Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #21
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Fauch, it seems what you're arguing is the max load rating isn't reached till the tire is rotating at the max speed rating. I don't think that's correct. The max load rating is achieved by psi, no? If you look at a load rating table, increased load occurs at higher psi, up to max psi. The max speed rating is just that, the highest speed for which the tire is rated. For me, I could care less how fast the tire can go because I think 65mph is a good speed hauling a 16,000lb brick.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #22
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauch View Post
The Sailun is an ST tire, speed rating is 75 mph
Maybe the best G rated ST tire on the market but far from the best G rated LT tire
on the market

And in your opinion which G rated LT tire is the best. Hopefully you are not going to say the Goodyear G614's.

I invite you to do a search on the Goodyear G614, and the same on the Sailun S637, and get back with us on what you find. I have, and know the track record of the G614, and besides being way overpriced , they have a horrible track record as far as blowouts, and tread separation.Granted they have improved, but still hear about them. So far, and not saying there hasn't been issues, I have just never read about a blowout on the Sailun S637.

Sailuns have been on the market for a few years now, time enough now to know how dependable they have become. Its not a wait ,and see how they do anymore. FYI, they were an LT tire up until about a year ago, and changed to ST for import purpose. Same tire with ST on them instead of LT. Trailer use only when they were an LT, trailer use only now as the ST. If not mistaken the G614 is also trailer use only, but an LT tire. What difference would it make if Goodyear decided to put ST on their G614.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #23
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
The Sailun S637 is an ST tire, speed rating is 4080 lbs at 75 mph.
VERY GOOD the ' made in china ' means less than that rating
Sailun S637 ST 235/85/16 4400 lbs @ 110 psi

Sailun S637 ST 235/80/16 4080 lbs @ 110 psi

Not sure how you determine they have a less rating then given, but never the less its a given they match or exceed the Goodyear G614.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #24
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Fauch, it seems what you're arguing is the max load rating isn't reached till the tire is rotating at the max speed rating. I don't think that's correct. The max load rating is achieved by psi, no? If you look at a load rating table, increased load occurs at higher psi, up to max psi. The max speed rating is just that, the highest speed for which the tire is rated. For me, I could care less how fast the tire can go because I think 65mph is a good speed hauling a 16,000lb brick.
I think, and agree with you , they reach their max weight rating at max psi.

65 mph is a good speed towing these heavy fifth wheels. I too could care less about speed rating being 75 mph.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #25
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I do not know why this always gets so complicated.
A trailer tire is maxed out at 65 mph
The newer Sailuns and some others are maxed out at 75 or ~80mph
A tire that is load rated at 106 mph has a lot of reserve capacity at 65 mph.
The load limit on a 65 mph tire starts diminishing above that speed.
The load limit on a 106 mph tire is not reached until 106 mph.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #26
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I will give my perspective on the tires. A cheap Trailer tire is just that. A cheap LT tire is not a whole lot better but is rated higher. A good trailer tire like the Sailun, Goodyear etc is a heavy duty higher load and speed rated tire. I think of peace of mind because the load and speed rating. Seems like a lot of retired people will never go over 55 mph so the point might be mute. For those that regularly go over 55 or even 65/70 I think it becomes quite important. I also feel that the closer to the max load you go the better the tire should be. Take a Sailun or Goodyear without being mounted and pick it up and you will feel the difference in weight alone. These tires are for serious work and serious load.

Tom Marty
Old 04-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #27
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
I do not know why this always gets so complicated.
A trailer tire is maxed out at 65 mph
The newer Sailuns and some others are maxed out at 75 or ~80mph
A tire that is load rated at 106 mph has a lot of reserve capacity at 65 mph.
The load limit on a 65 mph tire starts diminishing above that speed.
The load limit on a 106 mph tire is not reached until 106 mph.
Right on........

My Durvis R250 is speed rated 106mph. 3042lbs @ 106 mph. So @ 65 the load rating is "probably" closer to 3500lbs. They weigh 59lbs, same as a G614.

This tire stuff is not that hard folks.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #28
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
LT v ST:
I have seen a number of LT tires on two and three axle trailers, both RVs and gooseneck livestock trailers blown out because of tight turning and sliding the tire sideways with a load on the trailer. LT tires are not designed to take such punishment; ST tires are. If you never make a tight turn, you may be OK with the LT. If you ever have to get into a tight spot in a campground or a fueling station, you will slide a tire sideways and likely blow it out if it is a LT. Sure, they are rated higher but for the job they are designed to do, which is not on a multi-axle trailer.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #29
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just to be argumentative ... I've run LT's on my last 3 fivers since 2000 ... no issues. My 2005 2980RL that I ordered came with LT's on it right from the factory. Several others here on the MOC run LT's. We watch our weight numbers and pull on down the road. As with most other topics .... different experiences from different RV'ers.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #30
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2010 View Post
LT v ST:
I have seen a number of LT tires on two and three axle trailers, both RVs and gooseneck livestock trailers blown out because of tight turning and sliding the tire sideways with a load on the trailer. LT tires are not designed to take such punishment; ST tires are. If you never make a tight turn, you may be OK with the LT. If you ever have to get into a tight spot in a campground or a fueling station, you will slide a tire sideways and likely blow it out if it is a LT. Sure, they are rated higher but for the job they are designed to do, which is not on a multi-axle trailer.
I have to disagree with the above. However, all LT tires are not created equal. A "pick a name here" $100 tire you get at Wmart and put on a heavy trailer, yes you will probably have a issue because the thread is a traction tread and wants to grip the road.

But a LT tire with a hard rubber compound, a non aggressive tread, will give great results on a multi-axle trailer. As a example look at the Bridgestone Duravis R250. A E rated tire, 3042 lb rating @ 106 mph. Weighs 59 lbs and is a all steel tire (same as a G614). Slow down to highway speeds of 65 or so and it's load carrying ability is that of a G ST tire.

My '14 3150RL, bought in March 13, has had R250's on it since I brought it home and their service is flawless.

The Firestone Transforce is another good option in a LT tire.

That said, when my R250's age out, I going to look hard at the Sailun G stuff.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
Old 05-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have GY Wranglers on my 5er. I have had my truck turned almost 90 degrees from the trailer with no problem.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #32
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
ST Tires are fairly new in the RV market, for years most trailers ran Truck tires if heavy or if fairly light nothing more than Passenger Car tires. And you never heard much about tire issues until ST Tires hit the market place.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #33
Buckeye83
Established Member

M.O.C. #18867
Quote:
'N' speed rating on the GY Endurance is 2830 lbs @87 mph. A long way from 3042 lbs at 106mph. Another ST E rated tire. NOT an LT E rated tire.

T225/75R15
117/112N E
Trailer Use Only
None 2,830 lbs.
After speaking with a couple of GY engineers and corporate sales we have decided to try the new GY endurance tires over the GY G614. The 235/80/16 tires are rated at 3420 pounds at 80 psi. This is the direct replacement for our HC and well within our scaled weights. The 235/85/16 tires are rated at 3638 at 80 psi which may be suitable for the Montana. They both carry the N speed rating.

They get mounted tomorrow...
Buckeye83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #34
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
As long as you avoid tight turns and heavy loads, you may get by with the LT tires but I have seen too many gooseneck loads of livestock with one or more blown tires when backing into a tight unloading facility. They virtually all have run truck tires in the mistaken belief they will give better service, and maybe they will, so long as no sliding sideways of the tire occurs.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #35
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Run the gamet with tires

I have run the Good Year Marathon tires from China enough to know the problem that comes with China made tires. After buying a new Montana in 2011 and sitting in a campground in Virginia with four bad tires I decided to investigate the tires situation on campers.

I came to the conclusion that Good Year G614 tires were the way to go I bought wheels that would accommodate the 110 psi for the G614 and installed the G614 with the new wheels and never looked back.

Two months ago I bought a used 2015 3611 RL and went searching for tires. This time I was not able to afford the G614 and new wheels so I searched for light truck tires but found that Good Year has introduced a new trailer tire made in the USA. Good Year is trying to over come the bad reputation that comes with trailer tires so they made the Endurance. I bought the Endurance and mounted them on the Montana and have logged two thousand miles so far with no problems.

I have found that most, if not all manufactures will put 7,000 pound axles on a camper and then on paper rate them at 6,000 pounds so they can put a lesser grade tire on the camper. In other words the tire on the camper is at its legal limit at dry weight so when you load the camper with your stuff you are marginal on the safety and weight the tire is able to carry. Thus early blow outs, tread separation and the list goes on.

If I had planned to keep our present camper four or more years I would have found a way to put the Good Year G614 tires on it, but at my age I don't know how many good years I have left to travel and be safe. Anyway that is my two cents worth on this subject and I hope it helps someone.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #36
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I did a bit of research on a Marathon and a Endurance. A 235/80/16 in a Marathon weighs 39#'s a Endurance weighs 40#'s. Both seem to have the same fabric/steel construction.

To me it looks like Goodyear is building the Marathon in the USA and calling it a Endurance. Going to pass on the Endurance.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #37
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
I did a bit of research on a Marathon and a Endurance. A 235/80/16 in a Marathon weighs 39#'s a Endurance weighs 40#'s. Both seem to have the same fabric/steel construction.

To me it looks like Goodyear is building the Marathon in the USA and calling it a Endurance. Going to pass on the Endurance.
You may be absolutely correct. Marathon were made in the US before being manufactured in China. Either way, they need people willing to pay to test them for 3 - 5 years before I'm confident in them.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #38
Buckeye83
Established Member

M.O.C. #18867
In speaking with the design engineers at GY the sidewall construction is different between the Marathon and Endurance. Weight is a factor to consider but over the last several years advances have been made in many materials (not only tires) that will allow you to reduce weight but maintain or improve strength in the sidewalls. I guess I will be one of their guinea pigs. We are a 1,000 miles in with no issues.
Buckeye83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #39
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye83 View Post
In speaking with the design engineers at GY the sidewall construction is different between the Marathon and Endurance. Weight is a factor to consider but over the last several years advances have been made in many materials (not only tires) that will allow you to reduce weight but maintain or improve strength in the sidewalls. I guess I will be one of their guinea pigs. We are a 1,000 miles in with no issues.
I like "testers" more than guinea pigs 👌. I'll run what arrives on my HC next month until fall. I have had great luck with Carlisle and may switch to them in LRF. I understand HC wheels in 2017 are rated to 110 psi so may consider a LRG.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #40
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flyer View Post
I have run the Good Year Marathon tires from China enough to know the problem that comes with China made tires. After buying a new Montana in 2011 and sitting in a campground in Virginia with four bad tires I decided to investigate the tires situation on campers.

I came to the conclusion that Good Year G614 tires were the way to go I bought wheels that would accommodate the 110 psi for the G614 and installed the G614 with the new wheels and never looked back.

Two months ago I bought a used 2015 3611 RL and went searching for tires. This time I was not able to afford the G614 and new wheels so I searched for light truck tires but found that Good Year has introduced a new trailer tire made in the USA. Good Year is trying to over come the bad reputation that comes with trailer tires so they made the Endurance. I bought the Endurance and mounted them on the Montana and have logged two thousand miles so far with no problems.

I have found that most, if not all manufactures will put 7,000 pound axles on a camper and then on paper rate them at 6,000 pounds so they can put a lesser grade tire on the camper. In other words the tire on the camper is at its legal limit at dry weight so when you load the camper with your stuff you are marginal on the safety and weight the tire is able to carry. Thus early blow outs, tread separation and the list goes on.

If I had planned to keep our present camper four or more years I would have found a way to put the Good Year G614 tires on it, but at my age I don't know how many good years I have left to travel and be safe. Anyway that is my two cents worth on this subject and I hope it helps someone.

I respectably disagree on all china tires. Sailun S637's are made in china, and I have yet to read a negative comment about them . Goodyear G614's are a good tire, they should be at twice the price of Sailuns.

The 614's have sure had their share of problems,granted they have improved. IMHO Sailuns have already proved to have a much better track record then the G614's have EVER had.

The problem was at one time the Goodyear was just about the only game in town for a G rated tire, that is not the case anymore . To each his own, but I think Goodyear should be a little more competitive , twice the price for a tire that is arguably inferior to some others. Yes if they have a blowout Goodyear will pay for repairs, if it was a faulty tire, but that comes with a price tag, and again IMO you are paying that high price for insurance. I don't need to be double covered on insurance, I have auto insurance to cover damage.