Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Awning Arms Alignment

I have noticed that when I raise my awning the arms do not align and are about 1/4 inch off set. I have to get ladder and get up there and push them over so they will seat. So what is the trick, how do you get them to align so the inner bar seats into the outer bar? This seems to be getting worse each time. Also when I got to pull the awning out, the bars tend to hang up within each other.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The awning itself has shifted on the tube. Put the awning down and pull on the fabric by the tube. It doesn't take much to move the fabric but it is a case of trial and error. Pull the fabric left or right whichever is needed. Put the awning up. If still not aligning bring it back down and do it again.
Being you are only out a 1/4 inch it shouldn't take much.

NOW after you have the awning properly aligned bring the awning down and mark the tube at the fabric with a magic marker. Do both ends
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Glenn, that is what we did at the stick built, worked at first campsite, second campsite, nope, no worka. SIGHHH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Carole, So whad ya do wrong the 2nd time????????????

BTW-This shifting of the fabric is generally caused by the wind. If you don't have the awning secured properly when down you stand a good chance of the fabric moving.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thanks Glenn, will give that a try and report results. Sounds easy enough.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a adjustment at the top of the of the awning on the arm that is stationary. There is a plate bolted into the camper and there is side to side adjustment.We have done that twice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Rich, Where is this located. Maybe you can post a photo.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you look at the photo in our sig it is right at the very top of the arm. You will need to get on a ladder to get a good look and be on the roof hanging over to adjust it (Helens job). It was adjustedthe first time on the PDI at the dealer and Helen did it just last week.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ok, Rich, would you and Helen show Al how to do this in Mackinaw??

Glenn, what did we do wrong the 2nd time, if I knew we would have fixed/adjusted/realigned. GRRR.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:48 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have no idea. That's why I asked.

Still gotta check out Rich's suggestion.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Maybe that can be our show& tell????? Hopefully they are still the same. Ours is a built in April 06. There is a bracket that has 2 inches side to side adjustment. Our right side looking at it was not lining up and a small adjustmet corrected it.. I did not kow about the awning pull method...will look into that//
Old 07-27-2009, 05:12 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Rich, the only thing about your way is and be on the roof hanging over to adjust it. Never been on the roof and don't plan on starting now and don't even think about Lorraine going up there.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:42 AM   #13
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I have been noticing ours does not align either. Today after putting it off for awhile, I am going to adjust the arm. I do choose to do the ladder and not the roof method.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am with you on that Glenn. It looks like you can do it from a ladder but I don't do ladders and Helen will not let me on the roof
Old 07-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess my unit is out of adjustment as well. EVERY time I have retracted it except the PDI, it needed a good whack to get it back into place (usually the left side by the door). I didn't think it was the wind because the wind usually comes from the nose of the RV. I just checked this on my last trip, the awning started flapping and the wind was coming from the front. I retracted the awning and the arm at the door was to the right very slightly and I gave it a good smack to be able to lock it into place.

Two considerations to ask about:

1. Is the fabric supposed to be the same distance on either side of the rollup? The fabric is more to the right than to the left by more than an inch (eyeballed, but noticeable). I don't know if the fabric shifted to the right or if it has always been that way.

2. For Glenn - What did you mean by "fastening" the awning? Are there any specific additions for keeping the fabric or awning frame taut? Admittedly, this is a big awning. What do you have available for your rig's awning?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On our PDI 3 years ago the awning did not lock into place ad the PDI guy adjusted it or we would have never known about that adjustment. It went out of wack about a month ago and Helen remembered the adjustment. We have not had a problem with our awnings..
Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Our previous TT came with a small sheet metal screw through the fabric at one end into the roller tube to keep the fabric from "walking". On our current TT on the original awning, I added a screw at each end after making the adjustments Rich is talking about. The screws, however, did NOT prevent me from hitting that tree with the awning last vacation. I haven't even had the new awning open to look at it, yet.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #18
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Our problem with the electric awning is that the arms are set to wide to fit the receptacle on the wall. Unless the roll itself is shorter the arm supports need to be adjusted wider.
If I whack carefully the end of the roller do you think it would "shorten?"
Maybe I will let CW work on it when I take it in for other warranty work. Or maybe not...
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Both Glenn's method and Rich's have worked for us. That was our prior Montana. Haven't adjusted this one. If one doesn't work, try the other. The bracket Rich talks about is easiest to see if the awning arm is not up against it. Pull the awning out, then get on the roof or ladder (it's not that hard to do from the roof). Two lag bolts hold the bracket in place. You'll see the slot they go through. Just loosen, move the bracket a little, tighten and test. I first check the fabric alignment because if that's off very much the bracket won't adjust enough to fix the problem. I have heard the fabric is supposed to have a screw through the fabric into the grooved rail holding it on the rig so the material doesn't move. I need to check to make sure ours has that screw.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

2. For Glenn - What did you mean by "fastening" the awning? Are there any specific additions for keeping the fabric or awning frame taut? Admittedly, this is a big awning. What do you have available for your rig's awning?
I was referring to deflapers and straps.
When my awning is down I use 2 to 3 deflapers on each end and the corners are held down using ratchet straps and HD rubber bungee cords that act as shock absorbers.

I now better understand the adjustments Rich is referring to.
Correct me if I'm wrong but these are the mounting brackets for the awning, correct?
These brackets could conceivably re-adjust an awning that is just slightly out of alignment and that's fine but if it's a 1/2" or more it won't work at all. Personally I feel it is easier doing it the way I described. No need for any tools, no need for a ladder, no need to get on the roof.
If you use the magic marker, as I described, you will always have thosen marks for a reference BEFORE you put the awning up. If the awning isn't where it belongs make the adjustment first and you will be good to go.