Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I think everyone agrees the EL, AZ, and Skew change as you move around the country. The values for a specific location differ depending on the Antenna/LNB you are using. The numbers for a SL3 (looking at 99, 101, and 103) are different from the numbers for a 3 LNB (using 101, 110 and 119) in the same location. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing AZ, EL, and Skew from Dishpointer v. DirecTV's website v. entering a zipcode into the receiver.

As the OP has a HD receiver, he most likely is using a SL3 LNB to get his signals. HD is on 99 and 103. the 101 sat provides non-HD signals, some music and misc channels. The 101 Sat is an old style one that can be aligned and peaked using a cheap "squealer" meter. The 99 and 103 Sats use much newer and more sophisticated technology and require an expensive special purpose meter to tune them in. But it doesn't matter. Use a good tripod (TV4RV.com is a good source), get it plumb, set the EL and Skew correctly, and then tune to, and peak, the 101 Sat using whatever meter you have (cheap to expensive). Because 99 and 103 are *SO* close to 101, they too will be plenty strong to be useable. No need to employ a Birddog (or alternative) to handle their special signals.

I can have my SL3 antenna setup within 10 minutes from start to finish using just the 101 Sat and then start watching HD stations.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Carl's set up is exactly mine and he is exactly right. As I said you must know which sat's you are looking at for proper set up. after bit of experience we can set up on the 101 sat like carl said and the others are close and only need tweeking.
We also went into the directv set up and copied down all the readings when we have a strong signal on all sats.We can now after time just look for those readings on the Sat pro meter and know we are good.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #23
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
Ditto what Carl says. A good STABLE tripod and absolutely plumb mast is essential. We have a tripod from tv4rv.com, slimline dish, and SWM 3LNB(so we only need one sat cable from dish to receiver) . I have no meter. The few techs I've talked to said I'd never get aligned without a meter. Well, maybe we're not quite getting mostly 100's on the receiver, but always from 2-6 100's, a couple in the upper 80's, the rest in the mid to upper 90's. Works for us. We get no more lost signal/pixelating during storms than we get at home(which was professionally aligned). We use 2-way radios and use the meter on the receiver to get our signal locked in. It's a little slower process than with a hand held meter(it's never taken us more than 15 min). There's a lot of folks here with a lot of experience moving around the country with DT and have no problems with either standard or hidef, or changing local channels with a phone call to DT. They all give good advise, better than what I could give. But the two things they all say is get a good stable tripod and PLUMB the mast. Dishpointer pro on a smartphone is a big help too so you can be assured you have a clear shot at the sky from your dish to the sats. Good luck and after doing it a few times you'll be up and running in short order every time you move locations.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Jim, did you have the new Genie and mini setup at your home on your new contract? If so, what receiver did you get HR34 or 44?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #25
frankandpam

M.O.C. #11210
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snowbirds R us

I just had the service man from Direct TV here a short time ago to receive a high def receiver and dish from him here at the house. I asked him if I could put this "dish" on the "tripod" I have and receive a signal and he said yes. Also, I asked him what the angle and azmuth settings were for this area and he told me 45 degree elevation angle and 195 degrees for the compass azmuth. I asked him too, if I took this same setup to a different location, outside my local area, should I use the angle and azmuth settings Direct TV has on their website for a different area. He said not to bother cause the 45 degrees elevation angle and 195 degrees azmuth would work everywhere. I asked if he was sure and he said yes. Still don't sound right to me. What do you all think?
That will absolutely not work across the country!!!!
frankandpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
emptynest
Established Member

M.O.C. #12805
If you have an iPhone or other smart phones there an app called Dish Align. You select your satellite, for the HD (three head LNB) Direct TV it is DirecTV 5 LNB 101.0 West. This app will show you where to point your dish to find the satellite. It usually just takes me a couple of adjustments and I've got it.

I have my dish mounted on a wood platform on the ground and have not had any trouble finding the signal.
emptynest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Sorry for the late reply. Work issues keep popping up. DT technician showed up again and I traded my HD receiver he brought last week for a standard receiver which will work with my "slimline" DT dish. All is well so far. My old standard Phillips receiver apparently was no longer supported and hence all the problems. He activated it and told me everything was good and use it in good health. As far as the mini or Genie, I have neither of them. What I have at home would too cumbersome of a setup to use on the road. Thanks for all the helpfull reply folks.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Jim, did you have the new Genie and mini setup at your home on your new contract? If so, what receiver did you get HR34 or 44?