the second trailer. It has a standard flat 4 wiring set up and I would like to know which wires I connect to on the Montana.
I know the frame is not the strongest, but I have seen a lot of Montanas pulling boats, golf carts, etc. Tongue weight will be under 100 lbs.
Thanks again.
Montyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Wonder is the Monty is wired with the standard white, brown, green and yellow for the tail lights? Would be pretty simple if they did. I'm bettin they didn't tho. Just used whatever they had laying around that day.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 AM   #7
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Montyman:
Get a 12 volt bug lite with a probe on it and unscrew the tail lights and drop them out. You can hook up your towing veh. and turn things on and probe each one to see which wire is which. Turn lights and brake lights are the same circuit wire(Yellow or green on the light assy.). Tail is usually brown. The tail light assembly will be standard color code, but when they hook up the assembly they change to yellow, white, and red or whatever they were using the day that your trailer was built....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thats what I did. I took a 12v test lite with the montana plugged up to my truck and cked each wire to make sure I got it right. the DW said I have ADD. I only used 4 wires but with the 7 pin cond you have a lock to hold it together. IIRC will is rite about the colors. JMHO If the hitch is installed correctly the lippert frame will hold just fine. I have pulled with mine for about 3 yrs Again JMHO.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote