Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Checking on the stick house while on the road

I know everyone has a system worked out, family members, a good neighbor that doesn't hate you, maybe even a Realtor or house sitter.
I have Randy, the guy that took over my business checking it every once and a while, (all my neighbors hate me..) But also we can look it up on the Internet, I have 8 surveillance cameras we can see what's happening real time, or pick a date and rewind to it. Gives us peace of mind to see it is still there.
The grass needed cut a few days ago, I was about to call the grass cutter guy but he emailed me and told me he cut it that day.
Also, we wondered if the UPS or Fed-Ex guy left us a package on the front porch, as it hasn't caught up with us. It is not there (Maybe the neighbor took it)...???
What do you other long-timer folks do ?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Hi Ozz,

What kind of system do you have that you can look real time to see whats going on at home?
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ozz -

We are building our dream home in Colorado with the eye toward that very future. We are having a Control4 system being installed. I could buy a new car for the price I'm using to get peace of mind. But, when you consider the amount of damage a freeze up, water leak or break-in could cost, to me it's worth it. Our system will allow us to monitor and control temperatures, light, monitor water flow, check garage doors, monitor motion inside the house and use video cameras over IP. Plus, the distributed video allows us to have our A/V equipment in a central server rack and watch any dvd or satellite on any TV and Ipod dock for playing audio in different rooms.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Would it be cheaper to hire a caretaker for your property?
Sounds like an extensive system with a lot of capability. You're my kind of gadget guy!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

Ozz -

We are building our dream home in Colorado with the eye toward that very future. We are having a Control4 system being installed. I could buy a new car for the price I'm using to get peace of mind. But, when you consider the amount of damage a freeze up, water leak or break-in could cost, to me it's worth it. Our system will allow us to monitor and control temperatures, light, monitor water flow, check garage doors, monitor motion inside the house and use video cameras over IP. Plus, the distributed video allows us to have our A/V equipment in a central server rack and watch any dvd or satellite on any TV and Ipod dock for playing audio in different rooms.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

Hi Ozz,

What kind of system do you have that you can look real time to see whats going on at home?
It is not as expandable as Ron and Terrie's system, but coupled with the security monitoring system we have, it is good. We have 5 outdoor cameras, 22 watt fluorescent floods for them, (You can go I.R.floods, they run $100.00 each), (cost) and 3 indoor cameras. I have an 11 day loop recorder that can be doubled, but with a quality loss. I have all the cameras on motion, you can grid the shot and remove any trees in the grid or traffic areas, pretty sophisticated system. I had bids of $7,000 and $8,000, but I installed and wired everything for a little short of $2700.00

Nice system Ron, I like the capabilities.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We got lucky this year. In addition to a security system that is monitored 24/7, we have a live-in house keeper. Literally, she cleaned our house once or twice a month and when we made ready to depart, she needed a place to live for the summer (after coming out of a relationship involving a lot of alcohol).

She keeps the place spotless and also pays for electricity used. We count that as "rent" and shows the neighborhood that the house is NOT empty or unoccupied. We gave her an access code that is hers alone (which allows her to only arm/disarm the security system but no other changes). She also has her own phone number.

No cameras or recorders, just human (and reliable) eyes.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Ozz,try this link..and tell me what you think.
[http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx16a_...ome_burst.html
quote]Originally posted by Ozz

I know everyone has a system worked out, family members, a good neighbor that doesn't hate you, maybe even a Realtor or house sitter.
I have Randy, the guy that took over my business checking it every once and a while, (all my neighbors hate me..) But also we can look it up on the Internet, I have 8 surveillance cameras we can see what's happening real time, or pick a date and rewind to it. Gives us peace of mind to see it is still there.
The grass needed cut a few days ago, I was about to call the grass cutter guy but he emailed me and told me he cut it that day.
Also, we wondered if the UPS or Fed-Ex guy left us a package on the front porch, as it hasn't caught up with us. It is not there (Maybe the neighbor took it)...???
What do you other long-timer folks do ?
[/quote]
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We count ourselves as very lucky to have a very nice neighbor who keeps an eye on things for us. She keeps the paper picked up and the advertisements that get dropped on our door steps or stuck in the screen door. She also keeps and eye on the pool. It is so nice to have and eyes and hands on person watching the place.

I really want to get a video system set up so I could watch from anywhere but so far the cost seems to be just a bit too much. We'll see how that goes as we move on down the road. Anyway I'm envious of all the neat systems you folks described. Way to go guys. Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wendell, I am not a big fan of wireless, too many things can go wrong, the battery aspect included. As in most projects, the set-up and operational time, learning curve and ironing out kinks is no small project. When using a budget system, the problems multiply exponentially. I would not do it, sounds good, but isn't.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ozz -

I agree on the wireless. Eventually it will get there, but it is still a little early. I got the Home Automation for Dummies book and used that as a guide. There are lots of options and a lot of them have been mentioned here. Terrie's sister lives two lots over from where we're building. Unfortunately (or fortunately), they will probably be our traveling companions. Which leaves us with no one close to keep an eye on things.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote