Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Dish TV and Two Receivers

We just started thinking about purchasing a King Tailgater with a Vip211z tuner and using Dish as the provider. After reading several posts and learning a lot about satellite reception and everything that goes along with it (and still reading and learning) I have a couple of questions. In our 2017 3661RE Montana I want to have a bedroom receiver and living room receiver but with the capability to tune/receive two different programs. I learned that if the living room receiver is looking at satellite 110, I believe the programs associated with 110 can be viewed on both TV's BUT can the TV's look at different programs associated with 110? I hope this makes sense. I know if the living room receiver gets changed to a program on satellite 119, the bedroom tv program will go away. Is there a app or website that lists the Dish programming on satellites 110 and 119? What programming is on satellite 129? Will the above equipment I mention the correct equipment to allow the bedroom tv and living room tv to watch different Dish programs. I'm still reading and learning, any additional help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
We use a 722 receiver which allows the living room and the bedroom to watch different channels on different satellites.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
With two receivers you can watch different programs if they are on the same satellite.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have a Wingard G2+ permanently mounted on the ladder and a King Tailgater on a tripod. The wingard sends to the livingroom and the King to the bedroom that way we can watch what we want.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Traveling Three:
I have been down this path and here are my observations. Most of the HD programming that I watch is on 119 and 129. Very little is on 110. I tried to find out what programming was on each satellite and never found good documentation. The "info" button when pressed twice on your remote using the VIP211 gives you the satellite.

If you are trying to use two receivers, I might suggest that the portable dish is not a great solution for you. Using a tripod and standard dish solves your problem. You can then access 100% of your programming on each receiver without any limitations. The portable dishes use software to find the satellites thus limits you to one at a time for viewing.

I chose the tripod and standard dish vs the roof mounted travelr for a few reasons. One is that I camp in trees often enough that I would have to carry the dish anyway. The second is cost.

Learning to set up the dish is easy with the right equipment. If you go that route, PM me and I'll let you know what I learned over the years of doing this.

As a side note, I found that the farther north I traveled, the harder time the portable dish had picking up HD signals on 129. The reason for this is you are on a much flatter trajectory thus shooting through far more of earths atmosphere. The other limitation that the portables has is coax cable length. The dish is smaller thus if you need to move your dish farther from the RV to pickup a clear sky, you can lose reception.

Hope that helps some.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Traveling Three:
I have been down this path and here are my observations. Most of the HD programming that I watch is on 119 and 129. Very little is on 110. I tried to find out what programming was on each satellite and never found good documentation. The "info" button when pressed twice on your remote using the VIP211 gives you the satellite.

If you are trying to use two receivers, I might suggest that the portable dish is not a great solution for you. Using a tripod and standard dish solves your problem. You can then access 100% of your programming on each receiver without any limitations. The portable dishes use software to find the satellites thus limits you to one at a time for viewing.

I chose the tripod and standard dish vs the roof mounted travelr for a few reasons. One is that I camp in trees often enough that I would have to carry the dish anyway. The second is cost.

Learning to set up the dish is easy with the right equipment. If you go that route, PM me and I'll let you know what I learned over the years of doing this.

As a side note, I found that the farther north I traveled, the harder time the portable dish had picking up HD signals on 129. The reason for this is you are on a much flatter trajectory thus shooting through far more of earths atmosphere. The other limitation that the portables has is coax cable length. The dish is smaller thus if you need to move your dish farther from the RV to pickup a clear sky, you can lose reception.

Hope that helps some.

Ken
Ken knows what he's talking about, He's helped me, however I can only tell you about mine. I posted here and another forum. Lots of good advice. I ended up getting a Pathway X2 and 2 wally receivers. Just got them all set up yesterday at my house, and then packed away in our 5th wheel waiting for our next trip. I can only tell you that my system was easy to set up, great customer service from Winegard. The worst thing I know so far is, the main box powers the antennia through the coax cable. So if you want to just watch TV in your bedroom, then the living room Receiver has to be "ON" not the best way if like me your using solar most of the time.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Mel,
Thanks. Just a side note, the fixed dish with tripod requires no power...just sayin! Enjoy your new setup.

Ken
Old 07-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #8
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Mel,
Thanks. Just a side note, the fixed dish with tripod requires no power...just sayin! Enjoy your new setup.

Ken
Yep I'm thinking now that I would have followed through with your offer to let me see your set up. Oh well, I asked the tech how much one receiver and the antennia uses while watching a movie. He put me on hold and came back and said 50 watts. I said 50 watts per hour? He said yes. I'll run my own test later. I love how easy it is to set up. I was thinking about 15 years ago I had Direct Tv at at my house, it was always getting out of adjustment and was a B---- to get it back on a satellite. But I know it's easier now. Maybe next year I'll pick up a fixed dish, as I really think the Pathway is not the best choice for Solar Boondocking. I really like not runnig the generator.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Mel,
Other than losing HD in Oregon (we watch sports), the 2nd biggest reason for going with the fixed dish was boondocking. My first time at Quartzsite was at the rally, January during the football playofffs. When I switched from batteries to generator power the Tailgater has to reset it self (no temporary memory). The process of relocating the satellites, downloading the guide, etc sometimes takes about 20-30 minutes. That caused me to miss the first quarter of a playoff game. Since the fixed dish uses no power, it is not an issue.

In actuality, I solved the problem, thanks to another forum member, but powering the entertainment slide with an inverter 100% of the time while boondocking. Even so, I went back to the fixed dish.....really because I travel with the Hopper and Joey now.

Ken
Old 07-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Another vote for the standard fixed dish. I use the standard 1000.2 dish with an EA Hybrid LNB mounted on a surveyor's tripod and it is feeding my Hopper3 receiver. Works GREAT and is easy to set up. I have set it up as far away from the Montana as 100' with no problem. I only feed the living area tv but if wanted would be easy to get a Joey for the other tv.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote